Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JaredVegas

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
My previos Switcheasy canvas had cracking in the corners and the latch was difficult to close. I emailed them pictures of the damage and got the replacement today. The new case seems to be revised to fix these issues. I can now easily close the case now and no visible cracks in the corners. Just thought I would post this to elevate any concerns people might have. It is an amazing case and the warranty replacement was easy and fast.

gigemzach

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
My previos Switcheasy canvas had cracking in the corners and the latch was difficult to close. I emailed them pictures of the damage and got the replacement today. The new case seems to be revised to fix these issues. I can now easily close the case now and no visible cracks in the corners. Just thought I would post this to elevate any concerns people might have. It is an amazing case and the warranty replacement was easy and fast.

Does the material feel different?

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal

can you please post your photos and your email ?

thank you - i am still fighting the latch :(

Mac7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
When were the revisions sent? Ordered mines last Thursday and they just arrived today. Latch is a little tough

JaredVegas

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
can you please post your photos and your email ?

thank you - i am still fighting the latch :(
Here was my previous one that was cracking

Attachments

• photo(5).JPG
    photo(5).JPG
    298 KB · Views: 139
  • photo(6).JPG
    photo(6).JPG
    311.7 KB · Views: 145

madat42

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
I ordered mine the week they announced the Canvas and have used it quite thoroughly for the past month - on a trip, and everyday in its different stand configurations. The velcro has started to lose its stick. I emailed SE this past Monday about it, and after a couple of emails to each other to forward/gather info, they said they were going to send me a new one when they had stock. Yesterday I received two notices, one from SE customer service that a shipment came in and they were going to send me my replacement, and second, a shipment notice from stamps.com. No fuss, fretting or frustration. Excellent customer service all the way around.

Awjvail

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
I received mine today as well... Amazing case, however yes, the latch is the issue.

It is a huge fight to get the latch to close.. it doesn't just click into place like the one in your video - you have to literally stick your finger inside it and pull it out. If you don't, and you continue to press down, the latch gets stuck on the inside of the plastic shell and starts to pull it off.

touchmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
I received mine today as well... Amazing case, however yes, the latch is the issue.

It is a huge fight to get the latch to close.. it doesn't just click into place like the one in your video - you have to literally stick your finger inside it and pull it out. If you don't, and you continue to press down, the latch gets stuck on the inside of the plastic shell and starts to pull it off.

I haven't gotten one because of the latch.
Is it even necessary?
If not it shouldn't be there.
Also I hate the logo tag sticking out.
Both of these things ruin the otherwise clean lines of it.
Close, but no cigar.

madat42

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
Is it even necessary?
Close, but no cigar.

Well, if you like making judgement calls going on two-dimensional photos only, it'll be hard to ever find a great case. In my experience, the logo tag is trivial and is never intrusive in everyday use. In fact, I forgot it was there until you pointed it out. The clasp is necessary to keep the cover closed. Too bad it can't stay shut with magnets. It is tight to begin with but loosens over time. Apparently there were some that were too tight and SwitchEasy has sent out replacements. Just my opinion from real-world use.

JaredVegas

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009

My first case was like that

Xeanor

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011

Mine was like that too. Try to stretch it up a bit with your thumbs from the inside. It's a million times better already now after a week.

Another great tip: push on the left side of the case with your left hand so that the whole "foldable" cover will be as far to the right as possible, making closing the latch a lot easier. (when I didnt in the start, the latch was basically like, on the glass of my iPad, pushing the latch down would've done nothing but damage my iPad, but if you push the whole cover to the right the latch actually goes next to the iPad, then you can push it down and it slips accross the edge.)

Xeanor

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011
I don't like how it sticks out.
My preference would be a magnetic closure.

Same here really... I've been fiddling around with some magnets and it actually seems like the ipad 2 has some pretty strong magnets in it. Put a few small neodymium magnets in this thing and it should probably stay closed with ease... I don't get it either why they used the latch. With a magnetic closure this case would be 100% perfect.

JaredVegas

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Same here really... I've been fiddling around with some magnets and it actually seems like the ipad 2 has some pretty strong magnets in it. Put a few small neodymium magnets in this thing and it should probably stay closed with ease... I don't get it either why they used the latch. With a magnetic closure this case would be 100% perfect.

Agreed

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
well thank you OP for letting me know about the customer service is

i went ahead and sent them all the requested info - pictures, issues, etc.

my case's latch unfortunately never broke in and it's been a struggle every time.

my velcro also doesnt do much holding.

what is the purpose of the velcro anyways?

syclick

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
Finally got my iPad 2 delivered. Immediately went to put it in my Switcheasy Canvas, which fit fine and looks great... But it is an absolute bear to close! Guess I will be sending an email their way soon.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Finally got my iPad 2 delivered. Immediately went to put it in my Switcheasy Canvas, which fit fine and looks great... But it is an absolute bear to close! Guess I will be sending an email their way soon.

Don't bother with a switcheasy. Check out the STM Skinny...hands down the best iPad 2 case.

syclick

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
No thanks. The Skinny looks fine, but I much prefer the Switcheasy. I'd rather wait around for a replacement.

DnA111207

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
Is it even necessary?
Close, but no cigar.

I didn't like the logo either so i just pulled it out. There was some of it stuck inside but I got it out with a needle I think.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
Fairly happy with switch easy customer service. My canvas had an issue with the latch and magnet wasnt working right. They asked for a photo or video. I made a short video to demonstrate the magnet not working and they sent me a replacement right away. The replacement is much better the latch seems to be much easier to close and no issues with the magnet now.

jmdaniel

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
Sent in an email this am, stating that my latch wasn't correct. They replied back, asking for a pic, which I provided, and just got the notice of the replacement being sent. Bravo, SwitchEasy! ;)

Lindalou

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
I want refund not replacement.

How is Switcheasy about refunding instead of replacing??? My Canvas case broke in two corners. I sent them a email with pix and copy of my Pay Pal invoice requesting refund NOT replacement.

Anyone else request a refund and got it???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.