PDA

View Full Version : New Apple Cinema Display?

Crixus
May 18, 2011, 12:20 PM
I looked at the precious Mac Buyer's Guide: in ten days the 27" Cinema Display will reach the average update period.

I'd like to buy a 27" Cinema Display but... should I wait for some rumors about upcoming new models? The only size available is a little huge for my working desk...

Shall we see new models, maybe with Thunderbolt and (dreaming) HDMI?

What do you think?

CHSeifert
May 18, 2011, 12:59 PM
I looked at the precious Mac Buyer's Guide: in ten days the 27" Cinema Display will reach the average update period.

I'd like to buy a 27" Cinema Display but... should I wait for some rumors about upcoming new models? The only size available is a little huge for my working desk...

Shall we see new models, maybe with Thunderbolt and (dreaming) HDMI?

What do you think?

The buyers guide is just a guide.

Displays from apple seem to be updated on a quite irregularly basis.

And what could be missing in the current one - thunderbolt YES, faster response time YES and frankly what else ?

Apple does not focus much on gaming, so faster response time is not that big an issue for them.

Thunderbolt is more important to have in the computer and not really that usable in a display to be honest.

You can always daisy chain thunderbolt so that the display is the last chain in the link.

So frankly I don't see an update coming before next year earliest.

This year we will see apple busy upgrading MacPro, MacMini and maybe MacBook Air.

I think TimeCapsule and the Cinema Display will be upgraded in 2012.
Just my 2 cents ;)

alust2013
May 18, 2011, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't look for it soon. There really has never been too regular of an update period. Why not just buy from another manufacturer? Or if you're really committed to an apple display, buy a used 24", as I don't think they have any intentions of making the current model smaller.

KingEric
May 22, 2011, 06:40 AM
It's not impossible that an update is coming in the next few months. The current iMacs have a better camera (FaceTime HD) than the current ACD (iSight), for example, and I can't imagine that their $1000+ dollar monitor will lag behind on something so basic for too long. Additionally, Mac OS Lion is reported to include wallpapers at a resolution higher than what the ACDs (or any current display that I'm aware of) can support:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/23/apple-including-ultra-high-resolution-artwork-in-lion-for-possible-retina-displays/

I'm hoping for (but not necessarily expecting) an ACD update this year, coinciding with Lion's release.

JayMBP
May 22, 2011, 08:03 AM
I think an update to ACD makes sense because of TB... as it stands now... ACD has to stay at the end of the daisychain... making adding TB device rather inconvenient.

But if they add TB passthrough to ACD, the ACD can be any part of the chain.

PurdueGuy
May 25, 2011, 12:24 PM
I really hope a new Cinema Display with Thunderbolt comes out soon.

Yes, yes, everyone talks about how easy it is/will be to just put the monitor at the end of the chain.

What most people ignore is the length of the cables and such. If I want to plug my Cinema Display into my MacBook Pro to provide power & USB, then I need to have the external hard drive near my MacBook Pro as well, since MDP cable goes elsewhere, and then into the monitor. Or buy even more cables/couplers/adapters...not something I want to do on my work desk!

A new display that has Thunderbolt built in could be just 2 connections to the MBP (power and MDP/Thunderbold), then break out internally to the monitor, USB, etc.

Peteman100
May 25, 2011, 01:04 PM
I doubt Apple would ever do it, but it would be awesome if the ACD also acted as a hub with USB 3.0 and Firewire