PDA

View Full Version : Gas comparsion, costco 92 vs shell, chevron 92 ?

Jdm_rsx
Mar 15, 2005, 02:43 AM
what do u guys think the difference is?

Xtremehkr
Mar 15, 2005, 02:51 AM
Last time I was at Costco, about 4 days ago I guess, 92 was $2.17. It's about $2.53 at the stations around my house.

Jdm_rsx
Mar 15, 2005, 02:58 AM
price is the first issue

besides that?
there all 92 octane...

my is300 requires 92, i was thinkin about costco...for a bit..

im sick of payin 2.50 @ chevron

JFreak
Mar 15, 2005, 04:50 AM
$2.50 per gallon, right? sheesh, be happy you get to buy so cheap gas... it costs 1.15 euros per litre in finland... that's about $5.60 per gallon.

Sun Baked
Mar 15, 2005, 05:43 AM
Most all the gasoline in a city comes from the same source, unless you live in a place with several competing refineries.

They take the raw gasoline and add various additive packages with their coloring agent (different colors for different companies), some like Chevron's Techcron are proven to keep the entire fuel system clean.

If you go to a branded gas station, you get their brand of additives. Some of these run better with certain cars, some cars don't care at all.

Go somewhere else and no telling what you get (they may buy it from the cheapest hauler), as far as extra additives go, but it'll hopefully be rated at least what's on the label -- unless they are scumbag operation, and there are a lot of those even at branded stations.

yellow
Mar 15, 2005, 07:43 AM
When I put Costco gas in my SUV, I get worse performance and more knocking then if I put the same octane in it from a 'reputable' (more expensive) gas station.. like say.. BP. It's not watered down, per se, but IMO, it's the gasoline equivalent to a watered down makers and coke.

bousozoku
Mar 15, 2005, 09:11 AM
Considering that one of my cars knows the difference between Chevron and Texaco gasoline--Texaco was the better performer--I have no doubt that what you see at Costco, BJ's, and Sam's Club is not as good. I'm sure it comes down to additives, while the base gasoline is the same.

JFreak:

I'm with you there. it's difficult to comprehend why gasoline is so suddenly more expensive, but it's hardly expensive in contrast to most of the world. Although, your country probably charges as much in taxes as you pay for the gasoline itself.

krimson
Mar 15, 2005, 10:12 AM
try a gallon if you aren't sure. it shouldn't do any damage.
my car 180k acura can tell the difference between my local 76 (cheapest 76 station that uses generic gas), Chevron and Costco.

While costco is cheaper, for an older motor like mine, i can't use Costco or the 76 because it knocks way too much.

Xtremehkr
Mar 15, 2005, 10:32 AM
$2.50 per gallon, right? sheesh, be happy you get to buy so cheap gas... it costs 1.15 euros per litre in finland... that's about $5.60 per gallon.

Consumers here don't often think ahead. The number of SUVs here would astound you. Though, last year SUV sales were 26% of the market, this year they are 4%.

Jdm_rsx
Mar 15, 2005, 12:35 PM
knockin?

yg17
Mar 15, 2005, 12:53 PM
I use whatever's cheapest or closest and can use 87 octane. My car (2004 Tiburon) doesn't seem to care what gas I put in the tank. I was once driving in the middle of nowhere and the tank was almost empty. Only gas station around was some no-name place I never heard of (I didn't even know what their name was, they had no signs, I didn't find out until I checked my online banking to see the name of the company that charged my card) and my car did fine on that tank of gas. Only time I'll go out of my way to fill up is if I know there's a station nearby that has gas significantly cheaper.

While on the subject, has gas gone up a bit where everyone is? Last night I got word that gas was on its way up, so drove my car across the street to Mobil and filled up at $1.95 and today it was up to well above 2 bucks a gallon

CanadaRAM
Mar 15, 2005, 01:13 PM
knockin?
Knock (also called detonation or ping)
Unplanned or premature ignition of the gas-air mixture in the cylinder (that is, ignition that was not initiated by the sparkplug), causes the piston to be forced down when it is in the wrong portion of its stroke, so it interferes with the smooth running of the motor, causing noise, roughness and loss of power. In extreme cases it will damage the motor.

Main causes are gasoline with too low an octane rating, over-compression, ignition timing misadjustment and dirty or damaged pistons/cylinder heads.

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/PICS/detonation/detonation.html

It's all in the timing.... think of riding a bicycle, you have to push down on the pedal at the right time, once it has past the top of the curve and is on its way down. If you were to push down on the pedal when it is coming up the rear portion of the cycle, you'll either slow or stop the pedal, or break your leg trying. There is a right time for the force to be applied, if you miss the correct timing, you'll get poor performance.

