PDA

View Full Version : Phishing and Malware Emails Posing as Apple and the iPhone 5 Launch

MacRumors
May 22, 2011, 04:49 PM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/22/phishing-and-malware-emails-posing-as-apple-and-the-iphone-5-launch/)

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/iphone5.jpg

(http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/malware.png)
We've received a number of warnings from readers over the last couple of weeks about fraudulent emails that look a lot like official Apple emails. These emails are structured just like Apple's promotional emails, but are actually attempts to lure unsuspecting customers into entering their Apple IDs and other personal information. Such so called "phishing" attempts are common and readers should be wary about following links from any emails.

What caught our eye is that the latest round of these fraudulent emails are actually leveraging the hype around the next generation iPhone. The latest email (pictured above) passes itself off as an Apple launch email for the iPhone 5. (Full size (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/malware.png)). It cobbles together various photos from the internet and entices users to click on "Learn More". The learn more link, however, links to a Windows executable which we presume to be malware (virus, trojan, keylogger, etc...), so readers are warned to avoid clicking on any links from these emails.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/iphone5gs.png

(http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/iphone5gs.png)

Reports of compromised App Store and Apple ID accounts have generated a lot of press in the past due to the scale of the iTunes Stores. It was believed that account details were stolen using these sort of techniques rather than any sort of vulnerability in iTunes itself.

Another example:

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/phish-500x316.jpg

Article Link: Phishing and Malware Emails Posing as Apple and the iPhone 5 Launch (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/22/phishing-and-malware-emails-posing-as-apple-and-the-iphone-5-launch/)

daneoni
May 22, 2011, 04:52 PM
Glad i decided to remove CC details from my Apple account (and Amazon's) when the PSN story broke.

Hastings101
Yuck, what an ugly phone on the left.

markieg
people falling for these obviously fake fraudulent apps/emails is creating a bad reputation for mac users...

atticus18244fsa
May 22, 2011, 04:53 PM
Transparent mode? Ya, ok... :p

inket
May 22, 2011, 04:53 PM
Whoever falls for that *OBVIOUS* fake email kinda deserves it.

arn
May 22, 2011, 04:55 PM
people falling for these obviously fake fraudulent apps/emails is creating a bad reputation for mac users...

They're not all obviously fake. Others look identical to Apple emails. The links just are sent to non apple domains.

arn

Voidness
May 22, 2011, 04:55 PM
"MMS support from AT&T coming in late summer"

When will AT&T get their act together!? :mad:

ECUpirate44
May 22, 2011, 04:56 PM
How awful does that big 5 look on the back of the phone lol. I'd know it was fake just because of that.

Boghog
May 22, 2011, 04:59 PM

Made me grin how obvious and silly this email is. One might even call it a parody of a phishing mail - if it didn't link to real malware but rather to a webpage ridiculing the victim.

EDIT: looking at it more closely I suspect that it must be a prank. "iPhone just turned black" is hilarious. And the GS after the name iPhone 5. Priceless.

Sammio2
May 22, 2011, 04:59 PM
BAhahahahaha Transparency mode...

For those times when you wish finding your iPhone was that bit harder!

Anaemik
May 22, 2011, 05:00 PM
So, it's transparent AND it has a slide-out keyboard? Cool!

FSMBP
May 22, 2011, 05:03 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Please tell me MacRumors is joking & that this is real. I saw the email and gave them my Apple ID/password & voluntarily sent them the last 4 digits of my soc.

May 22, 2011, 05:09 PM
I just ordered two.

markieg
May 22, 2011, 05:09 PM
Please tell me MacRumors is joking & that this is real. I saw the email and gave them my Apple ID/password & voluntarily sent them the last 4 digits of my soc.

... this is why pc users think they're better than mac users

cgriffis753
May 22, 2011, 05:10 PM
Hate to be a bit harsh, but anybody who actually thought those emails were real has GOT TO BE a friction retard!!!!

bennettave
May 22, 2011, 05:10 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

why wouldn't apple sue?

arn
May 22, 2011, 05:11 PM
here's another phishing email

v66jack
May 22, 2011, 05:13 PM
I love the eink style iPhone. Could be awesome for reading on the go. Now you don't hit that lampost.

