Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

thunderbolt.jpg

Bright Side of the News offers some clarification on the Thunderbolt trademark question brought up yesterday. While Apple did do some of the early trademark filings, Apple will be transferring those trademarks to Intel:
"As part of our collaboration with Apple, they did some of the initial trademark filings. Intel has full rights to the Thunderbolt trademark now and into the future. The Thunderbolt name will be used going forward on all platforms, irrespective of operating system."
Apple had originally applied for the Thunderbolt trademark in Canada and the U.S. generating some questions about the ownership of the trademark, and the ability for 3rd parties to use the term.

Article Link: Intel Does Own the Thunderbolt Trademark, Not Apple

MattJessop

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Manchester, UK
Hopefully this means they'll be using the MDP connector going forward. I've never been a huge fan of the USB design because it'll just end up being confusing for consumers who think its the same as USB.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Whew. Crisis over.

Hopefully this means they'll be using the MDP connector going forward. I've never been a huge fan of the USB design because it'll just end up being confusing for consumers who think its the same as USB.

It would also be nice to have a port where this didn't happen:

1zd7ypc.jpg

Because it does.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm glad apple seems to have the ability to play nicely with SOME people ; )

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I hope this means all brands will bring TB in the same connector and not get fragmented... :D

This has no impact AFAIK on designing/using a connector. I would have thought intel would have created a connector along with the chipset but it seems apple is going its own way and sony is doing their own thing

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
It would also be nice to have a port where this didn't happen:

Because it does.

Considering I've had that happen with VGA/DVI and other connectors, I'd say that's just a USB issue, it's an issue of all connectors being connected blindly. If you look at a USB connector and still mess it up, I have some bad news for you...

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
good news for both companies, now get others on board to support this instead of USB3

USB 3.0 will co-exist, and will be far more popular than TBolt - it's as good as TBolt for many tasks, and will be a lot cheaper.

Instead, it will just end up confusing for consumers who think it's the same as mini Display Port.

Oh man the "TB" abbreviation is going to take some getting used to. I read that as "terabyte" on first glance. Need my morning coffee yet...

Let's try to encourage "TBolt" as the abbreviation - it's going to get silly when TBolt disks eventually appear. Are people going to type that they bought "a 2 TB TB disk"?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This has no impact AFAIK on designing/using a connector. I would have thought intel would have created a connector along with the chipset but it seems apple is going its own way and sony is doing their own thing

Do we know this for a fact or is this still just speculation (about Sony)? The article just speaks to Sony's "desire" to use a USB connector. It's relatively easy to swap out a port late in production and we might just be seeing a prototype.

gmcalpin

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
Somerville, MA

I'm not convinced that the Sony rumor isn't wrong. (KPOM: It is absolutely NOT a fact yet. It might be more than speculation, though.) So far, we only have Gula Digital's word (and a whole bunch of sites repeating them, including Engadget). It just doesn't make any sense, and I don't see why Intel would allow it.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Considering I've had that happen with VGA/DVI and other connectors, I'd say that's just a USB issue, it's an issue of all connectors being connected blindly. If you look at a USB connector and still mess it up, I have some bad news for you...

The problem is one shouldn't have to look and then possibly having to turn the thing.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008

If you are looking at it there isn't usually an issue, but if we are talking about something that is not a laptop such as a Mac Mini, iMac, or a Windows desktop then there are a lot more problems.

With the iMac, Mac Mini, and front ports of many other desktops the ports are vertical and you are reaching behind the machine.

With a MDP connector you can at least feel the beveled edges on the connector and possibly on the port if your fingers are tactile enough. With USB you try once, and it doesn't seem to work, try again and that way is obviously not correct, so you go back to your original rotation and finally get it in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.