PDA

View Full Version : Smart Covers and Vertical Lines

jeff_siler
May 16, 2011, 11:58 PM
I've seen few videos showing the smart covers leaving marks on the screen after a bit of use. Are you all seeing this on a regular basis? If so what is your best practices for keeping them away?

LDTaylor85
May 17, 2011, 12:04 AM
I've seen few videos showing the smart covers leaving marks on the screen after a bit of use. Are you all seeing this on a regular basis? If so what is your best practices for keeping them away?

Yes, everyone that uses a smart cover has this issue. Just wipe the screen off when it gets annoying enough. No big deal

jeff_siler
May 17, 2011, 12:07 AM
After you wipe them off do they come back the next time you close the cover?

cattledog
May 17, 2011, 12:34 AM
I've been using my iPad with the smart cover for two weeks now and have not noticed any vertical lines. Maybe it takes more time to show up?

xraytech
May 17, 2011, 01:44 AM

This has been discussed before. Those lines wipe away just fine. Or you can do this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE2zlE_xCtc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And those lines are gone.

sotie
May 17, 2011, 10:05 AM
Yes, they will come back unless you clean the inside of the smart cover. The lines are actually areas which are clean and the other areas are not clean. This happens because the microfiber interior of the smart cover attracts natural skin oils. Then those oils are transferred to the screen when the cover is closed.

To clean I just use a dab of dish soap on a wet cloth and scrub.

revenent
May 17, 2011, 11:00 AM
I gave both the smart cover and the ipad screen a good wipe and all is normal for now.

BruiserBear
May 17, 2011, 11:29 AM
Yes, they will come back unless you clean the inside of the smart cover. The lines are actually areas which are clean and the other areas are not clean. This happens because the microfiber interior of the smart cover attracts natural skin oils. Then those oils are transferred to the screen when the cover is closed.

To clean I just use a dab of dish soap on a wet cloth and scrub.

I think it's more likely these lines are simply from dust that the microfiber gathers every time you open up the iPad and use it as a stand. Whatever surfaces that sits on gathers dust, and when the cover is closed into the screen the dust is what creates the lines.

Also, scrubbing with soap and water seems a bit like overkill, don't you think? It usually comes off with a quick wipe from a cloth.

3goldens
May 17, 2011, 11:31 AM
it's not a serious issue.
get a cloth wipe it off. keep the inside of your
smart cover as clean as you can to prevent it from happening.

kingalien
May 17, 2011, 01:15 PM
The issue is all your finger oil on your screen and when you close the case on it the oil will get on the inside cover and then over time cause the lines. As others have said, just wipe clean with microfiber cloth.

xraytech
May 17, 2011, 01:24 PM

Don't Gripe, Wipe

gigemzach
May 17, 2011, 07:10 PM
don't gripe, wipe

+1

jedolley
May 17, 2011, 08:19 PM
I use a ShaggyMac "Swiper" (large) cloth between my Smart Cover and iPad screen. The cover is still able to close flat and since the cloth is thin, it is able to retain the magnetic hold and the sleep/wake function still works.

http://www.shaggymac.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=13

They have one specifically for the iPad called "The Missing Cloth". but only comes in black. The large "Swiper" cloth is the same dimensions and you can pick from a few colors.

sotie
May 17, 2011, 10:56 PM
I think it's more likely these lines are simply from dust that the microfiber gathers every time you open up the iPad and use it as a stand. Whatever surfaces that sits on gathers dust, and when the cover is closed into the screen the dust is what creates the lines.

Also, scrubbing with soap and water seems a bit like overkill, don't you think? It usually comes off with a quick wipe from a cloth.

I don't think skin oils will come off with just a quick wipe with a cloth. I spend less than 60 seconds once a week giving it a real cleaning with a couple of drops of dish soap on a wet cloth. When I'm done it's perfectly clean again and looks like new.