PDA

View Full Version : Tips on purchasing a digital camera for my G5

hulkmad
Mar 15, 2005, 10:07 AM
Hello. I was wondering if anyone can offer some suggestions on a good digital camera that can work well with my Apple computer. Thanks.

numediaman
Mar 15, 2005, 10:59 AM
I'm not sure your question makes much sense -- you don't buy a digital camera based on the brand of your computer. Buy the camera that is right for you and then just plug it into your Mac.

vtprinz
Mar 15, 2005, 12:27 PM
Any and every camera will work with your computer.

I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but I don't know if the software that comes with the cameras will be mac compatible for every camera maker. However, if you use Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, or something similar, than that's a moot point. Very few people really use the packaged software anyway.

If you want a recommendation of specific cameras, give us some parameters to work with. What will you use it for? What's your budget? What's your photographic experience?

hulkmad
Mar 15, 2005, 01:20 PM
I have a Kodak DC 260 Zoom and it was a pain try to find a connector for it for my Apple. The camera is old and outdated, and I'm not sure what's going on in the digital camera world (I'm a collector of vintage Nikon and Polaroid cameras). My card for the Kodak was 96MB. Is that now outdated? Are cameras easy to connect to Apples these days, via any USB connector? I have about 200-300 dollars to work with. I'm looking for something small that I can use for traveling and for eBay sales. Thanks. I have Adobe photo applications, but so far I'm fairly happy with iphoto.

Nickygoat
Mar 15, 2005, 01:31 PM
Are cameras easy to connect to Apples these days, via any USB connector? I have about 200-300 dollars to work with. I'm looking for something small that I can use for traveling and for eBay sales. Thanks. I have Adobe photo applications, but so far I'm fairly happy with iphoto.
Almost all digital cameras will connect natively with a mac. iPhoto will recognise these (http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/cameras.html) cameras. If you happen to have another then Image Capture will take off the photos.

vtprinz
Mar 17, 2005, 12:36 PM
I have a Kodak DC 260 Zoom and it was a pain try to find a connector for it for my Apple. The camera is old and outdated, and I'm not sure what's going on in the digital camera world (I'm a collector of vintage Nikon and Polaroid cameras). My card for the Kodak was 96MB. Is that now outdated? Are cameras easy to connect to Apples these days, via any USB connector? I have about 200-300 dollars to work with. I'm looking for something small that I can use for traveling and for eBay sales. Thanks. I have Adobe photo applications, but so far I'm fairly happy with iphoto.

Hmm. I don't know a lot about the lower end cams, there are far too many, not to mention the PMA was just a couple weeks ago and a bunch more came out.

Check out www.dpreview.com, they have a buyers guide that you can use to look at all the cameras in that price range, or set more parameters to narrow the search (such as amount of megapixels, size of the zoom, etc)

Also, if you figure out a couple of cams you like, make sure and go to a local camera shop and play around with them for a little while before making your decision. A camera can look great from the specs, but feel terrible in your hands.

jimsowden
Mar 17, 2005, 02:06 PM
The JimReq (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001G6U9I/ref=pd_ts_tb_1/103-8164111-9834201?v=glance&s=electronics&n=172282) A very small, well made camera from Canon. Look at that price! Tiny, and the quality is still very good.

Gee
Mar 17, 2005, 02:32 PM
The Canon Ixus 40 and Ixus 400/500 (I think they're branded 'Powershot' in the US) are excellent cameras that work well with iPhoto and are around your price range. I have a Sony DSC-P10, which takes great photos but has a pretty slow shutter response. Check out cnet.com, who do really good product reviews of cameras (among other things).

lasuther
Mar 17, 2005, 03:02 PM
All depends on how much money you want to spend. I like the Canon Digital Rebel.

lasuther

Abstract
Mar 17, 2005, 04:17 PM
The Canon Ixus 40 and Ixus 400/500 (I think they're branded 'Powershot' in the US) are excellent cameras that work well with iPhoto and are around your price range. I have a Sony DSC-P10, which takes great photos but has a pretty slow shutter response. Check out cnet.com, who do really good product reviews of cameras (among other things).

You know what's funny? I have a Canon IXUS 40 (fantastic camera!), I'm from Canada, and yet I have no idea what Powershot model it is in North America (not just the US, you know ;) ).

For your needs, I'd just get a Canon A80 or A85 on sale somewhere.

jayscheuerle
Mar 17, 2005, 04:44 PM
Depends on what you want to use it for as well. I NEVER make prints and only view pictures on my HDTV, so a high-megapixel camera makes little sense unless I plan on doing all my cropping outside of the camera.

Image latency and the ability to shoot well in low light are issues that have come to be important to me.

Good luck.

aplasticspork
Mar 17, 2005, 05:16 PM
Almost all digital cameras will connect natively with a mac. iPhoto will recognise these (http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/cameras.html) cameras. If you happen to have another then Image Capture will take off the photos.
iphoto supports more cameras than that, i've used two cameras with iphoto that aren't on the list ;)

--andrzej

jared_kipe
Mar 17, 2005, 05:35 PM
Don't say any camera will work, shy away from really bad ones that you get in a plastic thing in walmart, like the vivicam series. They use proprietary methods of connecting to the PC. Any modern name brand camera will work wonderfully. For consumer point and shoots the Panasonic Lumix http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/ line is really strong. The FX7 FZ3 FZ5 FZ20 are really strong cameras with built in image stabilization. The FX7 is a small camera while the FZ20 is a relatively large camera, with the FZ3 and FZ5 laying in-between the two. They have great lenses on them, and can be had for quite reasonable prices.

jared_kipe
Mar 17, 2005, 05:39 PM

I just saw this one, if you can remove the card, (which I happen to know it is a compact flash card), then all you have to do to use it with your mac is go and get a cheap compact flash USB card reader. And you're all set, just drag the photos into iphoto if it doesn't see the card as a camera like it should.