Bluefusion
May 22, 2011, 05:13 PM

So what you've gotta do is change your Apple ID's password. Right now.

And then, also, if you're already on the Macrumors forums, why not read the news articles? The iPhone 5 doesn't exist (yet). Would you really have heard absolutely nothing about it? When you're ON the Macrumors website?...

... think a little more next time, k? (I'm trying to be constructive)

celo48
May 22, 2011, 05:15 PM
I don't even know why MacRumors posted this????

technicsdj
May 22, 2011, 05:16 PM
The huge 5 on the back makes me want to add another line just so I can get it. I am so excited about the (TRANSPARENT MODE!!!!!)

FSMBP
May 22, 2011, 05:17 PM

And then, also, if you're already on the Macrumors forums, why not read the news articles? The iPhone 5 doesn't exist (yet). Would you really have heard absolutely nothing about it? When you're ON the Macrumors website?...

Clearly MacRumors can't understand sarcasm today. I figured saying I voluntarily gave them my soc would have made that obvious.

coder12
... viruses and malware eh?

Oh wait--I'm on a mac ;)

munkery
Losing valuable data via phishing emails can be avoided.

- Always manually navigate to the logins of encrypted security sensitive websites and never login to these websites from links in emails, email attachments, instant messages, & etc even if the certificate appears to be legitimate. This prevents login credentials from being stolen via advanced phishing techniques that use cross-site scripting.

See the links in my sig for more details.

Glad i decided to remove CC details from my Apple account (and Amazon's) when the PSN story broke.

Unless you fell for the phishing email, your data is not at risk. This does not represent an incident of SQL, PHP, or other types of web app injection that would provide access to the database that stores credit card data.

Removing your data could be a fruitless measure if apple maintains backups of that data for any length of time. But, removing your data won't hurt anything either.

Nukemkb
May 22, 2011, 05:18 PM
Broken hearted...I did not get one! I feel so left out! ;)

STOCK411
May 22, 2011, 05:18 PM

i think he was joking

jeffkope
May 22, 2011, 05:19 PM
Hate to be a bit harsh, but anybody who actually thought those emails were real has GOT TO BE a friction retard!!!!

I grabbed my iPhone as soon as I read this and typed in "frickin" just to see if it autocorrected to "friction"

I feel your pain man. It gets me too.

Bluefusion
May 22, 2011, 05:19 PM

Clearly MacRumors can't understand sarcasm today. I figured saying I voluntarily gave them my soc would have made that obvious.

It DID seem pretty weird (and why only the last 4?), but stranger things have happened!

munkery
May 22, 2011, 05:23 PM
I don't even know why MacRumors posted this????

Why wouldn't MacRumors post this?

This info could prevent users from falling for the scam. This attack targets anybody that uses iTunes regardless of OS. The linked malware is for Windows.

Anonymous Freak
May 22, 2011, 05:25 PM
To those decrying how obvious the first one is - yes, that one is blatantly obvious to most people.

But look at the second one. Many phishing attempts are *NOT* as obvious as the first one. And some are apparently wandering around that look EXACTLY like a legitimate Apple email.

doug in albq
May 22, 2011, 05:26 PM

I got that one sent to me. Did not think it was real.

Jakintosh™
May 22, 2011, 05:27 PM
Oh wow, I actually got that adobe one a few days ago. I thought it was weird that the text was red, and that apple had sent out an email about an adobe product. It's a good thing I had no interest in that at all and deleted it.

Westyfield2
May 22, 2011, 05:27 PM
I feel left out having not been sent one :(.

From where I'm sitting the iPhone 5 one easily looks fake, but the Adobe one is a good bit more convincing.

celo48
May 22, 2011, 05:33 PM
Why wouldn't MacRumors post this?

This info could prevent users from falling for the scam. This attack targets anybody that uses iTunes regardless of OS. The linked malware is for Windows.

I think we all can tell if an email is a scam or not by now, no?????

chrono1081
May 22, 2011, 05:37 PM
WOW...assuming the below people are not joking/being sarcastic...

