PDA

View Full Version : Leather Smart Cover - Do The Colours Fade / Wipe Off Onto Clothes?

rekhyt
May 18, 2011, 05:53 AM
I've read on the online Apple store website in the comments that the colours from the leather Smart Cover will fade / wipe off. (This is also acknowledged on the description of the product itself.)

The leather Smart Cover is rather expensive, and it would be a shame for the colours to disappear completely (And even worse when the colours wipe off onto your clothes.)

What's the situation on this? Does anyone have the leather version of the Cover that they could comment on?

Farrellcollie
May 18, 2011, 10:32 AM
I have the blue leathr one and it has never rubbed off or anything. I have only had wit for a month so i don't know if it will fade ot not.

rhuarc3
May 18, 2011, 12:40 PM
i have the red cover. no issues with it. it is a leather product so if you take care of it with leather cleaner and a cream it should age nicely. i just use the same wipes i use in my truck. or you could use a shoe product.

the color will get darker as it absorbs the oils from your skin, but a regular cleaning will keep it like new.

archdelux
Jun 10, 2011, 12:18 AM
i have the red cover. no issues with it. it is a leather product so if you take care of it with leather cleaner and a cream it should age nicely. i just use the same wipes i use in my truck. or you could use a shoe product.

the color will get darker as it absorbs the oils from your skin, but a regular cleaning will keep it like new.

I've noticed that with my tan leather cover, the oils from my skin occasionally leave some slightly darkened spots in various places on the leather.. is the solution to just keep using it and eventually it will become dark everywhere, or should I try to use some kind of leather cleaner / conditioner / restorer?

kuwisdelu
Jun 10, 2011, 02:13 AM
I saw a few pictures early on where the color on the leather ones stained screen protectors / back skins. Has that happened to anyone?

glen e
Jun 10, 2011, 07:09 AM
Thje tan and creme color covers are like a white suit or a pair of "white bucks" - impossible to keep perfect. They do not exhibit any characteristics of bleeding or inherently having a problem, the problem is they are just light color leather. You really would never think about wearing a pair of shoes in this color, as the covers show every spec of dirt and oil. I returned my tan cover for a black one, use Kiwi leather cleaner and after 3 months, it looks brand new.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/91b4befd.jpg