PDA

View Full Version : Can download xCode 4 from website?

wanting2learn
May 20, 2011, 05:40 AM
Hi,

I wish to purchase the new xCode 4 IDE.

Am I able to purchase this via Apples website on my windows Vista computer?

Or do I need to have the Mac App store on my Mac to download this?

Thanks

robbieduncan
May 20, 2011, 05:41 AM
Any paid up developer can download XCode 4. But it won't run on Vista. It's for Mac OS 10.6 only.

wanting2learn
May 20, 2011, 05:47 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I know it won't run on windows.

My problem is that right now I want to download xCode 4 and install it on my Mac later (copy it to DVD). I don't have my Mac with me now.

How can I do this? I am not a paid up developer so I wish to purchase it.

robbieduncan
May 20, 2011, 05:51 AM
How can I do this? I am not a paid up developer so I wish to purchase it.

You can't. Either become a paid up developer which will allow you to download it on any computer or buy it on the Mac App Store which means you have to download it on the Mac. Those are your choices.

wanting2learn
May 20, 2011, 05:52 AM
ok thanks buddy, I will wait and download it later on my Mac, (will take forever as I have a slow internet connection at home)

Cheers.

dantastic
May 20, 2011, 06:35 AM
Or you could download xcode 3.

I'd say very few people would recommend you to go with xcode 4 over xcode 3, especially if you're learning.

forum user
May 20, 2011, 06:53 AM
ok thanks buddy, I will wait and download it later on my Mac, (will take forever as I have a slow internet connection at home)

Cheers.

Last time that I tried to use a PC with a fast internet connection the developer portal did not let me download Xcode. It did show the packages but said something like "Mac only".

As I tend to it run over night Safari is the best choice to download. I tried Firefox (for Mac) but only Safari did retry successfully when the already slow connection stopped for one reason or another.

- Olaf

mw1971
May 20, 2011, 05:08 PM
Hi all,
I am new here on this forum. I was wondering if someone could advice me on where I can, if possible, download a version of xcode for free? I have read that the previous versions are for free and the xcode4 you need to purchase? In any case I would need it for different reasons, one is that the gnu compiler is included there. Another thing, I went to my local mac shop to inquire on the xcode and was told that xcode came with my Mac pro, which I do not recall. In any case I do not have the xcode so if someone could advice on where i could download it would be really great.
Thank you in advance,
Bye

dantastic
May 21, 2011, 03:22 AM
xcode is on the install disks that came with your computer. You can also download xcode 3 for free by logging in to developer.apple.com and go to the ios resource center. there are links from there.

jnoxx
May 21, 2011, 03:01 PM
developer.apple.com u can download 3.1.6 or something for free, that is the last version before 4 (which u can buy for 5$ on mac store). I'd recommand to go with that (3.x). Heck, i'm even thinking of going back..