PDA

View Full Version : Help with multiple views

teengohan
May 22, 2011, 08:03 AM
Hi all,
I am having a lot of trouble figuring out how to have multiple views in my app. I need to have 3 and every tutorial I have looked at is written for xcode 3. Does anyone know where I can get a walkthrough of this for xcode 4? I have tried doing it based on those tutorials and the text book I bought but I always get a load of errors that they don't. I learn by doing, if I can see it done once I'll be able to figure it out and understand whats going on.

Another wasy would be to see an example of an app with only 2 or 3 views as every example I've found has either 1 or loads.

I'd really appreciate any help with this.

EDIT:
From looking at xcode it looks like it is possible to have multiple views under one xib file, if this is the case where are the viewcontrollers for these views?

Shawnpk
May 22, 2011, 10:19 AM
Hi all,
I am having a lot of trouble figuring out how to have multiple views in my app. I need to have 3 and every tutorial I have looked at is written for xcode 3. Does anyone know where I can get a walkthrough of this for xcode 4? I have tried doing it based on those tutorials and the text book I bought but I always get a load of errors that they don't. I learn by doing, if I can see it done once I'll be able to figure it out and understand whats going on.

Another wasy would be to see an example of an app with only 2 or 3 views as every example I've found has either 1 or loads.

I'd really appreciate any help with this.

EDIT:
From looking at xcode it looks like it is possible to have multiple views under one xib file, if this is the case where are the viewcontrollers for these views?

Which book are you using?

teengohan
May 22, 2011, 10:27 AM
I'm using Iphone application development for dummies. It's a great book but it hasn't helped me figure out how to do multiple views as the author is not writing the xcode 4 version of the book till this summer.

Shawnpk
May 22, 2011, 10:30 AM
I'm using Iphone application development for dummies. It's a great book but it hasn't helped me figure out how to do multiple views as the author is not writing the xcode 4 version of the book till this summer.

I have that book. Let me look at it and I'll get back to you. Which chapter are you using for multiple views?

teengohan
May 22, 2011, 10:46 AM
On page 284 he discuses navigating between views in an industrial strength application. Later on at page 344 he starts of making his other views.

Just so you know what I'm doing, I need a first view with a button that opens a second view with a table, each cell in the table links to a view that displays an image.

when I create a new view controller it starts with several errors before I even start coding. First of all in the new controlers .h file I get an error saying that this class is trying to recursively use itself as its own superclass.

@interface SecondViewController : SecondViewController {

I fix this by changing it to a generic UIViewController

@interface SecondViewController : UIViewController {

Not sure if this is right but it's all I could think to do. So at this point I have my second view. I put in a label so I can see when I manage to navigate to it properly and I try to follow the instructions on page 348 to set the views owner as the first view but interface builder won't let me do it.

I am not following the instructions in the book exactly as I am only trying to make two linked views at this point so I can learn how it's done. I left out all of the code creating the table in the previous chapter.

Edit: sorry about all the typos, still getting used to my first apple keyboard :S

One thing that is definitely confusing me is when I create a new view based appplication a view controller is automatically generated. In the examples I have seen this seems to be something only xcode 4 does.

The tutorials all tell me to make a rootViewController, can I use the auto generated viewcontroller for this or do I need to delete it so I can make this file?

Shawnpk
May 22, 2011, 02:13 PM
In the book, the author starts with a Navigation-Based Application, but you said you started with a View-Based Application. There is a difference between these two templates. Also, a View-Based Application always creates a view controller. so, do you have a navigation controller in your app? If you do, it's much easier to add and remove views.

As for your tableview, there is a method called didSelectRow that gets called whenever a row of the table is selected. This is where you add code to have the new view added to the stack.

teengohan
May 22, 2011, 02:23 PM
In the time since my last post I have started a new Navigation-Based Application. The porblem is that the default rootviewcontroller created here is a table view and I need it to be a normal UIview as the teble view has to be the second in my hiarchy. I have tried changeing it to a UI view but I end up with errors I'm not sure how to fix yet when I do.

Do you know how to create a navigation based app that does not default with a table view? Also would it be possible to post some sample code that will move me to another view?

Shawnpk
May 22, 2011, 02:27 PM
In the time since my last post I have started a new Navigation-Based Application. The porblem is that the default rootviewcontroller created here is a table view and I need it to be a normal UIview as the teble view has to be the second in my hiarchy. I have tried changeing it to a UI view but I end up with errors I'm not sure how to fix yet when I do.

