Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

' r i S e n

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Not only am I new to MacOSX itself, I am even more new to Windows on a Mac and am currently looking into that now. I initially purchased my MacBook Pro with a 500GB Hard Drive in hopes of one day dedicating half or more of that to Windows in order to play older games on it. I have a few questions.

1) Is Windows on a Mac any different than a sole Windows platform in terms of compatibility of programs and games on it? In other words, would I essentially be able to install anything on my "Windows Mac" that I would be able to on a traditional Windows computer?

2) How would I necessarily go about things like Drivers with all of these integrated parts and such? What important things will I need besides a simple Windows OS disc?

3) What bit should I be concerned with purchasing? When I was a PC user, I was always told that "64 bit is better for gaming" but I'm not so sure if I should go with that if my version of MacOSX is 32 bit. Would that be a concern or problem? What would be ideal to go with in terms of 32bit vs. 64bit just for gaming?

4) This is probably the most important thing to address, and sort of goes hand in hand with #3. If I did go through with this, the question is simple, which version of Windows 7 should I get? I am aware that they have all of these versions such as Ultimate, Home, Professional, whatever, and different pricing on each. I was wondering exactly which would be the best purchase for me if I ONLY want to be gaming on the Windows side?

I mainly want the most sensible Windows OS for gaming. I do not care about having the most graphically advanced games or anything - so please take that into account when suggesting 64bit or 32bit. Whichever is easier on my system, I would most certainly prefer. I am looking to play games from earlier on and could care less about keeping up with releases - that is why I am doing this on my Mac in the first place.

I apologize for the lengthy post but thank you to anyone who responds and offers some helpful insight.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Not only am I new to MacOSX itself, I am even more new to Windows on a Mac and am currently looking into that now. I initially purchased my MacBook Pro with a 500GB Hard Drive in hopes of one day dedicating half or more of that to Windows in order to play older games on it. I have a few questions.

1) Is Windows on a Mac any different than a sole Windows platform in terms of compatibility of programs and games on it? In other words, would I essentially be able to install anything on my "Windows Mac" that I would be able to on a traditional Windows computer?
No different for a 'normal' installation of Windows.

2) How would I necessarily go about things like Drivers with all of these integrated parts and such? What important things will I need besides a simple Windows OS disc?
Additional drivers for certain features can be found on your install disk.

3) What bit should I be concerned with purchasing? When I was a PC user, I was always told that "64 bit is better for gaming" but I'm not so sure if I should go with that if my version of MacOSX is 32 bit. Would that be a concern or problem? What would be ideal to go with in terms of 32bit vs. 64bit just for gaming?
For gaming (especially older games, it will not be a problem running the 32bit version.

4) This is probably the most important thing to address, and sort of goes hand in hand with #3. If I did go through with this, the question is simple, which version of Windows 7 should I get? I am aware that they have all of these versions such as Ultimate, Home, Professional, whatever, and different pricing on each. I was wondering exactly which would be the best purchase for me if I ONLY want to be gaming on the Windows side?

I mainly want the most sensible Windows OS for gaming. I do not care about having the most graphically advanced games or anything - so please take that into account when suggesting 64bit or 32bit. Whichever is easier on my system, I would most certainly prefer. I am looking to play games from earlier on and could care less about keeping up with releases - that is why I am doing this on my Mac in the first place.

Im afraid I have never used Windows 7.

I apologize for the lengthy post but thank you to anyone who responds and offers some helpful insight.

See responses in bold above.

' r i S e n

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Thanks for the quick reply.

Now when you say additional drivers can be found on my install disc, which are you referring to?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Drivers for the Bluetooth adapter etc. I can't really remember anymore as I haven't used Windows in years now.

Found a list

Which drivers are included on the Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) DVD?

The Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) DVD contains the following Mac drivers for Windows:

Apple Bluetooth
Apple Keyboard Support
Apple Remote Driver
Apple Trackpad
Atheros 802.11 Wireless
ATI Graphics
Boot Camp control panel for Microsoft Windows
Boot Camp System Task Notification item (System Tray)
Broadcom Wireless
Intel Chipset Software
Intel Integrated Graphics
iSight Camera
Marvel Yukon Ethernet
nVidia Graphics
Cirrus Logic Audio
Realtek Audio
SigmaTel Audio
Startup Disk control panel for Microsoft Windows
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3777

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Thanks for the quick reply.

Now when you say additional drivers can be found on my install disc, which are you referring to?

The grey disc that came with your Mac (or any retail version of OS X you have bought in the past).

Also, to answer your question #4 above, Home Premium should be fine for gaming.

' r i S e n

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
So you're saying I should be set with installing Windows and not having to fish for drivers around the web or anything like that?

Home Premium sounds good - then again, what exactly is the difference between the different variants of 7? Just extra features?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Install Windows and then install the drivers for the Mac OS disks. Thats all you should need to do.

' r i S e n

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Awesome, thanks to the both of you - great information so far.

I will go with Home Premium for sure and be set with the Drivers (bit relief), but I am still shaky on which bit to run. I'm not necessarily sure of the difference between 32 and 64 as well as the technical point of view on them.

' r i S e n

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
That's a great article and it helps to an extent but I believe I am still to uninformed to make a decision on which is better for me. I will have to look around some more and dig for information.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Windows 7 Home is all you need. Newegg sells OEM discs of 7 Home for $100, Professional is just enhanced security features for businesses, which you likely do not need, especially if you're running a virtual machine, and Ultimate is $180.

Just get the 64 bit version, your MacBook Pro can run it and it's slightly faster than the 32 bit version (and the same price).

Are you planning running Boot Camp for your Windows installation, or a virtual machine to run Windows inside OS X (Parallels, VMWare, VirtualBox)?

(Not that it makes any difference as to which version/bit of Windows you get)

' r i S e n

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Windows 7 Home is all you need. Newegg sells OEM discs of 7 Home for $100, Professional is just enhanced security features for businesses, which you likely do not need, especially if you're running a virtual machine, and Ultimate is $180.

Just get the 64 bit version, your MacBook Pro can run it and it's slightly faster than the 32 bit version (and the same price).

Are you planning running Boot Camp for your Windows installation, or a virtual machine to run Windows inside OS X (Parallels, VMWare, VirtualBox)?

(Not that it makes any difference as to which version/bit of Windows you get)

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I have no intentions of using Parallels or VMWare or what have you in order to run them side by side. I simply want to be able to boot up a Windows disk/partition in order to play games that do not support Mac OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.