PDA

View Full Version : Framework/API for Adding Effects to Audio

Blakeasd
May 21, 2011, 04:02 PM
Hello,
What framework or API could I use for adding effects to audio. The framework should be designed for Objective-C. Does Apple's QTKit have methods for adding audio effects?

Cromulent
May 21, 2011, 04:42 PM
Does Apple's QTKit have methods for adding audio effects?

Why don't you look at the documentation and find out?

Blakeasd
May 22, 2011, 04:02 PM
I have found that QTKit cannot, so what framework can? I know you can create Audio Units, but how do I use those to add effects/filters to audio. I am trying to create an effect similar to Voice Candy.

Cromulent
May 22, 2011, 07:09 PM
I have found that QTKit cannot, so what framework can? I know you can create Audio Units, but how do I use those to add effects/filters to audio. I am trying to create an effect similar to Voice Candy.

An Audio Unit is something that plugs into a host application such as Logic Pro or Garageband. If you want to use your effect standalone in your own application you will either need to support Audio Unit plugins in your application (which is a significant amount of work) or you'll need to use something like OpenAL or Core Audio directly.

subsonix
May 22, 2011, 07:22 PM
Audiounits are also components in CoreAudio and part of the framework, that is how you would create effects, either by using existing ones that is part of the framework or create your own from scratch.