In this analogy the pedal is the piston, and the push you make is the explosion of the gas/air mixture.

mc68k
Mar 15, 2005, 03:33 PM
knock sensors in modern cars should take care of the knocking problem

gas stations here in SD all get their gas from the same tanks. the branded tankers line up in front of the same bunch of tanks and then they go to their respective additive nozzles...its just the small amount of additive that makes the branded gas 'different'. it's not a large amount of fuel cleaner either...like the kind that u can buy concentrated in a bottle at the store

gas 'difference' is all marketing

pseudobrit
Mar 15, 2005, 05:11 PM
I haven't bought gasoline in over 2 years.

Punani
Mar 15, 2005, 05:30 PM
Stay away from ARCO.

ARCO is the spawn of the devil. If your car is a little on the crappy side the additives (or lack thereof) tend to make one's car act up more than if one used Chevron or another brand.

Sun Baked
Mar 15, 2005, 05:35 PM
knock sensors in modern cars should take care of the knocking problem

gas stations here in SD all get their gas from the same tanks. the branded tankers line up in front of the same bunch of tanks and then they go to their respective additive nozzles...its just the small amount of additive that makes the branded gas 'different'. it's not a large amount of fuel cleaner either...like the kind that u can buy concentrated in a bottle at the store

gas 'difference' is all marketingFor some people, the color of the gasoline is EXTREMELY important.

Look at how many people refuse to hook up a Dell monitor to their Mac. :rolleyes:

All the additives are "supposed" to do the same thing, in practice they basically do. But depending on the history of the vehicle, emissions system, electronics, and the oil. Long term results may vary between the packages and the vehicle may react differently to different additive packages in the short term.

But most all gasoline is more than good enough to basically not gunk up the engine as bad as gasoline from 20 years ago. Valve jobs are rather rare on cars these days.

aloofman
Mar 15, 2005, 05:47 PM
It depends on the source of Costco's gasoline compared to the others. If it's the same stuff that the mom-and-pop crap gas station uses, then the answer is "No." If it's not substantively different, then "Yes."

One thing to consider: I'm not a Costco customer, but every time I drive by the local Costco it seems like there's a long line out of the gas station pumps. Is it worth the extra time to save that much money? You decide.

iSaint
Mar 15, 2005, 06:59 PM
I've heard the same theory - that all gas comes from the same pumps. I have a '97 Mercury Van and a '95 Pathfinder that both ping horribly when I buy cheapo gas like wally world. Two mechanics have told me to buy from reputable companies like Shell or Chevron, regardless of what octane I run. I usually try to run a tank of 92 octane every once in awhile.

So I don't believe all gas comes from the same pumps...

Xtremehkr
Mar 15, 2005, 08:18 PM
Costco is at $2.44 today for premium. I can't seem to find out who supplies them with their gas, but I found out that they don't use additives. They do change their pump filters more often than anyone else and conduct octane checks 4 times per year to make sure that the product is good. 2 samples from suppliers trucks and two from their tanks. Not allowing credit cards also helps with the price.

I've been using Costco gas for years and it works great. I tried premium today to see if it would make a difference in a car not specifically rated for it. There wasn't that much of a difference, probably not worth the extra expense. But still better than $2.57 at the nearest Mobil or Chevron.

aloofman
Mar 16, 2005, 11:05 AM
I've heard the same theory - that all gas comes from the same pumps. I have a '97 Mercury Van and a '95 Pathfinder that both ping horribly when I buy cheapo gas like wally world. Two mechanics have told me to buy from reputable companies like Shell or Chevron, regardless of what octane I run. I usually try to run a tank of 92 octane every once in awhile.

So I don't believe all gas comes from the same pumps...

I don't think it comes from the same source in most places. In some remote areas, I can see how that could happen if the closest source is the cheapest. Since I've also seen reduced performance from Arco and generic gas brands, I have to believe that there must be some important differences, whether it's the additives or the gasoline.

dubbz
Mar 16, 2005, 12:51 PM
JFreak:

I'm with you there. it's difficult to comprehend why gasoline is so suddenly more expensive, but it's hardly expensive in contrast to most of the world. Although, your country probably charges as much in taxes as you pay for the gasoline itself.

In Norway the price is around $6.5 per gallon and we produce and export oil ourselves. How's that for irony? ;)

Of course, IIRC, about 80% of the price is taxes...

bousozoku
Mar 16, 2005, 04:28 PM
In Norway the price is around $6.5 per gallon and we produce and export oil ourselves. How's that for irony? ;)

Of course, IIRC, about 80% of the price is taxes...

Well, a lot of what the U.S.A. makes is shipped out of the country. I rarely see anything made in the U.S.A. anymore and if it is, it's probably made by illegal aliens.

Now, if they could up the price of gasoline to pay for public transportation and/or the elimination of SUVs, I'd be all for $4.00 per gallon gasoline. :D

uaaerospace
Mar 16, 2005, 05:42 PM
It depends on the source of Costco's gasoline compared to the others. If it's the same stuff that the mom-and-pop crap gas station uses, then the answer is "No." If it's not substantively different, then "Yes."

