Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtsui

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2011
there is a oil spot on my leather smart cover and i need a solution to clean it.. please advice guys.

Pballer110

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
There really isn't anything you can do. Any leather conditioner or cleaner you use will somewhat darken the leather. If you don't mind it getting a bit darker look into leather conditioners maybe darkening the entire thing will hide the oil spot.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
There really isn't anything you can do. Any leather conditioner or cleaner you use will somewhat darken the leather. If you don't mind it getting a bit darker look into leather conditioners maybe darkening the entire thing will hide the oil spot.

exactly - many a leather cover spoiled by potato chip eating....

jtsui

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2011
thx for the reply..i tried to use a paper towel to get the oil out..but there is still a light mark on it...no luck..and mine is the red one...sighh :(

don't place yr smartcover on yr dining table guys or make sure yr table is clean....hahahahahaaa

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Should have used seltzer and a clean cotton cloth and blotted it out.

You might try going to a shoe repair joint and showing them, they may recomend a leather dye to help darken the lighter area.

cinca

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
there is a oil spot on my leather smart cover and i need a solution to clean it.. please advice guys.

Do a google search for cleaning leather couch with talcum powder or corn starch. I don't think you will take it out but you can possibly lighten it.

Good luck..

faresb

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2007
Did baby wipes work?

I had the same thing happen to a friends beige leather smart cover and then the stains just disappeared after a few weeks. My blue leather cover got stained last weekend so I'm just waiting for it to disappear.

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Did baby wipes work?

I had the same thing happen to a friends beige leather smart cover and then the stains just disappeared after a few weeks. My blue leather cover got stained last weekend so I'm just waiting for it to disappear.

So far I'm finding blemishes and stains come and go on their own. Think maybe handling diffuses them somehow.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I originally purchased the cream leather smart cover when I got my new iPad. It literally was covered with smudges and fingerprints by the time I arrived home with it. And that was handling it with clean hands. I tried to clean it with leather cleaner - didn't work. Then I tried to dye it black with shoe dye and although it looked better, the fingerprint smudges still were evident. I played around with it for a couple of weeks and gave up.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Did baby wipes work?

I used baby wipes a couple weeks ago on my Navy Blue Smart Cover...worked great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.