PDA

View Full Version : Apple to Introduce a Curved-Glass iPhone 5?

MacRumors
May 23, 2011, 12:09 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/23/apple-to-introduce-curved-glass-iphone-5/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/iphone51.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/iphone51.jpg)
Digitimes reports (http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110523PD205.html) that according to industry sources, Apple is planning to adopt a "curved cover glass" for its next generation iPhone.Cover glass makers are reluctant to commit investment to the purchase of glass cutting equipment due to the high capital involved, said the sources.According to those same sources, Apple has purchased 200-300 glass cutting machines to be used by glass makers. There has been no timetable yet for the volume production of iPhone 5 as Apple is currently still working with related suppliers including those involved in cover glass, glass cutting, lamination and touch sensors to improve yield rates, the sources commented.It's hard to say what type of design a "curved cover glass" iPhone would adopt. It would also fly against recent claims (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/13/iphone-4s-coming-in-september-with-sprint-and-t-mobile-support/) and beliefs that the iPhone 5 will adopt a generally similar-to the iPhone 4 form factor but with only minor modifications.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/curved.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/curved.jpg)
Apple has previously used curved glass in the previous generation iPod Nano. Image above from DailyMail.co.uk (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1054144/First-review-new-iPod-Nano-Shake-shuffle-ready-roll.html).

The Samsung Nexus S uses a concave curved screen. The reasoning (http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/16/rumors-samsung-nexus-s-using-fancy-curved-display-sprint-had-to/) behind the move was for comfort:

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/big-3-500x243.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/big-3.jpg) Well, our tipster tells us Samsung's been shopping this curved display technology to carriers for a while -- as early as CES at the beginning of this year behind closed doors -- claiming that its research showed such a design improved perceived usability over a perfectly flat display.

Article Link: Apple to Introduce a Curved-Glass iPhone 5? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/23/apple-to-introduce-curved-glass-iphone-5/)

Obese Lobsters
May 23, 2011, 12:13 AM
Are we to expect a nexus s shape with iphone 4 metal antenna wrapped around, because that would be interesting.

Žalgiris
May 23, 2011, 12:14 AM
Curved? I'm not following.

adversus
May 23, 2011, 12:16 AM
What?

The iPhone 4 already has curved glass. Or are we talking a non-flat surface? My brain just exploded.

42streetsdown
May 23, 2011, 12:17 AM
like the tapered edges of the iPod touch but in glass? :confused:

kjs862
May 23, 2011, 12:18 AM
Sounds interesting, mockups anyone?

Icaras
May 23, 2011, 12:18 AM
back to old school tube television!!

boss.king
May 23, 2011, 12:20 AM
From my understanding this will be like the Nexus S, where the display has a slight concave. Anyone with Nexus S experience? What's it like?

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Or if I believe it.

Plasmastrike
May 23, 2011, 12:20 AM
I'm thinking an iPhone with the same design fundamentals of the iPad 2 (curved body, similar buttons).

At least it's pleasant to think about:)

Firestrife
May 23, 2011, 12:21 AM
sounds like it's gonna look nice. mock ups needed.

LouieSamman
May 23, 2011, 12:21 AM
like the tapered edges of the iPod touch but in glass? :confused:

Thats what it sounds like.

Im guessing it's going to look like the iPad 2 but in glass.
So it will be flat on the back and it curves at the edges so it won't feel so thick.

3goldens
May 23, 2011, 12:22 AM
GREAT!
First its glass, now its curved glass.
What I am sure of is that it will be a beautiful design and certainly drive all the case manufacturers CRAZY!

LondonCentral
I'm guessing the back will be curved like a pebble to better fit the contours of your hand. This already sounds above and beyond anything competitors have come close to, design-wise.

What would be clever is if they had a luminated, frosted 3D Apple logo etched into the glass back with a laser. :cool:

Feynman
Let's see a mockup! :eek: :rolleyes:

LondonCentral
May 23, 2011, 12:24 AM
"...hold on guys....we've got...one more thing....