That will do nothing. This is a fishing email. The goal is to take you to a legit looking link and have you enter your details again.

"MMS support from AT&T coming in late summer"

When will AT&T get their act together!? :mad:

Um...ATT has had MMS for a long time now.

Oh wait--I'm on a mac ;)

This isn't viruses or malware, its a fishing scheme and anyone with an email address is susceptible.

*LTD*
May 22, 2011, 05:37 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134b Safari/6533.18.5)

I doubt my "reputation" in tech or as a Mac user is something I'd bother caring about.

canucksfan88
May 22, 2011, 05:38 PM
comon guys...to most average consumers...they cannot spot the difference. we can only tell its fake because we are apple nerds lmao. the adobe one is pretty convincing.

baryon
May 22, 2011, 05:38 PM

I actually got that one, but the red numbers just looked out of place. Then of course it was in my Junk folder which seemed weird, and then I noticed the sender is something that ends with live.com... lol!

But I can imagine people falling for this. Not everyone knows Apple's graphic design standards. Imagine an elderly person who barely understands what the internet is, they could easily fall for this. So saying "you must be stupid to fall for this" isn't very smart. And it only takes a couple of victims for the phisher to be able to make enough money, for free.

Fresh1
May 22, 2011, 05:39 PM
The only thing the second email would do for me... is make me search for a scene release of the Adobe programs ;)

*LTD*
May 22, 2011, 05:41 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134b Safari/6533.18.5)

Oh wait--I'm on a mac ;)

Phishing scams aren't malware. They're just scams.

NAG
May 22, 2011, 05:47 PM
I don't really understand how the first one could trick anyone. You only need a very basic understanding of physics. The only way they could have made it more blatant is to say it includes a kitchen sink. I think that is why they have a piece of malware in the learn more link as well as the usual phishing tactic.

The second one is a bit harder to pick up on from a design stand point alone (many ads look that garish with the red text and whatnot, not Apple ads but ads nevertheless).

slackpacker
May 22, 2011, 05:49 PM
Ya I got the Adobe deals that looks like it was from Apple.

It was an above average attempt... for Dirty Scum

MonkeyET
May 22, 2011, 05:51 PM
I was sent the Adobe email. I thought it was a weird color scheme for Apple. Normally their emails and correspondences are appealing to the eye. I did not like this particular email. Of course it didn't make sense that Apple would email out about an Adobe product. The only reason I opened it was because I thought it was Final Cut or Logic Pro email.

ten-oak-druid
May 22, 2011, 05:58 PM
...The learn more link, however, links to a Windows executable which we presume to be malware (virus, trojan, keylogger, etc...) ...

Aren't people tired of this yet? Just go pick up a macbook pro to go with that iphone and be done with this nonsense already.

As for the apple email, OS X's mail app highlights mail from Apple in blue as a default rule. Are these emails activating that rule and highlighting it blue?

MH01
May 22, 2011, 05:59 PM
Well it's official, macs have become popular! I prefer the old world when scammers etc did not know what a mac was.... Sadly people who left PCs are going to get stung, due to apple marketing ( I'm a PC / mac ) for so long, people think they are safe.

Now for all you guys going on about that people who fall for this , deserve it cause it's soooo fake. Sorry but grow up! These emails are quite good to be honest , and people will for them. Sure you can be smug all you like that you can pick it as a fake etc... But go spend a day in the Apple store, then you might realise how bad this might play out on the average punter who ditched PCs to get away from it.

Time to pull the heads out of the sand and accept that Apple products are going to be targeted now that apple is growing at a huge rate. Time to ditch the macs are safe stereotype and proactively educate the users.

MarkMS
May 22, 2011, 06:06 PM
I got that Adobe email in Gmail. What tipped me off were the links when I hovered over them. In the status bar in Safari and Chrome, they were linking to some weird site and not http://apple.com

I promptly reported it as spam and now checking my spam folder I see the more similar phishing emails. I guess the good 'ol Google added them to their spam list. :D

*LTD*
May 22, 2011, 06:06 PM

Well it's official, macs have become popular! I prefer the old world when scammers etc did not know what a mac was.... Sadly people who left PCs are going to get stung, due to apple marketing ( I'm a PC / mac ) for so long, people think they are safe.

