Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tirion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2004
There's a curious dark halo/ring appearing right in the middle of my MB (2008 alum) screen, right where the Apple logo would be in fact.

Anyone have any ideas? Pic below:

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 393

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I didn't get a halo but if I turn my brightness off and take a flashlight and shine it from the back through the apple on my 2009 mbp it looks something like your screen (minus the halo).

Narkotiq

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow you can actually make out the apple logo!

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Agreed to those that say it looks like the Apple logo - in fact, it really does. In my personal opinion, my Aluminum MacBook gets hotter than my Plastic iBook. This could lead somewhere - let me throw in my 2 cents.

The brightness of the illuminated Apple logo on the back of the laptops is determined by the brightness of the screen. Let's say that you have your brightness all the way up. Could it at all be possible that there was / is an excess of heat built up in part by the Apple logo? I don't believe it has its own lighting, so the issue would lie with the screen if that were any case.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
I don't believe it has its own lighting, so the issue would lie with the screen if that were any case.

You're correct in this aspect. The lighting of the Apple logo is the same light for the screen. I doubt it's a heat issue. If the logo piece is loose, it could cause some weird effects... is that a possibility?

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
It's not the Apple logo as this often occurs in many different, random patterns.

A lot of LED backlit LCDs do this. The whole LED backlight being more durable over time thing is a bunch of hooey. A lot of them even come looking like that!

It is not caused by the user.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
It is from pressure applied to the back of the screen repeatedly. I've seen it all the time on MBP's and aluminum MB's.

It is a direct translation of the plastic (the "base" of the plastic Apple logo, where the adhesive is, that binds the Apple logo to the case) on the inside of the LCD casing onto the viewable part of the screen.

See picture of the inside of the LCD casing:

IMG_3755.JPG

(Photo credit to PowerBookMedic)

It is not caused by the user.
I hate to say it, but it is 100% caused by the user.

Last edited:

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
It isn't caused by the user. I order thousands of these panels at a time and sometimes they come with these marks(new from LG, AUO, Samsung), and they're NOT always in the center portion. That's a myth.

I don't find it a coincidence that it happens mostly on LED backlit machines, either.

torontomojoe

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2012
same LCD issue on my 2009 MBP

Tirion,

I recently noticed what appears to be the exact same issue on my 2009 aluminum MBP (see photo).

I've read a bunch of different threads on this and AlphaDog's response is the best that I've found. It makes sense that it's from pressure, because you can see the slant creating a line of light in the upper right in my photo and it matches his photo of the LCD casing. Thanks for that, Alpha.

I am ultra careful with my MBP and have had no serious issues with it so far. I'm guessing that this is from having an overloaded backpack one too many times over a long period of time.

Now that we have diagnosed the problem, does anyone have experience fixing this issue? I'm not opposed to opening up the shell and relieving the pressure that is creating this distracting mark in the center of my LCD.

Thanks everybody,
Joe

Attachments

• MBPlogoIssue21march2012reduced.jpg
    MBPlogoIssue21march2012reduced.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 212

drakeab

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
I am looking at buying a used MBP with this going on... Is it something that can go away if taken good care of for a while?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Sorry for the noob post... How much does one of those run for with installation?

Depends on the model - apple's prices are roughly (UK):

- 13" Non Unibody MacBook: £120
- 13" Unibody Plastic MacBook: £150
- 13" Aluminium MacBook/MBP: £200
- 15" MBP: £250

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.