Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
My mac is a G3 iMac 500 MHz Summer 2001 running Mac OS X v.10.3.8. Right now, I am running three iLife apps, iTunes 4.7.1, iMove 3.0.3, and iPhoto 2.0.1. I am considering buying iLife '05 this weekend. Here's what I do with my iLife: I have an iTunes library of about 600 songs, and use it daily with my iPod mini. Since I have the most recent version of iTunes, I wouldn't need to use the disc with iLife. Second, I am an ametur filmmaker. This has become a hobby with me, and I have made a hit show with my family and friends that uses photos from iPhoto, which brings me to that. My mom is buying a new digital camera (The Canon S500) this weekend, and I thought that I should upgrade my version of iPhoto. Now, since I don't have a DVD drive, I can't use iDVD and Garageband.

So, will iLife be worth it for me? I am buying a new iMac this summer, around August. Your help is appreciated.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
if you can just wait for the new Mac thats what i would do, why waste your money now for a copy of iLife 05 when you get a copy with your new mac?

now if you are unsure you are going to be getting that Mac this summer, then maybe consider it, but i dont think you will see any major changes that will make the purchase worth it until you get your new Mac

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
ClarkeB said:
What does having a DVD player have to do with garageband?

GarageBand requires a DVD player for installation. Also, GarageBand requires a 600 MHz processor or better, and mine is 500 MHz.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Don't bother, especially since you're getting it in August. I did the same upgrade recently and I'm quite happy with it but it's not a huge improvement. Put the money towards more RAM for the iMac instead. :)

Mr. Durden

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2005
Colorado
Just hang on a while. The upgrades to iLife are nice, but nothing groundbreaking or necessary. Especially if you are upgrading soon, I would just keep the cash or use it for something else. If you dont have .mac, you could use it for that...

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Whether or not you upgrade depends on how much you use iMovie, in my opinion.

The new version of iPhoto is a lot faster, which is nice, but you can deal with a slow photo program. iMovie, on the other hand, has come a fairly long way since version 3.0, so if you just use it a little, wait until you get a new mac, if you use it a lot, go ahead and upgrade now.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003
Anyone know if you can burn a avi movie to a dvd in the new idvd? I have heard of this but not sure because if im not mistaken you cant burn an avi to dvd in the last version nor could you burn an avi video in toast to a dvd to be viewable on a dvd player.

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
Espnetboy3 said:
Anyone know if you can burn a avi movie to a dvd in the new idvd? I have heard of this but not sure because if im not mistaken you cant burn an avi to dvd in the last version nor could you burn an avi video in toast to a dvd to be viewable on a dvd player.
Don't understand why you couldn't just use Quicktime Pro to convert to .Mov if iDvd didn't accept it?

kyle

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'm not sure where I got this but I read somewhere that you can import them into iMovie and then export them into iDVD. I'd give it a try but I don't have a superdrive just yet. :(

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003
I read somewhere on these forums it burns avi files. Im not sure about the new imoviehd but the old one wouldnt accept avi files . The thing is most avi's also dont play in quicktime. Is this correct?

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Wouldn't iLife 2004 work for GarageBand for your specs? Other than that... I'd have to say... buy Photoshop and a Card Reader for your Camera... If you do a lot with Photos and are planning on getting a new Mac, I say go for it.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
here are some more specifics on what I do with iLife.....

Once again, iTunes would have no use to me, as it is already on my computer with a growing library of over 700 songs.

Now, about my digital video. I'm not getting my new iMac until this summer, and it may be earlier than August, depending on my paycheck. Also, I consider myself an ametur video maker, hoping to become a professional one day and do it for a living. When I get my iMac, I am planning on getting FinalCut Express, once I get the money, and also I will get the educational discount, none the less. I also am going to use iPhoto more with my new hit series that I send to my family showing photos from iPhoto and playing a feature song from iTunes. One more thing: My mom is buying a new Canon 5 megapixel camera this weekend, and she has said that she is going to take more pictures.

I appreciate your insight!

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Hi, well if you really want it now buy it with the EDU discount and save money...if not then wait for your new iMac and still save more. I know the EDU calendar is until June or July then it starts over again so you won't really have to worry about the 2 titles a yr. problem it just becomes a $$$ spent to saved issue $59 now or save that and use it later on the iMac...either way enjoy :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.