Now for all you guys going on about that people who fall for this , deserve it cause it's soooo fake. Sorry but grow up! These emails are quite good to be honest , and people will for them. Sure you can be smug all you like that you can pick it as a fake etc... But go spend a day in the Apple store, then you might realise how bad this might play out on the average punter who ditched PCs to get away from it.

Time to pull the heads out of the sand and accept that Apple products are going to be targeted now that apple is growing at a huge rate. Time to ditch the macs are safe stereotype and proactively educate the users.

Zzzz ....

Phishing is nothing new, and e-mails scams directed at Mac users are nothing new either.

Where's all the malware we've been promised every single year for the last decade? But NOW macs are popular. It'll be THIS year. They promise. Really. Honest.

Rinse, repeat. Each year.

daneoni
May 22, 2011, 06:07 PM
Losing valuable data via phishing emails can be avoided.
Unless you fell for the phishing email, your data is not at risk. This does not represent an incident of SQL, PHP, or other types of web app injection that would provide access to the database that stores credit card data.

Removing your data could be a fruitless measure if apple maintains backups of that data for any length of time. But, removing your data won't hurt anything either.

WOW...assuming the below people are not joking/being sarcastic...
That will do nothing. This is a fishing email. The goal is to take you to a legit looking link and have you enter your details again.

Aye carumba! I know this wasn't really clear in my post but i was speaking in more general terms of not leaving CC details with any company online as general precaution. Hence my ref of the PSN saga (other companies have been hacked recently too). I know it's a phishing email...i'm not the smartest person out there but i'm also not an idiot.

blevins321
May 22, 2011, 06:08 PM
Personally I think things like this make up a terrific IQ test for the Internet. If you're dumb enough to fall for these type of things, you deserved to get scammed at least once. Then hopefully after the first time you're smarter with what you click on.

GGJstudios
May 22, 2011, 06:11 PM
Well it's official, macs have become popular! I prefer the old world when scammers etc did not know what a mac was....

It has nothing to do with Macs becoming popular. Macs have always been targeted. This is nothing new. Are you forgetting that the very first virus in the wild targeted Apple computers? There has always been malware in the wild that attacked Apple users, and there have always been phishing scams such as this that target all computer users, regardless of their OS of choice.

Cheerwino
May 22, 2011, 06:15 PM
I am a friction retard.

MH01
May 22, 2011, 06:16 PM

Zzzz ....

Phishing is nothing new, and e-mails scams directed at Mac users are nothing new either.

Where's all the malware we've been promised every single year for the last decade? But NOW macs are popular. It'll be THIS year. They promise. Really. Honest.

Yup zzzzz..... Still have no idea how your responses are not treated as spam... They are just rinse, repeat ... Each and every thread. To be honest you might have been hacked for years now but due to your devotion all things Apple, would never accept it... Or even thought it was possible. Did it occur to you that not every malware is discovered or published on macrumors so you can rinse and repeat your comments.

When I got my first mac, there was nothing. So to have malware present... It blows!!!

zeemeerman2
May 22, 2011, 06:19 PM
Apple always keeps innovating!

Then, when you expect 4G networks should start to enroll soon, Apple gives you a 5G network compatible phone!

And when you think it's just the iPhone 5, think again. Apple is so much above all competition in terms of technology, they simply have to name it the iPhone 5G S!

Now with a transparent wallpaper, fully customizable in different kinds of transparency. It's just great, since when I take a picture with the camera, I always wanted to see "behind" the phone to see what I'm actually snapshotting. Now I can, so revolutionary!

Plus, if you so desire the standard water droplets background, just wait until it rains, catch a few droplets with the back of your iPhone and you have a nice and pretty wallpaper about water droplets. Now people are finally happy when it rains instead of always complaining about the rain. This simply revolutionary!

Then the QWERTY keyboard, that's just pure awesomeness! I always wanted to type 2 text messages at the same time. Now with 2 keyboards, I can! I can be gentle and use the soft screen keyboard, or I can use the hard keys if I wanted to be rude (e.g. for complaining about Android).