....introducing....the iPhone Curve..."
:p

saxofunk
May 23, 2011, 12:24 AM
yeah, cuz curved glass will make it break less often. oh and easy to fix. file under: (sarcasm)

hankolerd
May 23, 2011, 12:27 AM
I am guessing curved like the 4th gen ipod nano. I don't really expect Apple to do something like that, but then again they continue to surprise me with each new product release/upgrade. :apple:

arn
May 23, 2011, 12:27 AM
google search found this old mockup

Kwill
May 23, 2011, 12:28 AM
In other words, there's a new rumor to support the FACT that no one has a clue what the next iPhone will look like.

alexhasfun28
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

purchasing machines that curve the glass? then how the hell do they make Magic Mouse glass?

Simgar988
Thisis going to be miles ahead of anything else out there. I can picture it perfectly.

locust76
May 23, 2011, 12:29 AM
Curved glass? That's so un-Apple!

neven
May 23, 2011, 12:29 AM
purchasing machines that curve the glass? then how the hell do they make Magic Mouse glass?

The Magic Mouse surface is quite clearly plastic, not glass :)

wordoflife
May 23, 2011, 12:30 AM
That's cool. I wonder if it will be more prone to breaking from a drop.

Žalgiris
May 23, 2011, 12:30 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's plastic.

e-coli
May 23, 2011, 12:38 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

In other words, there's a new rumor to support the FACT that no one has a clue what the next iPhone will look like.

Maybe you missed the name of the site in the masthead, upper left.

Kwill
May 23, 2011, 12:41 AM
Most Apple obsessions are evident in either its architecture (http://bit.ly/lNAurd) or music products:

Thin
Cube
Glass

This means the next iPhone will likely be designed as a clear sugar cube no bigger than the eraser on a pencil. In fact, we will simply pop them under our tongues for pitch-perfect acoustics and 3D vision.

SilianRail
May 23, 2011, 12:43 AM
http://www.traderscity.com/board/userpix42/12217-glass-bongs-smoking-bong-water-3.jpg

You really have to question where they come up with idiotic ideas like this... ;)

arn
May 23, 2011, 12:43 AM
so, iPod Nano had a curved glass screen

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/curved.jpg

RonHC
May 23, 2011, 12:49 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Curved as in iPhone 3G/3GS curve???

Reach9

Completely agree.

There have been too many bogus rumors going around. I think Apple did it proper this time, almost nothing significant has been leaked.

Or maybe we should wait for August for the good information?

ChazUK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; Nexus S Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

From my understanding this will be like the Nexus S, where the display has a slight concave. Anyone with Nexus S experience? What's it like?

The curved screen on my Nexus is alright. When laying flat you can notice the slight curve but face on you can't notice so it doesn't affect face on viewing at all.

I couldn't really say how much it helps with glare and such but it is quite a comfortable phone to talk on when beside your ear.

It'll be good to see what Apple would impliment if this is true. The wait is still on.....

dontmatter
May 23, 2011, 12:50 AM
Don't know what it'll be (obviously), but pumped. Why?

This is classic apple, and classically Apple at its best. Whether it's the use of small hard drives for the original iPod (or flash for subsequent ones), multi-touch, proximity sensors, and motion detection for the iPhone, or single-piece casing for the macbook, Apple likes to push non-mainstream technologies when it can use that technology to change the kind of experience a user has.

That is, apple doesn't push the megapixel count in cameras, or the hard drive size in laptops, because those give you a marginally better experience of the same kind, if they are noticed at all. Apple is usually behind the bleeding edge with such questions of specs. But when they can change a trackpad into a tool more useful than a mouse, when they can provide a laptop that feels full-fledged in a package that seems too light to be real (macbook air), or when they can get battery life that lets people forget about the battery, they push the bleeding edge as few have the muscle or will to do.

