Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjmoore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to editing with HD formats. I currently am using a Panasonic HDC-TM700. Here is my problem:

I'm using Final Cut Express and have converted the raw .MTS files (from my camera) to HD .mp4 files with HD H.264 codec using iSkysoft Video Converter. I've tried multiple formats as well. Whichever format I have, the video shows on my preview pane within FCE as the quality that it was shot in without any loss (that I can notice). But, when I put it on the timeline and render it, there is noticeable quality loss. :confused:

I'm not sure what's going on, could someone please shed some light or point me in the right direction?

Thank you ahead of time!

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
First off you shouldn't be using MP4 w/FCE. AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) is you only alternative, IIRC. Secondly, what are the settings of the sequence you are dropping the clip into?

Lethal

Nov 28, 2010
located
Why not use the "LOG & TRANSFER" window to import footage from your camera? That way you ensure the footage is properly transcoded to a .mov file using the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) for video, as H.264 is NOT an editing codec.

tjmoore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2011
First off you shouldn't be using MP4 w/FCE. AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) is you only alternative, IIRC. Secondly, what are the settings of the sequence you are dropping the clip into?

I believe I'm using AIC now after logging and transferring the footage right from the camera. For some reason when I first tried this it wasn't recognizing the camera but I got it to do it somehow now..

But now, I'm still getting the same result. The quality looks beautiful in the preview pane, but once it touches the timeline the quality is hacked down.

I'm new to FCE, so the settings would be found in Sequence -> Settings correct?

I've included images below for you to see the comparison and also my Sequence Settings.

NxDa.jpg

NyG2.jpg

N92.jpg

I'm a noobie so I would really appreciate help in trying to understand how to edit my footage to it's full quality potential! Thank you.

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
Create a sequence using Apple Intermediate Codec as the compressor:
Final Cut Express -> Easy Setup (or just Control-Q) -> AVCHD Apple Intermediate Codec 1920 x 1080i60
NZr.png

If you look at the Properties (right click on the sequence in the browser and select "Item Properties" it will look something like this:
NQW.png

Make sure your playback settings in the sequence (little clicky pill labelled RT under the sequence name's tab in the timeline)
NeQ.png

are set for high quality playback, too.
Ns9R.png

This way your sequence will match the incoming footage (or vice-versa) and playback as well as it can.

tjmoore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2011
martinX, thank you so much! This was extremely helpful. Everything seems to be working fine, although I have a somewhat related question:

I'm trying to log/transfer video but it will only read my camera memory and not the SD memory inside the camera. Is this typical or is there a way around it?

When I try to create a path to the SD card in the camera, it just says, "AVCHD" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media."

Any ideas?

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
When I connect my Canon HFS10, both internal memory and SD card show up so I'm not sure why yours isn't.

Perhaps the SD card has a corrupted file that FCE is choking on. Try copying clips from the SD card over to the internal memory using the camera's own copy functions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.