Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diogones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
I have an old G4 1.25GHz Mac Mini with Tiger installed on it, and I have a question about its compatibility with more recent Apple devices. I cannot sync my iPod or iPad with the Mini, because I need a newer version of iTunes installed. However, I cannot install a newer version on Tiger, so I suppose I would have to upgrade to Leopard, and then install or update iTunes 10 in order to get the devices to sync properly.

My question: Instead of completely installing a new version of OS X, couldn't I simply find an alternative player that is compatible with the Mac and still supports Tiger, while allowing me to sync the latest version of my devices? I would use Mediamonkey or Winamp, but since those are Windows-only programs, and since I cannot install Windows on a G4 Mini, my options are somewhat limited. Does anyone here know of such a player/music organizer I could use, or am I doomed to Apple's forced obsolescence in order to keep my computer relevant with my gadgets?

Last edited:

Diogones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Thanks a lot for your advice, Tom! I'll probably just go with the Leopard upgrade, because I don't think it would be cost efficient to sell my old Mini and upgrade to an Intel Mac. I'm on a tight budget, unfortunately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.