Do you know how to create a navigation based app that does not default with a table view? Also would it be possible to post some sample code that will move me to another view?

I'm not near my computer at the moment, but if you change the is line:

@ interface ViewOneController: TableViewController

to this:

@interface ViewOneController: UiViewController

then, goto Interface Builder and delete the table view, that should do it. There's a little more to it, but like I said I'm not currently in front of my Mac. As soon as I get home, I'll look into.

teengohan
May 22, 2011, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the time you are spending with me, I appreciate it. For when you gett home I tried that and got a NSInternalInconsistencyException at run time. It says the view outlet was not set. I'll try and work this out formyself before you get home...

teengohan
May 22, 2011, 02:59 PM
So I made a navigation based app, made the changes you told me to, then realised I had to change the RootViewController.xib file by creating a new window and linking it to the view outlet. So now the app loads and I see my new view :)

Next I created a new UIViewController subclass called TableViewController, changed its interface from UIViewController to UITableViewController and copied the meathods for a table view from the rootviewconrtoller into the new TableView.m file and so far so good. Now I am going to write the code to populate my table.

Shawnpk
May 22, 2011, 03:04 PM
So I made a navigation based app, made teh changes to told me to, then realised I had to change the RootViewController.xib file by creating a new window ad linking it to the view outlet. So now the app loads and I see my new view :)

Next I created a new UIViewController subclass called TableView, changed its interface from UIViewController to UITableView and next I copied the meathods for a table view from the rootviewconrtoller into the new TableView.m file and so far so good. Now I am going to write the code to populate my table.

I now have 14 yellow warnings on the default UIViewController meathods, they all say that "UITableView" may not respond to 'viewDidDisappear:'". Is this anything to worry about?

By "on the default UIViewController methods" do you mean on the original rootViewController, or on the new UITableViewController?

teengohan
May 22, 2011, 03:30 PM
It was in the TableViewController.m file as I had acidently changed it to UITableView instaid of UITableViewController, I fixed that and the warnings disapeared so I edited that out of the post since I had just made a silly mistake.

Shawnpk
May 22, 2011, 07:17 PM
It was in the TableViewController.m file as I had acidently changed it to UITableView instaid of UITableViewController, I fixed that and the warnings disapeared so I edited that out of the post since I had just made a silly mistake.

I'm finally in front of my computer. Let me know if/how I can help.

teengohan
May 22, 2011, 07:38 PM
Well now i have managed to create all of my views properly. I started a new navigation based app and figured out how to make the app load a different view from rootviewcontroller first. So now my app loads into a blank page with a button on it. Now I am still trying to figure out how to navigate from this view to my rootviewcontroller when I press the button on the initial view. Are you able to give me any advice figuing this out? I am slowly getting it myself but it is giving me a major headache :S

Shawnpk
May 22, 2011, 07:52 PM
Well now i have managed to create all of my views properly. I started a new navigation based app and figured out how to make the app load a different view from rootviewcontroller first. So now my app loads into a blank page with a button on it. Now I am still trying to figure out how to navigate from this view to my rootviewcontroller when I press the button on the initial view. Are you able to give me any advice figuing this out? I am slowly getting it myself but it is giving me a major headache :S

What type of view are you trying to push?

teengohan
May 22, 2011, 08:05 PM
When you say push do you mean what view am I trying to make appear? My app opens into a UIViewController, when the button on this view is pressed the rootViewController appears which is a UITableViewController.

I actually found sone code in a project a friend send me.

- (IBAction) goToRootView: (id) sender
{
[self.navigationController popViewControllerAnimated:NO];

}

I attached the "touch up inside" event on my button to this meathod and I can now navigate to my table.

My problem now is I don't really understand what this code did. Is this meathod always going to send me to the root view controller from any view?

From what I can tell my table is set as a navigation controller which I believe is responcible for managing a view hiarchy so this code will be no use for navigating back to my first page.

Am I getting close to understanding this?

