Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Hi guys,

I know Lion is NDA but I just has a simple question. Does OpenGL 3 currently work on it? I've been learning OpenGL (but a deprecated version) and I'd really like to start learning 3 or higher. I can sacrifice my Macbook Air and run Lion on it to begin learning OpenGL 3 but I'd rather not without first knowing for sure if I can program in it or not.

jiminaus

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Sydney
We cannot disclose even this.

However the answer is in the Mac OS X Technology Overview of the Lion Developer Library. Specifically look in Media Layer > Media Layer Frameworks > OpenGL within that overview guide.

I hope that doesn't contravine my NDA.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
We cannot disclose even this.

However the answer is in the Mac OS X Technology Overview of the Lion Developer Library. Specifically look in Media Layer > Media Layer Frameworks > OpenGL within that overview guide.

I hope that doesn't contravine my NDA.

Thanks! I found the document. I may just put it on my air today...I'm still debating since I use my air for a good amount of work too.

MacRumors reported a while ago that it supports 3.2.

I somehow missed that lol.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I'm not under NDA since I'm not part of the Mac Dev program. A simple Google search turned up the code to get a OpenGL 3.2 context on Lion :

Code:
#include <OpenGL/OpenGL.h>
#include <OpenGL/gl3.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
     CGLContextObj ctx;
     CGLPixelFormatObj pix;
     GLint npix;
     CGLPixelFormatAttribute attribs[] = {
               kCGLPFAOpenGLProfile, kCGLOGLPVersion_3_2_Core,
     };

CGLChoosePixelFormat(attribs, &pix, &npix);
     CGLCreateContext(pix, NULL, &ctx);
     CGLSetCurrentContext(ctx);

printf("%s %s\n", glGetString(GL_RENDERER), glGetString(GL_VERSION));

return 0;
}

This was posted to some Macrumors discussion a while back.

jiminaus

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Sydney
I'm not under NDA since I'm not part of the Mac Dev program.

Lion and the Lion developer documentation are only available via the Mac dev program. That makes it Apple Confidential Information according to clause 2.2 of the Mac dev program agreement (10/20/2010). A disclosure (or discussion) by third-parties in contravention to the agreement don't lessen the force of the agreement. Or am I wrong?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Lion and the Lion developer documentation are only available via the Mac dev program. That makes it Apple Confidential Information according to clause 2.2 of the Mac dev program agreement (10/20/2010). A disclosure (or discussion) by third-parties in contravention to the agreement don't lessen the force of the agreement. Or am I wrong?

I have never agreed to that so yes you're wrong.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Thank you everyone for the replies :)

I'm still on the fence, I'd love to start learning OpenGL but I'm not sure about giving up one of my machines to a beta os since both my laptop and desktop need to run Unity, Maya, Photoshop, ZBrush, XCode, VMWare, Corona SDK, and Corel Painter. Then again I can always make a disk image and revert back if need be :D

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
Hi guys,

I know Lion is NDA but I just has a simple question. Does OpenGL 3 currently work on it? I've been learning OpenGL (but a deprecated version) and I'd really like to start learning 3 or higher. I can sacrifice my Macbook Air and run Lion on it to begin learning OpenGL 3 but I'd rather not without first knowing for sure if I can program in it or not.

I can see some advantage to learning OpenGL 3 on Lion (since you have a full OpenGL 3 implementation available which will simply disallow deprecated functions from being used) but do remember that Mac OS X 10.6 does have most of OpenGL 3 available as extensions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.