I am not sure I understand your reasoning. My parents used to own a "mom-and-pop CRAP" gas station near Memphis, TN. We sold the same gas as the big named guys. In fact, most of the stations received gas from the same pipeline in Memphis. You guys should do a little more research before you post with nonsense. How many of you have actually had problems with your car that you are SURE was caused by gasoline? Gas is gas folks. Unless it has water in it (if it does, you will know because your car will not run), it is gas. It meets the specs set by the manufactures, and thus is appropriate. The advertising of additives is all MARKETING.

BTW, gas here is $1.90 :D

aloofman
Mar 16, 2005, 07:23 PM
I am not sure I understand your reasoning. My parents used to own a "mom-and-pop CRAP" gas station near Memphis, TN. We sold the same gas as the big named guys. In fact, most of the stations received gas from the same pipeline in Memphis. You guys should do a little more research before you post with nonsense. How many of you have actually had problems with your car that you are SURE was caused by gasoline? Gas is gas folks. Unless it has water in it (if it does, you will know because your car will not run), it is gas. It meets the specs set by the manufactures, and thus is appropriate. The advertising of additives is all MARKETING.

By "crap gas station," I meant a gas station that sells crappy gas. For the record, I HAVE seen my vehicle run poorly after filling up at a particular gas station, especially if it's an isolated, non-brand-name, "we're the only gas station for the next 50 miles" gas station. Like I said, if you'd read my post, IF the gas comes from the same place as the big boys, then it doesn't matter. IF it comes from somewhere else, then it does.

bousozoku
Mar 16, 2005, 07:36 PM

Sure, gasoline is gasoline, but it would be nice if it all worked the same. You should have mentioned sediment. Why is it that people tell me not to buy gasoline when the tanker is there? It's because sediment builds up at the bottom of the tank and gets stirred up when the tank is being filled. You know that tanks aren't cleaned--they're replaced every couple of years in most states.

Besides that, there are some dealers trying to make some extra money. That happened here in Floriduh after hurricane Charley. Apparently, certain stations added water to make it appear that they had gasoline. It's more difficult to play games these days because of inspectors, but it still happens.

uaaerospace
Mar 16, 2005, 10:00 PM
Apparently, certain stations added water to make it appear that they had gasoline. It's more difficult to play games these days because of inspectors, but it still happens.

Dealers do not add water to gasoline!!!!! In fact, it is a costly nightmare for the station if water gets in a its tanks. If water is in gas (does not take much water at all), your car WILL NOT RUN. Period. Water does not burn, and it causes all sorts of problems in the combustion stage. Injectors are made to spray gasoline, not water. Same with carburetors. If water gets in a station's tanks (which is very rare this day in time with newer leakproof tanks), then the tanks must be drained, the gas in them trashed, and cleaned. The other option is to replace the tank, which is often what happens. The reason the tank got water in it the first place is a leak. Since we don't want gasoline leaking into the soil, the tank is replaced. Come on folks.....adding water to gas??? Try it yourself sometime....does not work too well you will see. ~Josh

uaaerospace
Mar 16, 2005, 10:02 PM
You should have mentioned sediment. Why is it that people tell me not to buy gasoline when the tanker is there? It's because sediment builds up at the bottom of the tank and gets stirred up when the tank is being filled. You know that tanks aren't cleaned--they're replaced every couple of years in most states.

That is why you have a fuel filter on your car that you should replace once a year. ~Josh

bousozoku
Mar 16, 2005, 10:03 PM
Dealers do not add water to gasoline!!!!! In fact, it is a costly nightmare for the station if water gets in a its tanks. If water is in gas (does not take much water at all), your car WILL NOT RUN. Period. Water does not burn, and it causes all sorts of problems in the combustion stage. Injectors are made to spray gasoline, not water. Same with carburetors. If water gets in a station's tanks (which is very rare this day in time with newer leakproof tanks), then the tanks must be drained, the gas in them trashed, and cleaned. The other option is to replace the tank, which is often what happens. The reason the tank got water in it the first place is a leak. Since we don't want gasoline leaking into the soil, the tank is replaced. Come on folks.....adding water to gas??? Try it yourself sometime....does not work too well you will see. ~Josh

You're right--it didn't work and there were a lot of upset people--it was all over the news. Not only did they have holes in their rooves (roofs?) and they were without power for days, but their cars didn't run either.

pseudobrit
Mar 17, 2005, 07:28 AM
Ha. Y'all haven't dealt with crap fuel until you've owned a direct-injection diesel. Then you learn what a crapshoot it's like trying to find high quality, high cetane, clean fuel.

Some stations pump pure rotgut garbage truck fuel. Ugh.