The technology behind this is simply outstanding! Just imagine what it takes to make those black plastic keys fully transparent for when using the phone in transparent mode!

And in the small letters at the bottom:
"MMS support from AT&T coming in late summer."
This is just priceless! This phone is the first iPhone 5G S with MMS support. If someone is able to deliver something that awesome, it just has to be Apple! Now beat that, HTC/Nokia/Samsung/etc...!

The blackness is purely amazing! Never before was another phone so black as this one. It's that black even black holes are jealous of the color of the iPhone 5G S!

But since black is just not a color, it's the absence of color and light, this is a paradoxical phone.

This is, because the iPhone IS light. It doesn't weigh much, so you can't tell it's heavy. Though it is still black. When it's not transparent. That is what makes it special.

This is the start of a new era. A phone of pure awesomeness. Black yet light, 5G capable, lightning fast (no thunderbolt because thunder is slower than lightning) and... and...

Wait whut? Is it just spam? Serious? Oh... I should have known...

res1233
May 22, 2011, 06:25 PM
Apple always keeps innovating!

Then, when you expect 4G networks should start to enroll soon, Apple gives you a 5G network compatible phone!

And when you think it's just the iPhone 5, think again. Apple is so much above all competition in terms of technology, they simply have to name it the iPhone 5G S!

Now with a transparent wallpaper, fully customizable in different kinds of transparency. It's just great, since when I take a picture with the camera, I always wanted to see "behind" the phone to see what I'm actually snapshotting. Now I can, so revolutionary!

Plus, if you so desire the standard water droplets background, just wait until it rains, catch a few droplets with the back of your iPhone and you have a nice and pretty wallpaper about water droplets. Now people are finally happy when it rains instead of always complaining about the rain. This simply revolutionary!

Then the QWERTY keyboard, that's just pure awesomeness! I always wanted to type 2 text messages at the same time. Now with 2 keyboards, I can! I can be gentle and use the soft screen keyboard, or I can use the hard keys if I wanted to be rude (e.g. for complaining about Android).

The technology behind this is simply outstanding! Just imagine what it takes to make those black plastic keys fully transparent for when using the phone in transparent mode!

And in the small letters at the bottom:
"MMS support from AT&T coming in late summer."
This is just priceless! This phone is the first iPhone 5G S with MMS support. If someone is able to deliver something that awesome, it just has to be Apple! Now beat that, HTC/Nokia/Samsung/etc...!

The blackness is purely amazing! Never before was another phone so black as this one. It's that black even black holes are jealous of the color of the iPhone 5G S!

But since black is just not a color, it's the absence of color and light, this is a paradoxical phone.

This is, because the iPhone IS light. It doesn't weigh much, so you can't tell it's heavy. Though it is still black. When it's not transparent. That is what makes it special.

This is the start of a new era. A phone of pure awesomeness. Black yet light, 5G capable, lightning fast (no thunderbolt because thunder is slower than lightning) and... and...

Wait whut? Is it just spam? Serious? Oh... I should have known...

That was pretty good. But the thing the majority of the world doesn't seem to know yet is that there are in fact man-made materials that are completely invisible to the eye, and I don't mean glass. I'm talking about a materiel that redirects light around it. It's pretty neat:http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/08/080811092450.htm

RebeccaL
May 22, 2011, 06:26 PM
The Adbobe one looks realistic.

But the iPhone scamers where quite lazy, transparent mockup :rolleyes:. And for the second pic they didn't even bother to put a mocukup, that's a 4 in a boxwave keyboard case.

kiljoy616
May 22, 2011, 06:33 PM
After all these years incredible that they still fall for stuff like this. :rolleyes:

Slix
May 22, 2011, 06:43 PM
People falling for this stuff is really lame, I mean, iPhone is mis-typed on the "Iphone turns black" (gotta admit, that's kinda funny).

Oh well, people will always fall for this stuff sometimes.

Mike Oxard
May 22, 2011, 06:45 PM
I got the Adobe one, the sender was Apple* which made me suspicious without even opening it. It also has along code in the subject. How did they get my email address or is it just a bulk mailing thing?

