Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snogger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Seattle
Hey all!

I have a dilemma:

Want new iMac. Have heavy duty, kernel-screwing-around-with ProTools and Logic software. Lion comes out soon. Want iMac now.

What benefits would there be to getting an audio system all set up and running on SL only to have Lion come out in a few months? Apple tries to make things nice and seamless but experience tells me that Time Machine and the like do have their issues as well.

Any opinions of this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
The benefit is that there is no guarantee that all the software you want to use will work flawlessly with Lion on day one.

The best strategy would be to get the iMac now (or soonish) and wait for Lion to get updated to 10.7.2 or so before upgrading.

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
If by "kernel-screwing-around-with," you mean that those software suites heavily rely on or even modify system resources of the operating system they run on, then that might be grounds to believe that it might take a while for these to be patched for Lion compatibility. Perhaps as a general reference, find out how long it took that software to get patched after Snow Leopard was available in retail stores. It's possible the developers are toying with pre-release builds of Lion as we speak and will have updates available on day 1.

There's a similar thread in these forums with your basic concern. My advice is the same: If you want an iMac now, go for it.

If worst came to worst, you can always withhold from updating to Lion until the audio software you rely on is compatible. Otherwise, you may be waiting a while: The time for Lion to release (2-3 months) + The time to issue a software patch (only the developers know how long this will take.) And if you want to, you can always dual boot Snow Leopard with Lion and switch between them, based on what sort of work you have to do - Snow Leopard for audio work, Lion for everything else. It's pretty simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.