Shawnpk
May 22, 2011, 08:25 PM
When using a NavigationController, you can push and pop views. Pushing a view sets the view on the top of the stack. Poping a view removes the top view from the stack. It's a first on, first off mechanism. What you are doing is taking the UIViewController and removing it from the stack when you say popViewController animated. You can also push a view onto the stack with

[self.navigationController pushViewController: self.NameOfViewControllerInstance animated: YES];

If you push a view onto the stack, you should get a button created for you on your navigation bar. This button will automagically pop the view you pushed onto the stack and return you to your original view.

teengohan
May 22, 2011, 08:38 PM
Right, so when my app starts the root view controller is at the bottom of the stack with my front page view on top of it, the code I posted before popped it off so the table became visable. Now all I need to do to return to my first view is push the firstview back onto the stack. Also I want to go to a 3rd view when a selection is made on my table, to do this I need to push the correct view onto the stack based on the cell on the table which is selected.

Have I understood this properly? I feel like it's starting to make sense to me. Assuming I got all that right when I push the original view back onto the stack (when I want to return to it) is there any way to hide the automagically generated back button so the page looks like it did when the app loads?

Shawnpk
May 22, 2011, 08:44 PM
This will be much easier if you post your code. Please post the .h and .m files for the rootViewController and your secondviewcontroller. Thanks.

teengohan
May 22, 2011, 09:19 PM
Hi
here are the files:

RootViewController.h

#import <UIKit/UIKit.h>

@interface RootViewController : UITableViewController {
}

@end

RootViewController.m

#import "RootViewController.h"

@implementation RootViewController

- (void)viewDidLoad
{
[super viewDidLoad];
}

- (void)viewWillAppear:(BOOL)animated
{
[super viewWillAppear:animated];
}

- (void)viewDidAppear:(BOOL)animated
{
[super viewDidAppear:animated];
}

- (void)viewWillDisappear:(BOOL)animated
{
[super viewWillDisappear:animated];
}

- (void)viewDidDisappear:(BOOL)animated
{
[super viewDidDisappear:animated];
}

/*
// Override to allow orientations other than the default portrait orientation.
- (BOOL)shouldAutorotateToInterfaceOrientation:(UIInterfaceOrientation)interfaceOrientation {
// Return YES for supported orientations.
return (interfaceOrientation == UIInterfaceOrientationPortrait);
}
*/

// Customize the number of sections in the table view.
- (NSInteger)numberOfSectionsInTableView:(UITableView *)tableView
{
return 1;
}

- (NSInteger)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView numberOfRowsInSection:(NSInteger)section {
return [listOfProductNames count];
}

// Customize the appearance of table view cells.
- (UITableViewCell *)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView cellForRowAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)indexPath
{

return 0;
}

/*
// Override to support conditional editing of the table view.
- (BOOL)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView canEditRowAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)indexPath
{
// Return NO if you do not want the specified item to be editable.
return YES;
}
*/

/*
// Override to support editing the table view.
- (void)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView commitEditingStyle:(UITableViewCellEditingStyle)editingStyle forRowAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)indexPath
{
if (editingStyle == UITableViewCellEditingStyleDelete)
{
// Delete the row from the data source.
[tableView deleteRowsAtIndexPaths:[NSArray arrayWithObject:indexPath] withRowAnimation:UITableViewRowAnimationFade];
}
else if (editingStyle == UITableViewCellEditingStyleInsert)
{
// Create a new instance of the appropriate class, insert it into the array, and add a new row to the table view.
}
}
*/

/*
// Override to support rearranging the table view.
- (void)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView moveRowAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)fromIndexPath toIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)toIndexPath
{
}
*/

/*
// Override to support conditional rearranging of the table view.
- (BOOL)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView canMoveRowAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)indexPath
{
// Return NO if you do not want the item to be re-orderable.
return YES;
}
*/

- (void)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView didSelectRowAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)indexPath
{
/*
<#DetailViewController#> *detailViewController = [[<#DetailViewController#> alloc] initWithNibName:@"<#Nib name#>" bundle:nil];
// ...
// Pass the selected object to the new view controller.
[self.navigationController pushViewController:detailViewController animated:YES];
[detailViewController release];
*/
}

- (void)didReceiveMemoryWarning
{
// Releases the view if it doesn't have a superview.
[super didReceiveMemoryWarning];

// Relinquish ownership any cached data, images, etc that aren't in use.
}

- (void)viewDidUnload
{
[super viewDidUnload];

// Relinquish ownership of anything that can be recreated in viewDidLoad or on demand.
// For example: self.myOutlet = nil;
}

- (void)dealloc
{
[super dealloc];
}

@end

And this is my InitialViewController, this is the view that the app opens with:

