Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ndraves

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
UK
I'm having a bit of a problem with an iMac as follows:

It has full internet connectivity and there's no problems anywhere apart from when I try to connect to a particular exchange email server using the servers url or public IP.

The server is on the same network as the iMac and if I try to connect to the OWA by entering the private IP, 192.168.x.x, then it connects fine. If I try to connect to the URL, https://mycompany.co.uk/owa, then nothing, it just times out.

It is getting the correct DNS reply for the public IP, 188.x.x.x, and if I substitute this in the address bar then still nothing.

All the other computers on the network (Mac + Linux + Win + iPhone) work fine with email clients and with the web access OWA. Also access from the internet (other office/home etc) works fine too.

It's just this one iMac and I have no ideas why only the public address will not connect?

Any ideas?

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
Idea: are the other machines inside the network able to access the server via the external IP? For this to work generally requires support in the router, so if it doesn't work on your Mac, it likely doesn't work for any of the machines. Therefore, what's more likely is that your Mac's DNS settings are wrong, relative to the other machines on the network. It's likely that the external DNS *name* gives you the internal IP address if you're inside the network.

ndraves

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
UK
All the other machines are able to access the exchange server both on the external and internal IP and URL.

All the routing is setup correctly. What makes this even more frustrating is that this iMac was able to connect to the server and then just stopped working. Both via the web access and through Outlook 2011??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.