PDA

View Full Version : GSM Modem

nopneti
Mar 15, 2005, 03:10 PM
I've tried Googling for some information about this, but has anyone had experience with the GSM modems (or some variant of) from Cingular, Sprint, etc? I havn't found any company that offically supports these PC cards for the Mac, but some sites I've found suggest they might work sans any kind of technical support.

This is more of a curiostiy than anything for me. It might be cheaper in the long run rather than paying for broadband at home and hunting for "free" wireless hotspots around town.

varmit
Mar 16, 2005, 01:36 PM
I've tried Googling for some information about this, but has anyone had experience with the GSM modems (or some variant of) from Cingular, Sprint, etc? I havn't found any company that offically supports these PC cards for the Mac, but some sites I've found suggest they might work sans any kind of technical support.

This is more of a curiostiy than anything for me. It might be cheaper in the long run rather than paying for broadband at home and hunting for "free" wireless hotspots around town.If you want a wireless card, try Verizon and the 5220 if you have a Power Book with a PC slot. http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/verizonbroadbandaccesssupport.html Its supported on the Mac, and is said to be quite easy to get going with it. If you are looking for just a modem though a cellphone, Verizon has a national data wireless thing, just need to get a phone that has that ability. Like my Moto v710, I can use it as a bluetooth modem.