Curved glass isn't faster or statistically better. It's difference is in kind, not degree. To me, this indicates that Apple will do something unique and something disproportionately better. It's probably not revolutionary, but is more like the mag-safe power connector - only a power cord, but an improvement in experience far larger than you thought something as simple as a power cord could provide.

AlphaDogg
May 23, 2011, 12:51 AM

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/curved.jpg)

It was most certainly plastic.

dontmatter
May 23, 2011, 12:56 AM
yeah, cuz curved glass will make it break less often. oh and easy to fix. file under: (sarcasm)

Not sure about how it works on a concave structure, but actually, a curve ought to be stronger. See the roman invention of arches and the eggshell as examples.

arn
May 23, 2011, 12:59 AM
It was most certainly plastic.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-iPod-Nano-5th-Generation-Glass-Panel/3128/1
Replace the curved glass screen to make your iPod Nano look like new again.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1054144/First-review-new-iPod-Nano-Shake-shuffle-ready-roll.html

Every edge is curved, even down to the glass covering the screen. It's also incredibly light.

daabido
May 23, 2011, 01:00 AM
What I really find amazing is that in the last dozen years of following rumours to do with Apple, people fall into the same trap over and over and over again.

What trap? That even Apple can turn on a dime, design wise. A new Apple hire in a particular area? Great, there's new product being announced next week. A new rumour about curved glass? Great, the iPhone 5 will have curved glass.

The iPhone 5 has been set in steel or aluminium for quite a while now. It will be evolutionary, not revolutionary and should come out about September.

Do you really, really think that Apple has gone and brought hundreds of glass cutting machines that companies wouldn't invest in themselves probably because they've go no idea about yield quantities and all sorts of potential problems that might arise and all of that is magically going to coalesce by September?

If the rumour is true, it is no doubt to do with the iPhone 6, or whatever the next generation of iPhone is called after the yet to be released new model.

Geting industrial design right takes time. Ever notice how Johnny Ive speaks really slowly? That's because he takes the time to design things beautifully, not to be sweating on whether unknown glass cutting manufacturers can magically get their yields right in time for a launch less than four months away.

intelliot
May 23, 2011, 01:09 AM
Doesn't the Palm Pre use curved-glass?

boss.king
May 23, 2011, 01:09 AM
The iPhone 5 has been set in steel or aluminium for quite a while now. It will be evolutionary, not revolutionary and should come out about September.

That's quite an assumption to make, considering no one really knows anything. Also, it depends on what your definition of revolutionary.

sk58781111
May 23, 2011, 01:12 AM
if iphone 5 is not lte with 4.3" screen, i'm buying a samsung galaxy s2 ;)

AppleScruff1
May 23, 2011, 01:32 AM
They should think outside of the box and blow everyones minds by making the iPhone 5 round, like a ball. And out of rubber so if you drop it it won't break, it bounces back up so you can catch it.

Piggie
May 23, 2011, 01:34 AM
Probably some mistranslation due to a bad phone line.

I'm guessing the lawns have been getting a bit long around Apple's HQ and in an attempt to keep things nice and tidy in the future, they have just ordered a load of "Grass cutting machines" and they made sure they ordered the type that can go round curved lawn edges :D

JoEw
May 23, 2011, 01:38 AM
Is it bad I'm more excited about the iPhone 6 then the iPhone 5?
I see curved glass mixed with metal alloy with lte on iphone 6.
For iphone 5 I see a better camera and an A5 processor. Not to exciting :rolleyes:

siurpeeman
May 23, 2011, 01:44 AM
Doesn't the Palm Pre use curved-glass?

palm pre did not have glass.

tullys
May 23, 2011, 01:45 AM
UK readers will realise the end of the world has arrived when MacRumors is attributing images to the Daily Mail.

Nuff Said.;)

skier777
May 23, 2011, 01:52 AM
What trap? That even Apple can turn on a dime, design wise. A new Apple hire in a particular area? Great, there's new product being announced next week. A new rumour about curved glass? Great, the iPhone 5 will have curved glass.

