Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

in_app_purchase_icon.jpg

TUAW reports that developers seeking to submit applications featuring in app purchase to the iOS App Store have had their submissions stalled by an error message on Apple's end linked to a test account required for evaluating the in app purchase functionality.
As a matter of policy, Apple requires developers to test in-app purchases (IAP) with a test user account before the application in question can be approved. Unfortunately, this test account has been offline for a week now with no word as to why.
The reason for the account error is unknown, as Apple has been silent on the issue.

Speculation has naturally touched on the Lodsys patent lawsuit threats over in app purchase and upgrade link functionalities, although reports that the IAP test account has been offline for a week now would indicate that the change predates the Lodsys notice letters that were first received last Friday. Consequently, Apple would have had to have advance notice of the letters if the two events are in fact related.

Article Link: Approvals for Apps Equipped With In App Purchase On Hold?

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Looking at the threads in the dev forum it looks like it is a general problem with (sub)account creation, not only the test account. If it would be related to the patent claim, it would only be test accounts - and apple would have also other means to 'hold' those apps in the approval process.

EDIT: I just verified this with my own account - I am getting the same error when creating a "iTunes Connect User", which is very different from a "Test User" for IAP --> most likely not in-app purchase/patent related

Last edited:

Parystec

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
UK
Looking at the threads in the dev forum it looks like it is a general problem with (sub)account creation, not only the test account. If it would be related to the patent claim, it would only be test accounts - and apple would have also other means to 'hold' those apps in the approval process.

EDIT: I just verified this with my own account - I am getting the same error when creating a "iTunes Connect User", which is very different from a "Test User" for IAP --> most likely not in-app purchase/patent related

I think apple need to tell us developers what is going on. We don't want another applegate :confused::apple::mad:

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I can't see how this is not related to the patent issue. It's not unreasonable to assume they told Apple of their intentions before sending letters to developers. Seems a bit of a weird coincidence otherwise and it does seem like the logical thing for Apple to do until a solution is found to combat these frankly ridiculous lawsuits.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
am i the only person happy with this development?

a temporary end to the stupidly high amount of "free" apps that are actually unusable unless you start forking out cash for "features" , or games that want people to buy (coins/xp/weapons/levels/whatever).

sure, in app purchases have a place, but need to be more carefully vetted, i dont mind paying in app for comics, like the marvel or DC apps, or magazines. I just draw the line at cheap "free" apps that are designed to get kids running up bills before parents take the device off them.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I think apple need to tell us developers what is going on. We don't want another applegate :confused::apple::mad:

How 'bout another Christina Applegate? :D

Anyways, so much mystery... I would imagine Apple is preparing something huge. Any wrong moves or turning its back to developers would cause their stock to drop quickly if it already hasn't (didn't check), but it may just be temporary.

Parystec

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
UK
applegate

From what I can see now it is not getting any better. Now EA and others have been targeted :( is no one safe :eek: We are holding off putting the in purchase api into our products until this is resolved.:apple::)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.