*LTD*
May 22, 2011, 06:52 PM

Zzzz ....

Yup zzzzz..... Still have no idea how your responses are not treated as spam... They are just rinse, repeat ... Each and every thread. To be honest you might have been hacked for years now but due to your devotion all things Apple, would never accept it... Or even thought it was possible. Did it occur to you that not every malware is discovered or published on macrumors so you can rinse and repeat your comments.

When I got my first mac, there was nothing. So to have malware present... It blows!!!

If only there was enough Mac malware in the wild to substantiate your claims.

There just isn't.

The fact that I tell you you're wrong (when you are) isn't spam. The fact that I do it to posters other than you just indicates a lot of fallacy that gets my attention.

Once again, this is a phishing scam. It's not malware. They've been around for both Mac and PC platforms for years. This one got reported because it's got "iPhone 5" in the text and looks like a half-decent photoshop job.

Zzzz indeed. Nothing to see here.

metsgiantsfan
May 22, 2011, 06:52 PM
I received the Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 email. Right away, there was no doubt in my mind this was a fake. First of all, it was sent to various email addresses which seem to be random. Then, I knew Apple would not be sending an email to its customers about Adobe products. Finally, the URLs on the email are linked to some http://wwwisis.ufg.edu.sv/virtual/img/index.php. Besides these things, this email was real legit!

Eddyisgreat
May 22, 2011, 06:56 PM
The Adbobe one looks realistic.

Eh. The subject line has this weird code in it, there's a typo in the "fin d a store" button, and the prices are low enough so that anyone with a legitimate use for CS would know that's way too far below retail price...even academic price...to be legit.

Simply scrolling to the bottom to see the weird address should tip off some red flags. This is a very horrible attempt imo. Do I think it would be ABSOLUTELY obvious to EVERYONE? no. But I think anyone who reads the email from top to bottom or better yet has seen a legit apple email will know right off the bat that something isn't right. An email from apple obviously will never have "cannon2trevoram@live.com" as the "from" email with "trudy2gisellafsdc@live.com; elladinetysvfapw@live.com; holcombalantxz@live.com; clivesparkswoqc@live.com; curranpenakqsd@live.com" CC'd, as does mine.

BTW this isn't malware. Its no different than me emailing you a link that says "CLICK NOW I BUY YOU APPLE SOFTWARE FOR 1 DOLLAR".

ad2435
May 22, 2011, 07:19 PM
If you're safe with your email address, you wouldn't recieve these email scams in the first place.

Just sayin.

Doug Young
May 22, 2011, 07:24 PM
The Fake Adobe email links to an entire site which is very convincing for those who might not care about design or for that matter, what it says in their address bar

The site has over 1500 pages (I downloaded it using SiteSucker just for kicks) and allows a user to select from a huge range of software (including Adobe, MS, Quark, VMWare etc) at bargain prices with a complete shopping cart where you can get scammed for your credit card (or perhaps get to download some virus laden turd)

The link to the phishing site is very similar to the following link and I am surprised it is still up almost a week after I received the email

http://kas*a*m*laka.gov.my/images/stories/food/index.php
(link has been changed to protect the innocent)

I vaguely remember Google warning when visiting a site that is suspected to be phishing (maybe they get flagged via dns?). If that is the case, what do we do to report these scams (I already reported it to Microsoft due to their stance on piracy, but perhaps this is not piracy so I am not sure they would do anything)

ten-oak-druid
May 22, 2011, 07:27 PM
Phishing has the potential to affect users of any OS. That has always been the case. As for this being specifically "phishing directed towards mac users", windows users have iphones too. And mac users could just as easily be taken in by phishing offers that have nothing to do with Apple products.

But the only malware here is a Windows executable. So lets drop the talk about viruses hitting macs now because their popularity has increased.

^I only see windows malware mentioned in this article. What mac malware are you talking about?

Voidness
May 22, 2011, 07:39 PM
Um...ATT has had MMS for a long time now.
I know ;) But look at the disclaimers at the bottom of the fake iPhone 5GS e-mail: http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/malware.png

toddybody
May 22, 2011, 07:45 PM
An important thing to remember is that these emails are targeted at less informed consumers...not the type that grace MR.

jclardy
May 22, 2011, 07:52 PM
Just what I want to see while trying to read my phone screen: The back of my hand.

