Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oncomd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Any news about when the Canon 5D Mark III is releasing? Have been following canon rumors but no one seems to know. I do not want to throw money at the 5D mark II if this body is just around the corner. Any help would be appreciated.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Any news about when the Canon 5D Mark III is releasing? Have been following canon rumors but no one seems to know. I do not want to throw money at the 5D mark II if this body is just around the corner. Any help would be appreciated.

I think its anytime between now and early 2012.

I'm in the same boat and if it's not out before June (unlikely, especially due to the quake) I'll buy a 600d and sell it for the 5diii. The depreciation will be less than the money and pleasure lost from not having a camera.

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
I'm personally not expecting to see any new products from Canon for a while due to the disasters in Japan.

They delayed the release of the new 300 and 400, the 1D Mark IV is almost impossible to find and CPS has informed members that repairs on existing products might not be possible due to part shortages.

I just can't see them rolling out a new body when they can't keep production or repairs up on current ones.

rebby

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
MN
I'm personally not expecting to see any new products from Canon for a while due to the disasters in Japan.

They delayed the release of the new 300 and 400, the 1D Mark IV is almost impossible to find and CPS has informed members that repairs on existing products might not be possible due to part shortages.

I just can't see them rolling out a new body when they can't keep production or repairs up on current ones.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with these comments. I was hoping for a new 5D III as well but with the situation in Japan, it's not likely to be released anytime soon.

xMClass

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
California
I'm more interested in a 24-70 with IS to be honest. But like posted above, I think the disaster in Japan slowed any new releases down by at least a few months. According to this article, Canon's production should be back to normal by the end of June.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
OK, I'll throw my 2c in. I, too, was waiting on the 5DIII to come out but after the disaster hit Japan and the nuclear plant troubles worsened, I began reading speculation on things getting tight and the possibility of prices climbing. Made some blind calls to several large camera stores and heard the same song: "we're not hearing anything from our suppliers..everything is dead quiet and tight." So i went ahead and got the 5DII and some lenses that still had the Canon discount this past March and sold my T1i and lens. I am glad I did it when I did because within a week or so the prices began to climb. I would be surprised if the 5DIII was available by the end of this year. I feel more likely sometime in the first half of 2012. However, the flow of new cameras initially has got to be slow. japan is still dealing with rolling black outs,etc. Anyway, those are my thoughts FWIW.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I think some of the claims of supply disruption are getting to be a bit exaggerated. Nikon has stated themselves in their most recent financial meeting that they are nearly back to pre-earthquake production levels, and were so back in late March-April. For better or worse, they just have always been a bit conservative on keeping things in stock these past couple years. Thom Hogan just stated a few days ago that NikonUSA had released a lot of inventory to its dealers. I just checked and the 70-200 VR II seems to be in stock at amazon (sold by amazon, not a 3rd party).

Ruahrc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.