InitialViewController.h
#import <UIKit/UIKit.h>

@interface InitialViewController : UIViewController {

}

- (IBAction) enterButton: (id) sender;

@end

InitialViewController.m

#import "InitialViewController.h"

@implementation InitialViewController

- (IBAction) enterButton: (id) sender
{
[self.navigationController popViewControllerAnimated:NO];

}

- (id)initWithNibName:(NSString *)nibNameOrNil bundle:(NSBundle *)nibBundleOrNil
{
self = [super initWithNibName:nibNameOrNil bundle:nibBundleOrNil];
if (self) {
// Custom initialization
}
return self;
}

- (void)dealloc
{
[super dealloc];
}

{

// Release any cached data, images, etc that aren't in use.
}

#pragma mark - View lifecycle

- (void)viewDidLoad
{
[super viewDidLoad];
// Do any additional setup after loading the view from its nib.
}

- (void)viewDidUnload
{
[super viewDidUnload];
// Release any retained subviews of the main view.
// e.g. self.myOutlet = nil;
}

- (BOOL)shouldAutorotateToInterfaceOrientation:(UIInterfaceOrientation)interfaceOrientation
{
// Return YES for supported orientations
}

@end

The only thing I have removed from this is the code that populates the table as that uses information from a company that I don't think I should be sharing.

I also realised that the code I was using to load the InitialView first is actually a push command like you described, I had copied and pasted it from another website without realising what I was doing.

I actually think I'm ok now, your explination of the stack really helped me. so unless I got something horribly wrong in my last post I should be able to finnish this on my own.

Thanks again for your help it has made a big difference :D

Shawnpk
May 22, 2011, 10:06 PM
Here is the code I wrote. Maybe if you get stuck it will help.

RootViewController.h:
#import <UIKit/UIKit.h>
#import "TableView.h"
@interface RootViewController : UIViewController

{
TableView *secondView;
UIButton *button;
}

@property (nonatomic, retain) TableView *secondView;
@property (nonatomic, retain) IBOutlet UIButton *button;

- (IBAction) pushSecondView: (id) sender;

@end

RootViewController.m
#import "RootViewController.h"

@implementation RootViewController

@synthesize secondView, button;

- (IBAction) pushSecondView:(id)sender

{
TableView *view = [[TableView alloc]
initWithNibName: @"TableView"
bundle: nil];

self.secondView = view;
[view release];

[self.navigationController pushViewController: secondView animated: YES];
}

- (void)viewDidLoad
{
[super viewDidLoad];

self.title = @"Test";
}

{
}

{
}

{
}

{
}

/*
// Override to allow orientations other than the default portrait orientation.
- (BOOL)shouldAutorotateToInterfaceOrientation:(UIInterfaceOrientation)interfaceOrientation {
// Return YES for supported orientations.
}
*/

// Customize the number of sections in the table view.
{
return 1;
}

- (NSInteger)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView numberOfRowsInSection:(NSInteger)section
{
return 1;
}

// Customize the appearance of table view cells.
- (UITableViewCell *)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView cellForRowAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)indexPath
{
static NSString *CellIdentifier = @"Cell";

UITableViewCell *cell = [tableView dequeueReusableCellWithIdentifier:CellIdentifier];
if (cell == nil) {
cell = [[[UITableViewCell alloc] initWithStyle:UITableViewCellStyleDefault reuseIdentifier:CellIdentifier] autorelease];
}

cell.textLabel.text = @"Test";

// Configure the cell.
return cell;
}

/*
- (BOOL)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView canEditRowAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)indexPath
{
return YES;
}
*/

/*
- (void)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView commitEditingStyle:(UITableViewCellEditingStyle)editingStyle forRowAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)indexPath
{
if (editingStyle == UITableViewCellEditingStyleDelete)
{
// Delete the row from the data source.
[tableView deleteRowsAtIndexPaths:[NSArray arrayWithObject:indexPath] withRowAnimation:UITableViewRowAnimationFade];
}
else if (editingStyle == UITableViewCellEditingStyleInsert)
{
// Create a new instance of the appropriate class, insert it into the array, and add a new row to the table view.
}
}
*/

/*
- (void)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView moveRowAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)fromIndexPath toIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)toIndexPath
{
}
*/

/*
- (BOOL)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView canMoveRowAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)indexPath
{
return YES;
}
*/

