Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Hi, was just wondering if there is ANY way at all to get Leopard on a G3, I have a 20gb hard drive, 384mb SDRAM (dont mind updating) and a 700mhz processor. Thanks

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Hi, was just wondering if there is ANY way at all to get Leopard on a G3, I have a 20gb hard drive, 384mb SDRAM (dont mind updating) and a 700mhz processor. Thanks

No. No there is not. Leopard requires the AltiVec unit of the PowerPC G4/G5 microprocessors. Anyone claiming to have done it is lying as to do so would require a huge amount of work which could only be done with the source code (Which is Apple Internal), and would in all likelihood never work anyway.

Bloodstar

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Thing is, though, I don't think it's possible to put a G4 processor into an iBook G3... correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's only possible on the PowerBooks.

If you need an up-to-date OS and Tiger won't suffice, you could always give PPC Linux a shot. Not sure if that'd give you too much more success with things, though...

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
Thing is, though, I don't think it's possible to put a G4 processor into an iBook G3... correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's only possible on the PowerBooks.

If you need an up-to-date OS and Tiger won't suffice, you could always give PPC Linux a shot. Not sure if that'd give you too much more success with things, though...
Linux on Apple Laptops

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
there had also claims about leopard on iMac G3's , but even the working claims are more a slide show then a useful operating system , i tried it myself dozend different ways , but it really was more a slide show until the iMac froze ...i should have made some pictures of it booting , as a video would have been a bit to long to upload on youtube ..took about 20 min to get to the log in window and after another 15 minutes or so finally the desktop appeared only to freeze the iMac rock solid
and some youtube videos are just fake , you can make tiger look exactly like leopard or even snow leopard and you can even alter that in about this Mac so the 10.4 is shown as 10.5 or 10.6 if you wish ..for how to's just google

Last edited:

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
I found this youtube video of a guy running Leopard on a beige G3 tower. It could have a G4 CPU upgrade. The video info includes a link to a guide and software that allow installs on G3 hardware. Can't verify how well it works but thats just what he claims.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
I found this youtube video of a guy running Leopard on a beige G3 tower. It could have a G4 CPU upgrade. The video info includes a link to a guide and software that allow installs on G3 hardware. Can't verify how well it works but thats just what he claims.

That tower DOES have a G4 Upgrade, as it clearly states in the video description. Why can't everyone get this: If there isn't a G4 based PowerPC CPU inside a G3 or older Mac. It WILL NOT EVER BOOT AND RUN Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. It DOESN'T WORK and it WON'T EVER WORK. We don't need to have this discussion 900 times, as booting 10.5 on a Mac without the Alti-Vec unit DOES NOT WORK. The only people who claim to have done it have just made 10.4 look like 10.5 and altered the String in About this Mac. There is no way to get 10.5 to boot without the G4.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
That tower DOES have a G4 Upgrade, as it clearly states in the video description. Why can't everyone get this: If there isn't a G4 based PowerPC CPU inside a G3 or older Mac. It WILL NOT EVER BOOT AND RUN Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. It DOESN'T WORK and it WON'T EVER WORK. We don't need to have this discussion 900 times, as booting 10.5 on a Mac without the Alti-Vec unit DOES NOT WORK. The only people who claim to have done it have just made 10.4 look like 10.5 and altered the String in About this Mac. There is no way to get 10.5 to boot without the G4.

Easy.. you might have a brain haemorrhage. :)

I missed that G4 upgrade part of the info. I simply found the video in a 5 second google search to try and help this poster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.