Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Hi guys,

I really want the best possible connection for gaming w/ my PS3, and I'm really not getting it. It's getting frustrating. I can't get my NAT TYPE to be type 1, as hard as I try - i can only get type 2. I've tried port forwarding, i've tried setting up my ps3 as default host (DMZ). Has anyone been able to get it working? Thanks!

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
You can only get NAT 1 if you connect your modem directly to your PS3 via ethernet.

But honestly, there's not any huge differences between type 1 and type 2. It's only when you're at type 3 that you have serious worries.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
You can only get NAT 1 if you connect your modem directly to your PS3 via ethernet.

But honestly, there's not any huge differences between type 1 and type 2. It's only when you're at type 3 that you have serious worries.
No there are ways to get NAT 1 using things like DMZ, which effectively gives your PS3 direct internet connection. Google it - i have not seen anyone posting about it w/ a time capsule or airport extreme though.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
No there are ways to get NAT 1 using things like DMZ, which effectively gives your PS3 direct internet connection. Google it - i have not seen anyone posting about it w/ a time capsule or airport extreme though.

Use a router that supports UPNP, thats the best you are going to get without directly connecting it to ethernet.

Using a DMZ can vary on what NAT type you get depending on what rules you have in place on the device. Most consumer grade goods have really poor implementation of a DMZ function.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.