- (void)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView didSelectRowAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)indexPath
{
/*
<#DetailViewController#> *detailViewController = [[<#DetailViewController#> alloc] initWithNibName:@"<#Nib name#>" bundle:nil];
// ...
[self.navigationController pushViewController:detailViewController animated:YES];
*/
}

{

// Relinquish ownership any cached data, images, etc that aren't in use.
}

- (void)viewDidUnload
{
[super viewDidUnload];

// Relinquish ownership of anything that can be recreated in viewDidLoad or on demand.
// For example: self.myOutlet = nil;
}

- (void)dealloc
{
[super dealloc];
}

@end

TableView.h
#import <UIKit/UIKit.h>
#import "ThirdViewController.h"

@interface TableView : UITableViewController

{
ThirdViewController *thirdView;
}

@property (nonatomic, retain) ThirdViewController *thirdView;

@end

TableView.m
#import "TableView.h"

@implementation TableView

@synthesize thirdView;

- (id)initWithStyle:(UITableViewStyle)style
{
self = [super initWithStyle:style];
if (self) {
// Custom initialization
}
return self;
}

- (void)dealloc
{
[super dealloc];
}

{

}

- (void)viewDidLoad
{
[super viewDidLoad];

self.title = @"Table View";

// Uncomment the following line to preserve selection between presentations.
// self.clearsSelectionOnViewWillAppear = NO;

// Uncomment the following line to display an Edit button in the navigation bar for this view controller.
// self.navigationItem.rightBarButtonItem = self.editButtonItem;
}

- (void)viewDidUnload
{
[super viewDidUnload];
}

{
}

{
}

{
}

{
}

- (BOOL)shouldAutorotateToInterfaceOrientation:(UIInterfaceOrientation)interfaceOrientation
{
}

#pragma mark - Table view data source

{
//#warning Potentially incomplete method implementation.
// Return the number of sections.
return 1;
}

- (NSInteger)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView numberOfRowsInSection:(NSInteger)section
{
//#warning Incomplete method implementation.
// Return the number of rows in the section.
return 1;
}

{
static NSString *CellIdentifier = @"Cell";

UITableViewCell *cell = [tableView dequeueReusableCellWithIdentifier:CellIdentifier];
if (cell == nil) {
cell = [[[UITableViewCell alloc] initWithStyle:UITableViewCellStyleDefault reuseIdentifier:CellIdentifier] autorelease];
}

// Configure the cell...

cell.textLabel.text = @"Test";

return cell;
}

/*
{
return YES;
}
*/

/*
{
if (editingStyle == UITableViewCellEditingStyleDelete) {
// Delete the row from the data source
}
else if (editingStyle == UITableViewCellEditingStyleInsert) {
// Create a new instance of the appropriate class, insert it into the array, and add a new row to the table view
}
}
*/

/*
{
}
*/

/*
{
return YES;
}
*/

#pragma mark - Table view delegate

{
// Navigation logic may go here. Create and push another view controller.
/*
// ...
*/

ThirdViewController *view = [[ThirdViewController alloc]
initWithNibName: @"ThirdViewController"
bundle: nil];

self.thirdView = view;
[view release];

[self.navigationController pushViewController: thirdView animated: YES];
}

@end

ThirdViewController.h
#import <UIKit/UIKit.h>

@interface ThirdViewController : UIViewController {

}

@end

ThirdViewController.m
#import "ThirdViewController.h"

@implementation ThirdViewController

- (id)initWithNibName:(NSString *)nibNameOrNil bundle:(NSBundle *)nibBundleOrNil
{
self = [super initWithNibName:nibNameOrNil bundle:nibBundleOrNil];
if (self) {
// Custom initialization
}
return self;
}

- (void)dealloc
{
[super dealloc];
}

{

}

- (void)viewDidLoad
{
[super viewDidLoad];
// Do any additional setup after loading the view from its nib.

self.title = @"Third View";
}

- (void)viewDidUnload
{
[super viewDidUnload];
}

{
}

@end

The NIB files are pretty basic. Just labels and buttons to push the views. The button in the Navigation Bar is what pops the views off of the stack. You can see that particular button tells you which view you are going back to.

**Sorry for the long post

teengohan
May 22, 2011, 10:27 PM
You've done more than enough. Before you posted that last page I managed to get my navigation code working perfectly. All I need to do now is display the correct information when a user selects a cell on the table which I know how to do. Your explination of the stack really helped me out :D

perhaps I can sleep now :S

Thanks so much