Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

photogpab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
im so sick of my otterbox. i was duped into buying it from the guy at the ATT store because he swore it was indestructible and the best way to protect my phone.

yes it has worked well, ive dropped my phone a dozen times, some times i dropped it really hard and yet its still perfect. so the otterbox works. BUT! its huge. feels bulky in my pocket, etc.

a friend of mine bought herself a thinner case that was really nice. she dropped the phone and the entire back screen smashed.

so i want something less bulky than the otterbox but that WORKS!

chrisbetty

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2011
I have tried a handful of cases and the one that I think would work best for you is the Casemate Pop case,It's not a bulky as the otterbox and it's very nice for protecting your phone.It has a good lay on the table design and good button covers.My only con with it is the case won't lay flat on the table when placed on the back it'll swirl in circles if you poke it and the screen shield that comes with it is very good but very fingerprint able.

iApache

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
I have been using incase slider for a few months now (since Christmas actually) - http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/slider-case-cl59667

It's a solid case protects the phone well and it comes up a little over the screen if the phone happens to fall on it's face. It's in two pieces, very easy to clean when dust gets caught in it and it doesn't add much bulk. If you are looking into it, you could check on Ebay they are much cheaper there (about $10 is what I paid for mine).

Goodluck on finding a case!

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
As you know there is no such thing as "best" case. It all depends on what you are looking for. Since you had the otter box, you probably want something a little tough. I hardly drop my phone, I like to keep it thin also. I'm still using my incase snap "smoke" from the free case offer apple had.

phearx

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
incipio ngp is definitely the best. I have dropped my phone numerous times, once from the top of stairs to the bottom without any damage whatsoever. Very happy with it's performance and much slimmer than the otterbox with a more matte look.

JessicaR

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2011
I am fond of this case. It is thinner than the otterbox and it works great for me. I have dropped it a number of times and haven't had any problems. It like it and it works great.

media.nl

mrdm

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
Magpul

I also tried otterbox but found that the extra protection was not worth the bulk. I'm using a magpul executive case and it does not add a lot of bulk to the phone, fits it like a glove and looks like it will provide adequate protection.

chachlate

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011
Brooklyn NY
my girlfriend digs the Elago S4.

I have owned the Incipio NGP, Incipio EDGE, Contour Flick, Splash Cruiser, Cygnett Frost, and Cygnett Aviator (which I had to purchase on Ebay from the UK). Only two i have kept so far are the Cygnett products. Everything else I've gotten has either had a design flaw or was imperfectly manufactured.

iRach

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2009
Belkin case works for me. You can get a clear one too, so you can still see your phone, if you should want to.:)

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
im so sick of my otterbox. i was duped into buying it from the guy at the ATT store because he swore it was indestructible and the best way to protect my phone.

yes it has worked well, ive dropped my phone a dozen times, some times i dropped it really hard and yet its still perfect. so the otterbox works. BUT! its huge. feels bulky in my pocket, etc.

a friend of mine bought herself a thinner case that was really nice. she dropped the phone and the entire back screen smashed.

so i want something less bulky than the otterbox but that WORKS!

Otterbox cases have got to be the Ugliest on the market. They take a slim phone and easily double the thickness. I understand they are designed to protect from all manners of destruction but my goodness just be careful and get a slimmer case. Anything made of TPU seems good to me.

JohnWinsome

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
Otterbox cases are just down right ugly and i dont care if i dont have protection i make it up in style!

almac04

macrumors member
May 19, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I have to agree that the "otterbox" is great but definitely too big... I find that TPU is the best for me in that it offers great protection and a slim fit. U can incorporate a clip or leather case to go along with the TPU as opposed to the bulky Otterbox. The TPU case I have is like a gel but durable like rubber. I have alot of them actually... Keep them color coordinated as I say... lol hit me up (PM) for more info!

photo-1-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.