PDA

View Full Version : Painting the Smart Cover?

jedolley
May 19, 2011, 12:17 PM
I don't know the first thing about spray painting, but was wondering if this might be possible. I'm sure others have thought about this, but could not find it being discussed anywhere on the web. I would assume if it could be done to look nice, it would take the right kind of spray paint, several coats, and some patience.

I figure the gray smart cover would be the best choice as a base, but other than than I would not know where to begin. Anyone have any more info or have seen this being discussed elsewhere?

glen e
May 19, 2011, 12:27 PM
can't paint poly or leather - too flexible and not a strong enuf bond....

maximus96
May 19, 2011, 12:28 PM
instead of paint, maybe dye?

glen e
May 19, 2011, 12:34 PM
instead of paint, maybe dye?

the leathers yes - plenty done here....do a search...

xraytech
May 19, 2011, 02:36 PM
I don't know the first thing about spray painting, but was wondering if this might be possible. I'm sure others have thought about this, but could not find it being discussed anywhere on the web. I would assume if it could be done to look nice, it would take the right kind of spray paint, several coats, and some patience.

I figure the gray smart cover would be the best choice as a base, but other than than I would not know where to begin. Anyone have any more info or have seen this being discussed elsewhere?

You can sand, prime, sand, paint, sand and paint multiple time and you'll still get cracking and pealing.

You'd have better luck taking a tan leather Smart Cover and using stain, but even that gives you limited options.