PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding certain speakers

The.316
May 21, 2011, 02:53 AM
r;trfI have set of Logitech 2,1 speakers set up on my iMac currently, but the amount of bass coming from the sub is quite annoying, and I really want to get some speakers that pretty much just sound better. I have been looking at these:

CREATIVE GIGAWORKS T40 SERIES II

CREATIVE GIGAWORKS T3

M-Audio bx5a

Bose Companion 3

Swans m10

I do some minor video/audio editing, but most of my time online is just music stuff in general, and some video watching. The first four I can get from here, in Greece, but the Swans I have to order from the States.

FroColin
May 22, 2011, 10:26 PM
Something you might want to look at getting is a audio interface or a dac or something. For instance the Bx5a's take a 1/4 TRS input on each speaker, I'm sure you can get a 3.5mm to dual 1/4 jacks but it won't sound that great

The.316
May 24, 2011, 02:24 AM
Something you might want to look at getting is a audio interface or a dac or something. For instance the Bx5a's take a 1/4 TRS input on each speaker, I'm sure you can get a 3.5mm to dual 1/4 jacks but it won't sound that great

I was thinking about getting a TC ELECTRONIC KONNEKT DESKTOP 6, like someone has in their setup in the Pictures forum. Would that suffice? If not, what would be some suggestions, with the price range around $100-150?

The.316
May 26, 2011, 11:40 AM
Anyone have any suggestions/opinions? Im looking to get started soon. Thanks

Sackvillenb
Jun 6, 2011, 11:04 AM
The creatives are decent, for their size, and have a fairly balanced sounds (especially the larger set).

The companion 3's are fun for gaming and movies to an extent, and have a nice simulated surround sound for such small speakers, but they are also bass heavy, and lack detail and precision (considering the cost). I don't think they are worth the price.

I would suggest A) looking up some reviews from websites that deal with high quality audio and B) visiting some local audiophile shops, if you have any. You can get really fantastic sounds without spending too much at these shops, from some of the specialty speaker and audio manufacturers. The trick is to find the type of speakers that define your wants an needs (i.e. accurate detailed stereo sound, or surround sounds, or power and loudness, price, etc.).

And as another poster suggested, investing in a good external DAC or soundcard from an audio company will make everything sound better :)

ChrisA
Jun 7, 2011, 11:41 AM
Out of your list I've only hear the M-Audio bx5a. They are not bad. I'd call then a mid-level studio monitor. About like other 5 inch monitors like the KRK.

No 5 inch monitor will cover the full range of a piano or bass guitar but you can add a good sub (one with more restrained and musical sound than the Logitech (which was designed for movie sound tracks and games.)
In M-Audio's line the bx5a are the first lowest cost units that are good. Stay away from their cheapr speakers. The bx8a is better if you have room for the larger cabinets.

I don't know about the others on your list

As others have said. Get a good USB or Firewire audio interface. Buy one make b an audio company that is marketed to musicians and engineers. I've happy with my presonus gear.