You are right to an extent, but the white glass of the iphone4 threw a curveball. I think apple, just like every other company, releases unfinished products all the time. Im not sure we always notice, but it happens and i think that sometimes there are silly ideas that get rapidly developed into new products.

I agree that apple couldn't design and produce a phone between june and september. But saying that they take their merry time to develop new things wouldn't be giving them credit for the speed at which they roll out new products.

Deflorator
May 23, 2011, 01:53 AM
You know what? Curved glass with lower middle part and higher edges means less scrathes on the display.

Mr. Gates
May 23, 2011, 01:57 AM
2 generations away most likely

Tronic
May 23, 2011, 02:06 AM
Please say no; I keep glass side towards my leg when in my pocket. Curved glass would just make my pockets bulge more.

Padraig
May 23, 2011, 02:13 AM
You know what? Curved glass with lower middle part and higher edges means less scrathes on the display.

HTC Sensation also uses tapered glass edges to protect the display.

ArchaicRevival
May 23, 2011, 02:35 AM

Okay :)

More iPhones for me :)

LightSpeed1
May 23, 2011, 02:43 AM

This looks ridiculous.

SeaChange
May 23, 2011, 02:44 AM
Blah. This is newsworthy?

frogcat
May 23, 2011, 02:45 AM
I have the nexus s 4g and the curved glass doesn't really offer much, but doesn't really detract either.

Smooth glass on your face feels nicer when it's curved for sure, but it's hard to really tell unless you're laying down with the phone.

bboucher790
May 23, 2011, 02:45 AM

The only thing I've concluded is that it will not be called the 4s. Calling it the 4s makes as much sense as Stevie Wonder picking out Elton John's wardrobe.

sunspot42
May 23, 2011, 02:46 AM

The iPhone 4S will come out in September, featuring an identical or nearly-identical case, along with the new A5 processor as found in the iPad 2, and possibly more RAM and more (optional) Flash memory than are found in the current iPhone 4. It'll probably be a universal phone, which for U.S. customers means the same phone will work on either Verizon or AT&T (and, likely, T-Mobile and Sprint as well).

The iPhone 5 will come out next summer, and Jobs only knows what that'll look like and what features it'll sport, though 4G capabilities are a good guess. There might also be a stripped version that sports less Flash RAM, depending on whatever cloud service Apple brings online for additional storage.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of docking station become available too, one that allows it to be used as a full-fledged little PC when connected to a keyboard and monitor. Coupled with a stripped version of the iPhone 5 it could function as Apple's entry into the low-end computer market, and would instantly make them a viable mass-market player in much of Asia and Latin America.

lilljimi
May 23, 2011, 02:51 AM
Probably some mistranslation due to a bad phone line.

I'm guessing the lawns have been getting a bit long around Apple's HQ and in an attempt to keep things nice and tidy in the future, they have just ordered a load of "Grass cutting machines" and they made sure they ordered the type that can go round curved lawn edges :D

it is easy to curve glass you slump it in a carbon mold in a kiln ....

google it look up slumping glass ... you can make all sorts of things with some heat and some glass

they used to and still do make sheet glass by blowing a big cylinder of glass and cutting it and then you put it in a kiln and let gravity and heat flatten it out in to a sheet ....

rickdollar
May 23, 2011, 03:01 AM
Oh, thank God for the new curved glass!
My iPhone 4 is absolutely painful to have against my cheek and it will be so much better seeing photos and video curving at the edges.
THAT WILL BE SO COOL!!

wackymacky
May 23, 2011, 03:04 AM
Gee, how long did it take apple to get the colour right for the white iPhone? Now they are going to experiment with glass blowing techniques to curve the glass?

