Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soapn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
It's been a long time since the Ibook has seen a case revision. I've been through 2 ibooks of the current aesthetics, one g3 and one g4. I can't possibly imagine them waiting for an Ibook g5 to have a revision to the case. How many years has it been?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Fair enough, but the current look is easily the best looking laptop around IMO. I agree though, it has been with us forever! There are slight differences between the G3 and G4 look - the latter looking a little less plasticy. It's a pretty basic design though, what could they do with it?

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
mad jew said:
Fair enough, but the current look is easily the best looking laptop around IMO. I agree though, it has been with us forever! There are slight differences between the G3 and G4 look - the latter looking a little less plasticy. It's a pretty basic design though, what could they do with it?
Well for one. They need to fix the pos keyboard. When your paying that kind of money for something, especially when the cases are made by machines. You would think mathematicaly they would get the tolerences right. Apple i love you. But thats just plain wrong. ::cough:: Crooked space bar ::cough::

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
mad jew is correct, the post-toilet-seat G3 iBooks are different up close from the G4s-- but you probably knew that. The differences are subtle but real. I think, but don't know, that the G4s are also more scratch-resistant than their predecessors.

But as to the larger question, yes I think you have to wait until the next major CPU generation change, be that G5 or whatever. Of course, It'd be nice to be wrong about this one.

mleok

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Uneven spacebar

The uneven spacebar in the iBook seems to be because of the folded ribbon cable which attaches the keyboard to the machine. But I agree that the keyboard on the iBook pales, particularly in comparison to the ones on the Aluminum Powerbooks.

Bonsaichop

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2004
Wollongong, Australia
there is a main difference between the g3 and g4 laptops. The g4 laptops are made of solid white plastic, whereas the earlier g3 laptops are translucent plastic which is painted white on the inside, rather cool esp if u stripped the paint away.

Personally i liked the original ibooks, the translucent plastic gave it a bit of depth taht the new g4 ibooks dont have the just looke like small plastic boxes

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I prefer the solid looks of the current G4 iBooks to the translucent G3s personally, but I still think both look awesome. It's probably for the same reasons I prefer the G5 iMac to the G4 - the former having been 'done' already for quite some time.

As for the space bars, mine seems fine - it's not crooked at all. Maybe I'm just lucky and I got a Wednesday machine...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.