PDA

View Full Version : 3 inch audio discs

TrickyUK
Mar 15, 2005, 12:01 PM
Hi there.

A quick question for you. Does anyone know if my Powerbook is capable of reading 3 inch audio CDs in the superdrive, or should I not risk trying to put one in (the problem being that I may not be able to get it out afterwards).

Thanks

Tricky

Bear
Mar 15, 2005, 12:07 PM
Most slot loading drives cannot deal with the 3" miniCDs. And of those that do, you can still wind up losing the CDs in the drive.

Don't do it. Apple charges for miniCD removal.

TrickyUK
Mar 15, 2005, 12:10 PM
Thanks Bear.

I was tempted to push it that little bit further into the drive, but alarm bells were ringing.

Tricky

SpaceMagic
Mar 15, 2005, 12:54 PM
Really annoying heh. Why do Apple use slot loaders by the way?

Bear
Mar 15, 2005, 01:01 PM
Really annoying heh. Why do Apple use slot loaders by the way?Well for the laptops, iMac G5 and Mac Mini, using a slot loading optical drive enables them to keep the size down. A tray loading drive takes more space up. PowerMacs use tray loading drives.

jsw
Mar 15, 2005, 01:13 PM
Really annoying heh. Why do Apple use slot loaders by the way?They're very nice with the exception of supporting 3" discs, which don't seem to be all that common. Harder to break something without a tray, smaller profile (as mentioned), cooler look.

stoid
Mar 15, 2005, 01:18 PM
There are adaptors that fit around the miniCDs so that they are regular size and will function in a slot-loading drive.

kgarner
Mar 15, 2005, 02:31 PM
There are adaptors that fit around the miniCDs so that they are regular size and will function in a slot-loading drive.
Here's (http://www.cmishop.com/store/ShowDetails.asp?txtProductName=30183001-BX&txtMfgPartNo=30183001&nCategorySubID=125&txtSiteTrack=FG) one I found really quick if you really need to read that disc. I may pick one of these up to have on hand, as I have a 10 pk of mini CDRs that I would like to use with my Mini.

Plymouthbreezer
Mar 15, 2005, 02:45 PM
Ha ha ha... This is how a broke my iMac G3's slot drive... I was feeling like I'd be able to get it out when I stuck the knife in to pry it out. :o