Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wingfaith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
I'm not in a rush or anything, but i do want to get a macbook or pro soon...(first time macbook owner). i know that a refresh is coming out soon for the mb, but the specs really don't concern me that much unless there's a new design. I'm a college student that's mostly going to use my mp for writing essays, watching youtubes, and maybe stream movies to tv, heck i don't even play games or watch high definition movies.

I found this on ebay this morning
"Used MacBook 13.3 Notebook/Laptop Computer OSX 10.6"
Starting bid: US $325.00 Final price US $425.00

Spec:

Model # A1181 Early 2008

Serial # W8825YVC0P1

Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4GHz

2GB Ram---160GB Hard Drive

Software: iLife '09 and iWorks '09 (Software discs not included)

Drive: DVDRW

2 USB Ports

1 Firewire port @ 400 MB/ sec

Video Chipset: GMA X3100 Video Resolution: 1280 X 800 VRAM: 144MB

AirPort Extreme, BlueTooth, Built in Camera

Battery Does NOT hold a charge!!!

The specs on this mp is compatible with apple's current mb specs and it's more than what i need. The only problem is that the battery is not working.

So i did some research and it turns out that the battery only cost $64.95

http://www.usbphoneworld.com/apple-ma561g-a.html?CAWELAID=582796119

I figured that people wouldn't want a dead battery laptop anyway and maybe i can win the bid with <350.00 and buy the battery for $65 which will get a mb for under 450 maybe.

so.. do you think that this would be a good deal?

Last edited:

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
First of all, I don't think you should post it here as more people can see it now and may bid on it... just remove the link.
*EDIT*
This is a Intel GMA X3100 Graphics card model. It is great for everyday use, however if you plan on doing any gaming or work on it that intensively uses the graphics card, I'd look for a newer model.
I apologize for mistaking it as the 9400m.

Last edited:

wingfaith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
thank you for the reply, i might seriously consider it. It's more than what i need and it seems like a cheap alternative for a broke college student such as myself.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
When I was at college the battery life was important to me. Factor in the cost of a new battery when you make you bid.

I always found there was never enough power outlets in the library.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
First of all, I don't think you should post it here as more people can see it now and may bid on it... just remove the link.
Second of all, if that's a 9400m model, which according to this it is as the specs match up, then I would put in a low bid and see if you get it. the 9400m is a great graphics card for everyday needs and certainly a lot more capable then the earlier intel ones.
Personally, if I was in the need for a new MacBook, that is a good price for one that is not damaged and appears to be in good shape.
Just my two cents.

Video Chipset: GMA X3100 Video Resolution: 1280 X 800 VRAM: 144MB

;)

It doesn't have the 9400M.

wingfaith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
oh, the graphic card doesn't worry me. Thanks.
But can i run windows on this? Probably will need it for some programs.

msjones

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
oh, the graphic card doesn't worry me. Thanks.
But can i run windows on this? Probably will need it for some programs.

You will be able to run windows fine on this using bootcamp. However if the apps you want to run are hugely resource heavy you can run windows in a virtual machine. This is a preferred way for many mac users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.