Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I recently got into photography and am still kind of a n00b when it comes to all things photography. I was looking to see if anyone knew of any workshops or groups or whatever in the DC area? I was looking for something along the lines of a intro class or community group around here that would help newbies like myself out and give out some pointers. Anyone know of something like this?

glennp

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
Washington, DC
The Smithsonian through its resident associates program offers classes that run the range from beginner to more advanced. If you are able to make it to Old Town Alexandria, the Art League also offers some nice classes, again beginner through advanced. Prices for both are quite reasonable. The Corcoran also offers some classes but the cost is usually higher.

Smithsonian RAP:
http://residentassociates.org/ticketing/tickets/search_photography.aspx?keyword=C-Photography

Art League School:
http://school.theartleague.org/sear...ll_level=any&keyword=&image2.x=36&image2.y=14

And of course, there's Nat Geo:
http://www.nationalgeographicexpeditions.com/expeditions/washington-dc-photo-workshop/detail

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I recently got into photography and am still kind of a n00b when it comes to all things photography. I was looking to see if anyone knew of any workshops or groups or whatever in the DC area? I was looking for something along the lines of a intro class or community group around here that would help newbies like myself out and give out some pointers. Anyone know of something like this?

If you ever feel like coming to Chevy Chase on a weekday (10 AM - 4 PM) I'd be happy to spend an hour with you in our studio to give you some pointers and 'homework' that will help you improve.

PM me if you're interested. As long as you give me 2 days notice I can work out the timing.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
If you ever feel like coming to Chevy Chase on a weekday (10 AM - 4 PM) I'd be happy to spend an hour with you in our studio to give you some pointers and 'homework' that will help you improve.

PM me if you're interested. As long as you give me 2 days notice I can work out the timing.

Thanks a lot man. PM sent. :)

Jonroach13

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010

When people come up to you in person and ask you a question, do you always tell them to Google it? I am assuming he has Googled it and wanted to get personal opinions from people who may have done something similar in the area.

That being said, Arlington Education offers a few good photography classes. I took two of the courses and it helped my picture taking ability ten fold...

For some reason, I can't get to their website right now, but if you PM me, I can provide you with the instructor's email. You can contact her to see if she's doing any other classes.

** edit: found the link to the Photography Class **

Last edited:

samdamico

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011

I teach photography classes on U Street NW in DC.

Intro classes run monthly. I'm running a special on a three hour "Getting To Know Your Camera" class through June.

Here's a link to upcoming classes.

When it comes to community groups look into the Washington Photography Meetup Group.

Sam

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

Ace Photo in Ashburn runs some classes- they're the best camera store left in the area IMO.

Paul

samdamico

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
Ace Photo in Ashburn runs some classes- they're the best camera store left in the area IMO.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for mentioning Ace Photo. I wasn't aware of them.

It's a shame that many camera stores are going belly up. Glad to learn that Ace Photo is around. Are they a chain? Before you purchase a camera, nothing beats going into a store and "feeling' the camera ergonomics in your hand.

Sam

http://samdamico.com---Orignal Photography And Excellent Photography Instruction

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Paul,

Thanks for mentioning Ace Photo. I wasn't aware of them.

It's a shame that many camera stores are going belly up. Glad to learn that Ace Photo is around. Are they a chain? Before you purchase a camera, nothing beats going into a store and "feeling' the camera ergonomics in your hand.

Sam

http://samdamico.com---Orignal Photography And Excellent Photography Instruction

No, they're not a chain- but they're worth a visit- they have three rooms of gear, including paper, a bazillion camera bags, lights, modifiers, new and used lenses and cameras and almost ever gadget you can imagine. If you take 28 to Waxpool, then go to the Loudoun County Parkway and hang a right, they're in the industrial section at the second turn on the parkway.

First room is cameras, tripods, rain covers, sensor cleaners, lenses, books, etc. Paper and little gadgets are straight through to the back and lights and modifiers in the front and camera bags in the back are off to the right. You'll be surprised at the number of camera bags alone.

Paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.