Translucent screens look cool in scifi movies but they don't serve much of a practical purpose.

Maybe in a tablet it would be useful so you can see where you are walking while walking around, but not so much in a phone.

ten-oak-druid
May 22, 2011, 07:52 PM

Lets think about this for a moment. How could someone be affected by the iphone 5 email?

Person on a PC gets an email for a deal on an iphone 5. The person clicks the link and goes to the site where personal information could be entered and collected. So far the danger is equal to all computer users regardless of OS. (Mac owners are not the only people interested in iphones). At the site, the person may decide not to enter information because it doesn't look right. Crisis averted. Except the only problem is that if you own a Windows PC, just clicking the link may have activated an executable that harmed the computer already.

This scenario is the same as it always was. Nothing new here.

Anyway Windows 7 (http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2009/11/03/windows-7-vulnerable-8-10-viruses/) is changing things right?

mack pro
May 22, 2011, 08:09 PM

Uh oh.... I hope you're joking. The first thing a Windows owner learns is never open an email from someone you don't know. I thought that was common knowledge for mac owners. Malware is alot more common on windows than viruses these day and they can be a real bitch to get off your pc. It literally takes over your computer and trys to force you to buy their software. Malware is some really nasty****.

aYzz
May 22, 2011, 08:14 PM
If the attacker that made the Adobe Creative Suite email had made the price glossy black, it would look legit. Scary.

marian99us
May 22, 2011, 08:25 PM
these crazy phishing websites are also hitting Facebook bigtime!!
this spine chilling article is a must read...
Facebook and phishing (http://techistan.alimsyed.com/techistan/Entries/2011/5/23_facebook_under_attack_by_unprecedented_Phishing.html)

I mean where are we all going with this? when is it going to end?

tablo13
May 22, 2011, 08:29 PM
Haha, the "5" before GS looks so fake, like it was done on MS Paint. Those complaining about people falling for it, Facebook isn't EVEN close to this. From events, links posted on wall, comments, links sent via chat... scam/spam everywhere.

devilstrider
May 22, 2011, 08:43 PM
Transparent mode? Ya, ok... :p

lol Yeah man I can't believe people fall for that.

arkmannj
May 22, 2011, 08:53 PM
I don't really understand how the first one could trick anyone. You only need a very basic understanding of physics.

I understand what you're getting at, and can appreciate your perspective, but you know my parents and grandparents are already seeing things on a daily basis that amazes them and they never thought they'd see in their lifetime. The iPhone alone is amazing to them, that someone can have a phone, connect to email, get directions, store your journal, play games, buy music, but tickets to the symphony on the way there, take video, edit the video then share it with the world. So I think from there perspective they'd just be thinking "Oh wow, that looks like something our grandkids would be interested in" and then they might venture to check it out. They're all intelligent people, but not technology geeks, or anything so to them I could see that it may seem somewhat plausible and unfortunately I'm sure it's that kind of people that the scammers are preying on.

charlituna
May 22, 2011, 09:05 PM

Oh wait--I'm on a mac ;)

I was at one of the stores today and saw the new ipad signs. I couldn't help noticing that it every clearly said "Doesn't get PC viruses" (not no viruses, just not PC ones).

GGJstudios
May 22, 2011, 09:07 PM
I was at one of the stores today and saw the new ipad signs. I couldn't help noticing that it every clearly said "Doesn't get PC viruses" (not no viruses, just not PC ones).
It doesn't get Mac viruses, either, since none exist in the wild.

Taeraresh
May 22, 2011, 09:16 PM
I've gotten several emails purporting to be from Apple over the last week, most being fake confirmations and cancellations of Apple Store orders.

reportphishing@apple.com is the place to send any of the Apple ones.

