Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Image-6A7AF08C89DB11D9.jpg

With keeping your computer equipment clean.

I got a tongue lashing from the signifigant other the other night because once a month I haul all of my gear out to the living room, open up the G4, blow the dust out, wipe everything I own with iKlear....

So tell us - is your Mac a filthy mess, or do you take care of it like a fine car?

Pictures of dust encrusted cases are encouraged. :D

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Thanks. :D

I'm just sure I can't be the only one that cleans up their stuff every now and then.

I have a bet on this. Help me win!

But I still want to see filthy dust rhinos, too. :eek:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
iGary said:
Thanks. :D

I'm just sure I can't be the only one that cleans up their stuff every now and then.

I have a bet on this. Help me win!

But I still want to see filthy dust rhinos, too. :eek:

oh i agree, i take my powerbook and wipe it down every two-three weeks if not more, and i have taken apart my keyboard before to clean it

but not only do i keep my computer clean, i am a total neat freak and must have everything in order

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Sorry, can't join in on that. In 23 + years of having computers at home, I've never really gone that crazy cleaning things.

Clean is fine, but I don't think I've ever had a machine quite that dusty inside that I would blow it out...vacuum yes, blow no.

My machines are clean enough but my desks aren't. I rarely remove the equipment. Even at work, we rarely moved the equipment to clean.

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
I can't even see my desk...lol... It's so irritating- I wish I could have an office that looks like that... It's just not in me-

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
I dust it off and blow out the keyboard with an air hose occasionally, but I don't understand the need to wipe everything down with iKlear. My screen stays clean because I never touch it, but I do blow the dust off of it once in awhile. Certainly no need to open anything up.

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
I dust it off and blow out the keyboard with an air hose occasionally, but I don't understand the need to wipe everything down with iKlear. My screen stays clean because I never touch it, but I do blow the dust off of it once in awhile. Certainly no need to open anything up.

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Are these the kind of computer you want? It's funny that none are Macs. ;)

Edit: I'm not the hippie, nor do I know him. :)

Attachments

• computer.jpg
    computer.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 76
  • cd_cleaning.jpg
    cd_cleaning.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 142

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
I am so OCD about keeping my desk clean that it isn't even funny...

Wipe down everything in sight 1 or 2 times a month, including my soon to be PB...:D

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
sjpetry said:
Are these the kind of computer you want? It's funny that none are Macs. ;)
Wow, and you're 25 years younger than me (I think). Love Himi Hendrix (saw him in concert). You might want to consider a T-shirt (joke, haha... OK?). That's about the way my shxt looks, between cleaning up (about every 6 months or so). It's a cycle, for me.

shumster

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2001
I once worked in a company that allowed smoking before and after office hourse and during lunchtime.

They had just experienced a break-in, where all the RAM was stolen from the computers (Macs BTW, 6100 and 7100s), so they had bought steel enclosures for all them. So didn't help with the circulation.

Some keyboards were so filthy, you could not see the keys - I think everyone assumed that the keys had just worn out and said nothing, until I organised a cleaning company to clean the computers - the cleaning company ran out of cleaning fluid by 10:30am and had to come in for another 2 full days to get rid of the gunge that had accumulated on the computers. The Macs at that time were a kind of beige (if I recall correctly - 1996), but the ones in our office were a deep shade of grey.

"Wow, my keyboard actually has letters on it" was a common exclamation that week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.