Let's just leave it the r&d boys to play around with for the iPhone 7, Steve, and just release a phone this year that fast, and reliable and a good iOS.

cleric
May 23, 2011, 03:21 AM
Unless they are returning to the curved back but keeping the glass from the iPhone 4. I'm not convinced that curving the front glass makes that much sense.

achtung!
May 23, 2011, 03:30 AM
i am excited to see that curved glass, 'cause that's one of the main reasons i bought the ipod nano a couple years ago. maybe it could take the bricky/bulky look and feel from the iphone 4. finally so i can buy one ;)

JesterJJZ
May 23, 2011, 03:31 AM

As opposed to a brick you hold against your face? Phone handsets have been curved for decades for a reason.

Cod3rror
May 23, 2011, 03:41 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Really would not want it.

lostngone
May 23, 2011, 03:41 AM

Yes you are so right, Apple will never do anything with curved glass!

ratzzo
May 23, 2011, 03:46 AM
So as long as it doesn't feel awkward

baryon
May 23, 2011, 03:52 AM
If it's curved inwards (concave) it would protect the screen more, but if it's curved outwards (convex) it would make it more fragile. The iPod Nano's screen was curved outwards, but it was much smaller. I'm curious of what it would look like!

dethmaShine
May 23, 2011, 03:57 AM
Thanks arn. Finally understood what as curved class is.

Looking at my 5th-gen iPod nano. I really like it; especially the design. It is by far the best iPad nano, Apple's ever made.

A slim iPhone with a curved glass screen would be exciting.

It reminds me of one of those fancy looking gadgets, action movies stars used to held.
The curve really impresses me.

I WANT.

Skika
May 23, 2011, 04:00 AM
Only if its a curved glass back, otherwise don not want.

MrWillie
May 23, 2011, 04:06 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Curved as in iPhone 3G/3GS curve???

No, curved as in the Nexus S curve.

The only thing I've concluded is that it will not be called the 4s. Calling it the 4s makes as much sense as Stevie Wonder picking out Elton John's wardrobe.

Hmm, seen some of the outfits he used to wear ?

mojohanna
May 23, 2011, 04:08 AM
What I really find amazing is that in the last dozen years of following rumours to do with Apple, people fall into the same trap over and over and over again.

Do you really, really think that Apple has gone and brought hundreds of glass cutting machines that companies wouldn't invest in themselves probably because they've go no idea about yield quantities and all sorts of potential problems that might arise and all of that is magically going to coalesce by September?

If the rumour is true, it is no doubt to do with the iPhone 6, or whatever the next generation of iPhone is called after the yet to be released new model.

Geting industrial design right takes time. Ever notice how Johnny Ive speaks really slowly? That's because he takes the time to design things beautifully, not to be sweating on whether unknown glass cutting manufacturers can magically get their yields right in time for a launch less than four months away.

They invested in similar sorts of tooling for the unibody macbooks. No one was using them and I seem to recall that the time it took to machine one body was quite long. I see no reason why they would not pull something like this. Additionally, I think the announcement now is just timing. Apple could have been prototyping these machines for some time know and have perfected things for the release. Since nothing of any note has been leaking out, its possible that we could see something completely new.

maxap
May 23, 2011, 04:19 AM
I hope Apple will stick with the iPhone 4 design, which I simply love. That curved glass makes the phone look weird and girly... I hope this is just a rumor...

littyboy
May 23, 2011, 04:23 AM
Samsung better get on the sue-ing train, since apple likes to sue everyone who resembles what they make...

koobcamuk
May 23, 2011, 04:27 AM

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/curved.jpg)

Daily mail picture? What on earth?

mrelwood
May 23, 2011, 04:34 AM
I think you are getting the curve wrong.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/1300/iphone5curved.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/iphone5curved.jpg/)

Dbrown
May 23, 2011, 04:37 AM
Nexus S was the first with a curved screen. Now apple is copying it. Google should take apple to court. ;)

mdriftmeyer
May 23, 2011, 04:51 AM

Curved glass will distribute force more evenly across the arc'd surface.

talkingfuture
May 23, 2011, 04:55 AM
I always thought the iPhone would look great with a curved profile like the old Nano's. So I hope that is what they are going for.

