PDA

View Full Version : Macbook pro hard drive free space incorrect?

leishman63
May 22, 2011, 10:53 AM
I have a MBP running OS 10.6.7 and the hard drive is unusually full?

When Macintosh HD is selected in the finder window with all the folders showing the size column it totals 147GB.

However when I go onto get info for my Macintosh HD it comes up with 305.7GB used space?

Can anybody help me as to why this is almost double the size and tell me how to solve the problem to free up some space on my hard drive?

Thanks in advanced

Leishman63

wrldwzrd89
May 23, 2011, 06:49 AM
It is normal for there to be some difference between the used space on the drive reported by a Get Info on the drive, and the same space reported by selecting all visible folders - the simple explanation is that there are hidden folders where the UNIX underpinnings of Mac OS X live... however that much of a difference is unusual, and suggests you have a runaway log file. Tracking down the offending log is easy... but finding the process creating the logs requires a bit of digging into Console, usually.

Mal
May 23, 2011, 11:07 AM
Download OmniDiskSweeper or GrandPerspective (Google should find either quickly) to see where the disk space is being used. I agree you might have a runaway log file somewhere, but those will quickly let you find exactly where's there's space being used.

jW

leishman63
May 23, 2011, 12:15 PM
Thank you for you're response. I ran omnidisksweeper and it turned out that super-duper had run a backup into my volumes folder.

Thanks again

ron11n
Sep 19, 2011, 09:50 AM
I had same problem this days, my HDD was reporting 66GB available but I could only counted ~90. The rest were a hidden backup, don't know how it got there.
I solved the issue with Daisy Disk.