PDA

View Full Version : Buy smart cover/back piece or wait for new cases?

Vulcan4770
May 17, 2011, 03:26 PM
I can't decide if I should buy a smart cover and a back piece from eBay or if I should wait for a case that has both functionalites. I liked the pixelskin hd wrap design but I want the magnets in the cover and others cases like STM skinny and incase magaine jacket are close calls but leave parts of back exposed or don't have magnets in them. Trying not to spend slot.

Should I go for smart cover or wait for new cases? Anyone heard of news stuff coming out?

redzapper
May 17, 2011, 04:06 PM
I went with the smartcover/TPU backcase combo.

It was cheap ($34 total off ebay) and I like the fact I can take the cover off when I'm walking around at home.

Vulcan4770
May 17, 2011, 04:19 PM
Good point which smart cover did u get

LDTaylor85
May 17, 2011, 10:13 PM
I went with the smart cover,carbon fiber skin on the back with a clear plastic case on the back as well. Best combo for me so far

macingman
May 17, 2011, 10:17 PM
There are already cases which cover both the back and front and have magnets for the screen. I can't remember exactly which ones but when I get home I'll let you know.

vbhoj74
May 17, 2011, 10:21 PM
I just ordered cuberacoustics case which has smart cover functionalities.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Awjvail
May 17, 2011, 11:27 PM
Switcheasy Canvas has the Smart Cover functionality... waaay cheaper than buying both pieces separately.

kimkim23
May 17, 2011, 11:50 PM
smart covers just aint practical. In the end 80% you're end up hunting for a folder type for more protection...:p dont waste the money ~

LDTaylor85
May 18, 2011, 12:01 AM
smart covers just aint practical. In the end 80% you're end up hunting for a folder type for more protection...:p dont waste the money ~

I don't like the folder types..it makes me feel claustrophobic, I like being able to rip the smart cover off

redzapper
May 18, 2011, 08:52 AM
i like being able to rip the smart cover off

+1

3goldens
May 18, 2011, 01:10 PM
get protection right away, anything, get a cheap one and then do some research on what you would want to live with.

No rush on a permeant case, be patient and find the bet one for you, just make sure your back is covered until then!

sracer
May 18, 2011, 03:02 PM

It was cheap ($34 total off ebay) and I like the fact I can take the cover off when I'm walking around at home.
That's exactly what I did... but I paid full price for the smart cover and $10 w/free shipping for the TPU backcase. The thickness of the whole thing is virtually the same as a naked iPad1. It's a great combo.

m.carroll
May 18, 2011, 03:10 PM
just curious: is the TPU back protection the rubbery, glossy plastic type, or more of the soft-touch plastic?

i'm not crazy about the hard plastic ones, as they seem to trap dirt in there and then could muck up the nice aluminum back...

macingman
May 18, 2011, 10:21 PM
get protection right away, anything, get a cheap one and then do some research on what you would want to live with.

No rush on a permeant case, be patient and find the bet one for you, just make sure your back is covered until then!

I find the backs NEVER scratch anyway, I have been using aluminium Apple products without protection for years and don't have one scratch and I use them for 40000+ miles of travel each year.

French
May 19, 2011, 08:12 AM

With these back cases on does the smart cover stay fully open, or does the last accordian part flip open all the time? Or is that why you say you like you can take the whole thing off?

That was my gripe about the smart cover to begin with...that when in the open position mine constantly flipped away from the back of the ipad and got on my nerves. I also didn't find the ipad to be very stable with the smart cover folded to hold it up.

redzapper
May 19, 2011, 12:43 PM
With these back cases on does the smart cover stay fully open, or does the last accordian part flip open all the time? Or is that why you say you like you can take the whole thing off?

That was my gripe about the smart cover to begin with...that when in the open position mine constantly flipped away from the back of the ipad and got on my nerves. I also didn't find the ipad to be very stable with the smart cover folded to hold it up.

With the back case I have, it does not dampen the magnets so it does not compromise how the smart cover works.

It doesn't improve how the smart cover works either tho.

lucyna
May 22, 2011, 09:39 AM
There are some smart covers with back cover, and there are also many back case compatible with smart cover, that's your choice.

Surely
May 22, 2011, 09:41 AM
I like being able to rip the smart cover off

Exactly. It's like I have the best of both worlds.

I went with the black leather SmartCover and a black Speck Smartshell. The Smartshell is a smoke black (translucent), so you can still see the Apple logo. Looks great.