DonRivella
May 23, 2011, 04:56 AM
I am really curious. I think the iPhone 4 looks great, but is not overly pleasant to hold/use. I hope Apple can improve on this while maintaining a nice design. Just don't go the curved iPod nano route - I have one and it's ugly ;)

rerelease
May 23, 2011, 05:00 AM

I think you'll find that a newer, better flavour of Android is already out by the time the iPhone 5 launches. Just get the S2 now and save the hassle.

SeaFox
May 23, 2011, 05:27 AM
Cover glass makers are reluctant to commit investment to the purchase of glass cutting equipment due to the high capital involved, said the sources.
I can see this. Investing in new equipment certainly wont help their business grow by, say, allowing them to get big production contracts for popular devices like the iPhone. :rolleyes:

Lesser Evets
May 23, 2011, 05:32 AM
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=286457&d=1306128473

Good. Now It will wrap around my hip flask so no one will mistake me for an iPhone user.

weckart
May 23, 2011, 05:36 AM
Depends if the curve is concave or convex - convex like the nano is a no-no. Old style monitors had those and apart from image distortion they increased the incidence of glare. Small wonder you had to pay a premium for flat screen CRT monitors back in the day.

xlii
May 23, 2011, 05:50 AM
Curved? I'm not following.

Curved or Warped?

ranReloaded
May 23, 2011, 05:53 AM
Introducing the iPhone 5G... The G is for "Galaxy" :D

Popeye206
May 23, 2011, 06:15 AM
I dont see it... Seems like it would work better as a phone, but worse for everything else. Plus the pocket feel would be bulky. Very unApple like.

propynyl
May 23, 2011, 06:24 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is the longest I feel like we've had to wait for something new. These rumors are out there.

LewisHughes
May 23, 2011, 06:26 AM
I'd like to say that most people, when the iPhone 4's design was leaked, did not like the concept. However, most people I know today either have one or love it or want one. Apple does not aim for the market of today because by time they create the product the markets wants are different, they know what we will want (or try to the best of their ability) so don't decided if you like the idea now because who knows, it might just be another 'grow to love it' phone.

silversin
May 23, 2011, 06:34 AM

True :D

Glideslope
May 23, 2011, 06:50 AM

The "S" felt very natural in my hand. Definitely notice the slight "concave" shape. Does it feel "better"? Too subjective IMO. Was it something I could really like? Yes.

The problem is the OS. :apple:

jouster
May 23, 2011, 06:50 AM
GREAT!
What I am sure of is that it will be a beautiful design and certainly drive all the case manufacturers CRAZY!

This always gets posted whenever a case redesign is proposed. Apple doesn't care about case manufacturers. In fact case manufacturers are fine with this: they don't want previous cases to be reusable for obvious reasons.

Glideslope
May 23, 2011, 06:51 AM

Buy your Samsung now. :apple:

Glideslope
May 23, 2011, 06:53 AM
The iPhone 4S will come out in September, featuring an identical or nearly-identical case, along with the new A5 processor as found in the iPad 2, and possibly more RAM and more (optional) Flash memory than are found in the current iPhone 4. It'll probably be a universal phone, which for U.S. customers means the same phone will work on either Verizon or AT&T (and, likely, T-Mobile and Sprint as well).

The iPhone 5 will come out next summer, and Jobs only knows what that'll look like and what features it'll sport, though 4G capabilities are a good guess. There might also be a stripped version that sports less Flash RAM, depending on whatever cloud service Apple brings online for additional storage.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of docking station become available too, one that allows it to be used as a full-fledged little PC when connected to a keyboard and monitor. Coupled with a stripped version of the iPhone 5 it could function as Apple's entry into the low-end computer market, and would instantly make them a viable mass-market player in much of Asia and Latin America.

It's what it is made of that will be the big deal next year. :cool:

apolloa
May 23, 2011, 07:08 AM
I'll go on the record and state this rumour is total BS, it's been made up by Apple to throw the media of track.

