PDA

View Full Version : What Will Be "Overhauled" in iOS 5?

klamse25
May 17, 2011, 05:43 PM
Nobody knows for sure, but what do you think?

I for one, believe it to be almost certain notifications will be.

Thoughts?

D1G1T4L
May 17, 2011, 05:46 PM
I'm just really wanting wireless syncing.

klamse25
May 17, 2011, 05:47 PM
I'm just really wanting wireless syncing.

I agree with you, it'd be nice.

But honestly, if you're beside the computer, is it really that hard to plug in a cable?

And doesn't data transfer faster via USB?

Gambiit08
May 17, 2011, 06:45 PM
I agree with you, it'd be nice.

But honestly, if you're beside the computer, is it really that hard to plug in a cable?

And doesn't data transfer faster via USB?

i want wireless sync, some sort of new notifications on the lock screen.. possibly weather and other things on lockscreen..not too sure what else they could add

possibly add themes to the app store like cydia

klamse25
May 17, 2011, 06:51 PM
I hope there will be other cloud features, such as backing up to the cloud, and most importantly, updating OTA.
Updating OTA would be revolutionary for iOS.
Especially if updates were only patches.

lsvtecjohn3
May 17, 2011, 06:55 PM
notifications and wireless syncing pssssh....

Why don't you guys try and think outside the box. It's going to be picture folders. Think about it, how many times have you taking photos on vacation and had them stuck in camera roll. The only way to get them into a folder is to plug your phone into your computer, make a folder grab the pictures then put them into the folder and after all that put it back onto the phone. How much better would it be to do all that within the phone.

Yep you guys heard it hear first. That's what's going to be the big enchilada coming at WWDC 2011. I know someone who knows some one who thinks he or she knows someone who works for Apple. :cool:

boss.king
May 17, 2011, 07:00 PM
All I want is a better notifications system, live icon (informational, not unnecessary animations) and the possibility for lockscreen info

iostehk
May 17, 2011, 07:03 PM
Notifications, Cloud base syncing, gestures and a little more eye candy and full support for air play throughout the OS

nunes013
May 17, 2011, 07:24 PM
notifications, wireless syncing. lockscreen info like weather, camera roll folders, more security, to unlock devices have the connect the dots thing and other ways instead of just slide to unlock, itunes cloud.

those are my biggest. there are a few other little things that have crossed my mind that i have forgot about.

daleycss
May 17, 2011, 07:50 PM
...a little more eye candy

I'm not disagreeing with you. I love eye candy, it's just a typical iOS person. we love fancy good-looking stuff.

BriChi
May 17, 2011, 07:52 PM
definitely better notification system. I would love to be able to set different tones and vibrations for each of my email accounts so I know by hearing or feeling it if it's Gmail, business 1 or business 2 email coming in. The fact that I cannot do this drives me crazy. Get with it Apple

Acronym
May 17, 2011, 08:01 PM
customizable SMS sounds!!! four IOS versions + sub upgrades/patches and we have yet to see such a simple feature.

I agree with picture folder manipulations, and maybe less of a grid lock for springboard live info would be alright, but not necessary.

maybe different stock app themes, notes, calculator app store etc...

SAIRUS
May 17, 2011, 08:14 PM
The reason we don't have customizable text sounds is to allow app developers to have choice of sound on their notifications. If you had free will to pick, you might pick a sound that could be identical to an app noise.

Although...

with double vibration now in play, maybe that will change.

heisenberg123
May 17, 2011, 08:19 PM
im guessing still not as much as what you can do with a jailbroken phone

klamse25
May 18, 2011, 10:32 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Notifications, Cloud base syncing, gestures and a little more eye candy and full support for air play throughout the OS

What "eye candy" do you suppose they would add?

kdarling
May 18, 2011, 10:38 PM
What "eye candy" do you suppose they would add?

Perhaps they'll take a page from what HTC and others started, and add candy such as animated weather and 3D transitions.

iApples
May 18, 2011, 10:48 PM
I'd like to see some editing features put into the Camera app.

LoganT
May 18, 2011, 10:49 PM
A file system
The ability to choose different default applications (Link opens in Mercury Browser Pro, not Safari)
Possibly a way for developers to integrate their applications into the built in apps. Example: Access Pandora through the iPod.

The reason why iOS 5 is so exciting is because we have no idea what they will do. The previous four iOS's were great, but at the same time just playing catch up, you could easily guess what they were going to do.

wordoflife
May 18, 2011, 11:00 PM
-More default ringtones/textones.
-Live wallpapers
-better notification system (though iOS isn't like Android where you get a lot of notifications in the first place).
-delete individual calls on call log.
-new unlock screen concept
-dynamic homescreen icons (like weather)
-more sound profiles. like having the phone switched on ringer but having calls ring, and texts vibrate only.
-ability to star emails
-hide keyboard in text messages. still can't figure out how the hell Apple programmed that one. on every single app, tapping out of the keyboard (even safari) will close it but not on Messaging.
-perhaps a new status bar (different color or something?)
Basically I want them to focus on improving what it has first. After they do that, then they can add some new features.

Agent-P
May 18, 2011, 11:32 PM
It's already been said, but an improved notification system and photo folder options are my two biggest wishes for IOS 5. I could really care less about wireless syncing because it is an necessary drain of battery. Is it really a big deal to just plug in your device to the computer? I'm on my laptop all day, so it's not like that's out of my way. A live weather icon would be nice, but really any other types of widgets are absolutely useless to me. Personally I just see widgets as a gimmick and battery drain (in case you couldn't tell, I like squeezing out the most battery I can from my device :D ). If my device responds quickly, I don't mind having to launch an app to check the news or whatever. But weather is something I check multiple times a day, so having that in a widget style is useful to me. But everyone has different needs, and this setup works fine for me.

The whole mystery and lack of info about what will be in IOS 5 just makes me even more excited for the preview at WWDC!

ccolaco
May 18, 2011, 11:33 PM
Nothing. Its Apple. They don't do overhauls. And thats fine by me.

bigtallguy
May 18, 2011, 11:49 PM

This. It's rare we see Apple ever do an os "overhaul" for the mac or ios. They slowly change things, that way it doesn't upset too many people.

iApples
May 19, 2011, 12:36 AM

The questions is WHAT will be overhauled, not if iOS will be overhauled. So I'm assuming he means which stock apps will get a makeover in iOS 5. I'm sure there will be a bunch.

Bonds79
May 19, 2011, 12:54 AM
Nobody knows for sure, but what do you think?

I for one, believe it to be almost certain notifications will be.

Thoughts?

Doesn't matter! with no LTE this will be a FAIL!

Grimes
May 19, 2011, 06:44 AM
A file management system of some sort would be nice.