PDA

View Full Version : Forum connection problems?

mad jew
Mar 15, 2005, 05:28 AM
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but...

Has the forum been undergoing any hardware changes in the last day or so because I've noticed a sudden slowdown accompanied by some broken connections (usually fixed when I reload the page). It's weird because I haven't had any problems with any other sites today so it's not like my ISP's having problems. Usually I get a wicked connection here. :(

BTW, I'm running the latest version of Safari if that's relevant and yes, the site's having problems in Camino, Firefox and Opera too. :(

Mudbug
Mar 15, 2005, 11:54 PM
probably due to some DNS changes made by your DNS servers, since you say on a reload that the pages generally open. This has been a problem cropping up since 10.3.6, if that helps. Usually setting manual DNS server addresses in your Networking pane of System Preferences can help resolve the problem as well.

mad jew
Mar 16, 2005, 12:03 AM
Usually setting manual DNS server addresses in your Networking pane of System Preferences can help resolve the problem as well.

Thanks Mudbug. What are the side effects of changing the DNS addresses? Will it make any untoward changes to my Airport network? Will it have adverse effects on other sites?

ham_man
Mar 16, 2005, 12:32 AM
I actually think that it may be the servers. For ~3 days over the weekend, I could only access Mac Rumors front page. I could go to plenty of other sites just fine. Also, in the last hour or so, I got around 20 "Failure to Connect" messages. I have no clue whether this is just my ISP and your servers acting funny or what, but I need more Mac Rumors...

mad jew
Mar 16, 2005, 03:12 AM
I actually think that it may be the servers. For ~3 days over the weekend, I could only access Mac Rumors front page. I could go to plenty of other sites just fine. Also, in the last hour or so, I got around 20 "Failure to Connect" messages. I have no clue whether this is just my ISP and your servers acting funny or what, but I need more Mac Rumors...

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I can get to the front page easily but I have trouble with the forums and some of the MacBytes pages. They must be run off different machines.

wrldwzrd89
Mar 17, 2005, 05:41 AM
As I mentioned in my thread "Safari is making me MAD (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=114634)", I am getting erratic "Document contains no data" and similar errors from the forums here. It's only the forums that give me trouble - all other sites work fine.

mad jew
Mar 17, 2005, 06:18 AM
As I mentioned in my thread "Safari is making me MAD (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=114634)", I am getting erratic "Document contains no data" and similar errors from the forums here. It's only the forums that give me trouble - all other sites work fine.

Has it been better today though? I've been having HEAPS of trouble with the forums in the past few days (apart from tonight) in quite a few browsers. It certainly isn't a Safari-specific problem. The last few hours have been fine though. :)

kettle
Mar 17, 2005, 06:54 AM
I think there is a problem with Safari just hanging if the ad server at the top of page doesn't respond? does that fit with other people?

I look at the activity window and that seems to be the connection in red. hmm

hasn't happened for a couple of weeks for me.

vieoray
Mar 17, 2005, 09:16 AM

that's been happening to me for about a month and only on the forums here, never another site. its annoying, but a refresh always fixes it.

Apple Hobo
Apr 12, 2005, 05:58 PM
Sometimes avatars, smilies, chat icons, etc. don't load for me. A refresh will help sometimes, but not always. I think this started happening after the last major forum update. Below are pics of what I'm talking about.

mad jew
Apr 12, 2005, 09:35 PM
Sometimes avatars, smilies, chat icons, etc. don't load for me.

I get that a little too when the servers are really busy (like when Apple announced Tiger etc.) and I click on a link before the page has fully downloaded. What's weird is that it loads properly but if I click somewhere before absolutely all the pictures are downloaded, the already-showing smilies suddenly disappear replaced with the question marks... :confused:

wrldwzrd89
Apr 13, 2005, 04:10 AM
I get that a little too when the servers are really busy (like when Apple announced Tiger etc.) and I click on a link before the page has fully downloaded. What's weird is that it loads properly but if I click somewhere before absolutely all the pictures are downloaded, the already-showing smilies suddenly disappear replaced with the question marks... :confused:
I get similar issues when the servers are busy. Also, unless the page has completely loaded, the JavaScript links in the posting box fail to work.

TMA
Apr 19, 2005, 05:12 PM
I'm also having trouble accessing macrumors.

I check the site regularly from home and at work. Both locations on broadband (ADSL) with different ISP's. I'm based in the UK.

Overall, about 50% of the time, pages load absolutely fine. However, around 30% of the time a thread will literally take 10 times longer to load than it should - usually I do a few refreshes to kick it in to gear. The remaining 20% of the time a thread will not load at all, or will load with missing images, bad formatting or without the navigation top bar.

It's actually getting pretty frustrating, is there any official word on it or could arn or someone just confirm that there are some glitches/severs overloaded?

Cheers,

arn
Apr 19, 2005, 06:12 PM
I'm also having trouble accessing macrumors.

I check the site regularly from home and at work. Both locations on broadband (ADSL) with different ISP's. I'm based in the UK.

Overall, about 50% of the time, pages load absolutely fine. However, around 30% of the time a thread will literally take 10 times longer to load than it should - usually I do a few refreshes to kick it in to gear. The remaining 20% of the time a thread will not load at all, or will load with missing images, bad formatting or without the navigation top bar.

It's actually getting pretty frustrating, is there any official word on it or could arn or someone just confirm that there are some glitches/severs overloaded?

Cheers,

Hm.... this shouldn't be happening regularly. There are occasional issues with high-traffic'd days. Such as keynote events. But on a daily basis, it should be loading reasonably. Unless many others are having the same issue, it may be more of a local routing thing.

arn

TMA
Apr 19, 2005, 06:57 PM
Cheers for the reply arn.

Funnily enough after posting that last post I've not had any difficulties tonight. I have been noticing some problems for the last few weeks though and they don't seem to follow any patterns or specific times of day. Have the servers been particularly busy recently with Tiger and the NAB event? It did seem very bad all Sunday.

Perhaps some traffic isn't getting through to the UK very well. I've not noticed problems with any other web pages, and I use 2 diffferent ISP's on a regular basis.

arn
Apr 19, 2005, 07:06 PM
Cheers for the reply arn.

Funnily enough after posting that last post I've not had any difficulties tonight. I have been noticing some problems for the last few weeks though and they don't seem to follow any patterns or specific times of day. Have the servers been particularly busy recently with Tiger and the NAB event? It did seem very bad all Sunday.

Perhaps some traffic isn't getting through to the UK very well. I've not noticed problems with any other web pages, and I use 2 diffferent ISP's on a regular basis.

Sunday was bad.... due to the NAB event.

arn

TMA
Apr 19, 2005, 07:29 PM
Here's an example of one of things that's been happening alot:

http://www.doktoreddie.plus.com/strange.jpg

Sometimes none of the images will load, sometimes half will, sometimes a few wont. It often destroys the formatting, as you can see.

WildCowboy
Apr 20, 2005, 02:47 PM
Just to add my two cents...I also had page loading problems for several days, but the last couple of days have been okay. It would take a bit longer than normal for the page to appear, but then it took 30 seconds to a minute to load all of the images. All's fine now though!!

arn
Apr 20, 2005, 04:09 PM
I'm not sure how to fix the partial loading images.

anyone have any thoughts?

arn