KnightWRX
May 23, 2011, 07:28 AM
Nexus S was the first with a curved screen. Now apple is copying it. Google should take apple to court. ;)

What does Google have to do with that ? Samsung should simply file a counter-claim in the lawsuit Apple launched against them for "copying iPhone". That would quite ironic.

"But look your honor, Apple copied our design themselves ! Pot meet kettle much ? Case dismissed".

ciTiger
May 23, 2011, 07:31 AM
In the next iPhone?
I find this a little hard to believe unless it comes later than September...

ten-oak-druid
May 23, 2011, 07:32 AM
LOL

People once argued about the world like they do the next iphone:

"It's flat!"
"It's curved!"

Meanwhile Mac sales (http://allthingsd.com/20110523/mac-sales-outpace-industry/?mod=googlenews) are continuing to do well in part due to iOS devices:

...March marked the 20th consecutive quarter that Mac shipment growth exceeded that of the PC market.

Mac shipments grew 27.7 percent in March, a period that saw a 1.2 percent decline in total PC shipments, according to IDC data reported by Needham analyst Charlie Wolf. And that growth occurred in every single major regional market.

In Europe, Mac sales were up 10 percent year-over-year, while the PC market was down 17.5 percent; in Asia they were up 69.4 percent, while the PC market was up just 8.8 percent. And in Japan, Macs were up 21.1 percent in a PC market that declined 16.1 percent. ...

So what’s the engine of all this growth–aside, of course, from the Mac itself?

Apple’s iOS devices and its carefully cultivated retail presence.

“The key drivers of the growth in Mac shipments over the past five years have been the halo effects emanating from the iPod and iPhone,” Wolf says. “The Apple Stores have played an important supporting role in providing convenient destinations and support resources for Windows users new to the Mac.”

toddybody
May 23, 2011, 07:33 AM
IF it's true, I'm sure its going to be a gorgeous device....though I'm still curious what a curved display would contribute

Shabach!
May 23, 2011, 07:49 AM
The Dell Venue Pro and Dell Venue have a curved/domed shaped gorilla glass panel on those devices. Those devices are 4 inches, but the viewing angles seem to be pretty good.

SeniorGato1
May 23, 2011, 07:49 AM
I loved the feeling of the nexus s. It felt far more natural and I didn't have the strain scrolling with thumb.

kenypowa
May 23, 2011, 07:52 AM
I loved the feeling of the nexus s. It felt far more natural and I didn't have the strain scrolling with thumb.

So you are implying that Apple is copying Samsung and Sony Ericsson? ;)

tigress666
May 23, 2011, 07:55 AM
Ok, don't like the idea of a curved back. I have had both the 3G and the 4 and while I was skeptical about liking a flat back like the 4 cause of hand feel when using as a phone, I noticed that the fact it stayed flat on the table when using on a table made a bigger difference than how it felt in the hand and htat it was nice that it didn't rock on a table. So I'll take a flat back thank you.

As for it having a curved front, some one pointed out for the idea of one that curves out like the 5th gen ipod, there's a reason people paid more back in the days of CRT monitors to have a *flat panel* (for one no image distortion). Dunno if there are bad reasons for it curving in (probably still distorts image).

So, besides aesthetics, is there an actual *practical* reason for wanting a curved glass in the front? I still don't understand the point of the Samsung's and why it's all that big a deal.

KnightWRX
May 23, 2011, 07:56 AM
So you are implying that Apple is copying Samsung and Sony Ericsson? ;)

Well I sure hope if this rumor is true no one will try to claim Apple made curved glass phones first ;)

Though I'm sure Steve will say "We were first to ship a curved glass phone in volumes!"

macintel4me
May 23, 2011, 07:59 AM
I have had a Samsung Nexus S for about 5 months and until I read this article I had no idea that this device had "curved glass". Learn something new everyday. :)

igazza
May 23, 2011, 08:09 AM
to many rumors

Mr. Gates
May 23, 2011, 08:16 AM
What if it's for the back?