NAG
May 22, 2011, 09:23 PM
I understand what you're getting at, and can appreciate your perspective, but you know my parents and grandparents are already seeing things on a daily basis that amazes them and they never thought they'd see in their lifetime. The iPhone alone is amazing to them, that someone can have a phone, connect to email, get directions, store your journal, play games, buy music, but tickets to the symphony on the way there, take video, edit the video then share it with the world. So I think from there perspective they'd just be thinking "Oh wow, that looks like something our grandkids would be interested in" and then they might venture to check it out. They're all intelligent people, but not technology geeks, or anything so to them I could see that it may seem somewhat plausible and unfortunately I'm sure it's that kind of people that the scammers are preying on.

I was engaging in a bit of hyperbole. I am well aware that some people will completely accept that we have the technology for metal to become invisible even though they've never seen such a thing before (and I'll also blame the media and scientists for failing to explain discoveries correctly...although I mostly blame the media for requiring everything to be sensational/wrong).

So I'll disagree with the intelligence part. And no, I don't require knowing what the latest tech specs and jargon mean to be intelligent. I do require some processing of what they see every day and being able to apply that, though. That doesn't mean they're bad people. They're just intellectually lazy.

CFreymarc
May 22, 2011, 09:27 PM

Totally agree. Super flat, transparent smart-phones only exist in CAD packages and concept shows. I'm sure some nanotechnology houses are dreaming to do stuff like this; it is not there for a few decades.

charlituna
May 22, 2011, 09:36 PM
I am a friction retard.

I believe there is a cream for that.

Then, I knew Apple would not be sending an email to its customers about Adobe products.

Sure they would. But that special price would be "with the purchase of a brand new Mac computer. At Apple Retail Stores and Apple Online Store only"

And they would mask all emails it was sent to.

primmstereo
May 22, 2011, 10:12 PM
"iPhone 5, now with Predator mode"

NXTMIKE
May 22, 2011, 10:18 PM
I receive the fake Adobe CS5 email in my mailbox on a biweekly basis almost.

no joke.

Lord Appleseed
May 22, 2011, 10:27 PM
"iPhone 5, now with Predator mode"

Gosh, will it turn invisible? :eek:

:rolleyes:

ten-oak-druid
May 22, 2011, 11:34 PM
Gosh, will it turn invisible? :eek:

:rolleyes:

Only Wonder Woman has an invisible iphone. It goes with her plane.

SockRolid
May 23, 2011, 03:45 AM
"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
- Dad - Nuke-'em' Commercial, "Robocop" (1987)

nwassault
May 23, 2011, 08:36 AM
As for the apple email, OS X's mail app highlights mail from Apple in blue as a default rule. Are these emails activating that rule and highlighting it blue?

No, the email is being sent from live.com addresses and is not being faked to make it look like it's from Apple, so the Mail rule isn't being activated. Gmail let the Adobe one slip through to my account and my bs detector went off, so I switched to my desktop and opened Mail. Mail, unlike Gmail, correctly marked it as spam.

Fukui
May 23, 2011, 08:41 AM

Wow, I was totally tricked by that one. I usually ignore those mails from apple anyways so didn’t click it, but that was at all out real looking.!Bizarre

Adam-
May 23, 2011, 08:43 AM
I love how amazing this is! its transparent, but you can't see the big 5 or apple logo when looking from the front! now thats thinking outside the box...so i ordered a boxfull of them

Steve121178
May 23, 2011, 09:32 AM

I doubt my "reputation" in tech or as a Mac user is something I'd bother caring about.

That's because you haven't got one.

jonnysods
May 23, 2011, 02:43 PM
All the boasting about no viruses would catch up with us sooner or later...

Major drag.

fpnc
May 23, 2011, 03:12 PM
Got the one about the special on Adobe Creative Suite. Looks pretty convincing except that the from field says "Apple." (note the ending period) and the links all point to odd places, some are edu and others from windowslive. Looks like it was re-directed several times, maybe in order to try and hide the true origin.

As far as I can recall, this is one of the first phishing attacks that I've received (other than the oh-so-obvious Nigerian prince forms).

programmasters
May 23, 2011, 07:23 PM
actually, it's quite easy, if it's to good to be true, it probably isn't true

caspersoong
May 27, 2011, 07:41 AM
Yep. The lousy design is the main factor I won't be tricked.