Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Hitachi unveils 'fastest robot'

Japanese electronics firm Hitachi has unveiled its first humanoid robot, called Emiew, to challenge Honda's Asimo and Sony's Qrio robots.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4351639.stm

But will it do the dishes and pick up after me?
That's what I want to know... oh, and the ironing too.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
When ever I see these things, it makes me wonder if any of the robot movies might ever come to pass.....

I guess its going to take a more self aware robot to be built first, but the real scary ones will be when the military starts making robots for combat that walk around like humans and cary weapons.

D

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Mr. Anderson said:
...but the real scary ones will be when the military starts making robots for combat that walk around like humans and cary weapons.

Especially if they can walk up and down stairs. :)

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
Ya but throw out an EMP weapon and they are all just hunks of silicon and plastic.

(EMP is electro magnetic pulse, for those who remember, they used them in the matrix series to kill robots, there is a police version to disable cars to. Really first recognized with the first Nuclear Weapons, they emit a powerful EMP that can disable communications and electronics.)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Blue Velvet said:
oh, and the ironing too.

I don't own an iron ;) :D

Anyway... back to the topic at hand, Hitachi are bragging about it being the fastest robot, well it's got wheels for heavens sake, not much of a surprise there really. :rolleyes:

Hardly 'humanoid' either.... well no more than my Tomy Omnibot was 20 years ago :p

Who wants an 'Hitachi' robot anyway?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
stubeeef said:
Ya but throw out an EMP weapon and they are all just hunks of silicon and plastic.

(EMP is electro magnetic pulse, for those who remember, they used them in the matrix series to kill robots, there is a police version to disable cars to. Really first recognized with the first Nuclear Weapons, they emit a powerful EMP that can disable communications and electronics.)

Not if the processor/brain is shielded....and then reboots after the pulse.

Satellites and space probes are all hardened for radiation - extend that a little more an you could easily get a system that would withstand an EMP burst.

D

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
Mr. Anderson said:
Not if the processor/brain is shielded....and then reboots after the pulse.

Satellites and space probes are all hardened for radiation - extend that a little more an you could easily get a system that would withstand an EMP burst.

D

True, to an extent, the planes I flew in the Navy were shielded, but the stronger the pulse, well you get it.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
stubeeef said:
True, to an extent, the planes I flew in the Navy were shielded, but the stronger the pulse, well you get it.

Ha! If you're that close to an EMP burst in a plane you probably have a few more things to worry about :D

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.