McGiord
May 23, 2011, 08:25 AM
Curved glass will distribute force more evenly across the arc'd surface.

Any exposed area that will be in contact with potential impacts will make the glass prone to breakage. Apple engineers know what they are doing and how to protect the risk areas of the glass panels they use in their products.

Unless this display curved design adds something to the game, like allowing 3D without glasses to be a real joy, I do not like it.

I do prefer the flatness of the screens: TV, Mac, iPhone, iPad (even it has crappy resolution).

What else could this bring to the 'magical' :apple: experience?

That is also what I initially thought, and one post by Arn makes it clear that the rumor applies for the front panel: display.

steadysignal
May 23, 2011, 08:28 AM
GREAT!

maybe its all a scam to support after market repairs?

KnightWRX
May 23, 2011, 08:30 AM
Unless this display curved design adds something to the game, like allowing 3D without glasses to be a real joy, I do not like it.

What else could this bring to the 'magical' :apple: experience?

It's supposedly about making the phone more comfortable to hold up to your ear. You know, that functionality no one uses anymore ? :rolleyes:

newdeal
May 23, 2011, 08:34 AM
The curvd glass on the nexus s makes no differance whatsoever. I dont give a **** what it looks like just give me a big screen, slim and light phone, long battery life and indestructable materials. I dont care if its pretty

McGiord
May 23, 2011, 08:35 AM
As per Google's website on the Android contour display:
The curvature will help them make the glass panel thinner (something that :apple: loves to do).
And reduce the glare when outdoors.
There might be some more things about it...

eh270
May 23, 2011, 08:41 AM
Maybe it will be transparent, too!

http://cl.ly/0U3D2a1V2v1z272S1R1P/fake-5-cjr.jpg

SeniorGato1
May 23, 2011, 08:45 AM
maybe its all a scam to support after market repairs?

That would apply to the current iPhone 4 with the addition of a glass back.

ten-oak-druid
May 23, 2011, 08:48 AM
Well I sure hope if this rumor is true no one will try to claim Apple made curved glass phones first ;)

Though I'm sure Steve will say "We were first to ship a curved glass phone in volumes!"

If Apple embraces the idea they will ship in volumes while the competition waits it out to see how Apple does. And of course people will be here mocking the "volume" argument when anyone gives Apple credit if it is a success and other companies follow.

You could hold this conversation about tablets for instance. " Apple didn't make them first." "Apple is trying to spin it that they shipped in volumes." blah blah blah. They did bring the tablet into being a large market as they did the smart phone. And arguing that the risk Apple took in shipping large volumes first and taking a chance on a new market is trivial may seem logical to you but it really isn't.

xxBURT0Nxx
May 23, 2011, 08:52 AM
hopefully it will be curved ala Nexus S, and not like the last gen nano as some rumor sites are suggesting. I think it would be really ugly with a convex screen as opposed to concave, it will also seem to be much more prone to breaking if dropped.

curved back sounds interesting, would certainly allow them to have the phone "appear" thinner, while cramming more junk inside which is always good!

Hopefully we will get a slightly larger "edge to edge" screen, I think that would be a better feature than curved glass!

Reason077
May 23, 2011, 09:04 AM
I think you'll find that a newer, better flavour of Android is already out by the time the iPhone 5 launches. Just get the S2 now and save the hassle.

Good luck upgrading your S2 to Android 4.0 (or whatever) though. If Samsung's past performance is anything to go by, they'll promise it for a few months after the initial Android release, then the release date will keep slipping, and finally they'll release a rather buggy and unpolished update.

Of course, long before the Android update for the S2 comes along, there'll be a shiny new S4 phone out that runs the new OS perfectly!

May 23, 2011, 09:08 AM
As per Google's website on the Android contour display:
The curvature will help them make the glass panel thinner (something that :apple: loves to do).
And reduce the glare when outdoors.
There might be some more things about it...

Good point about reflectivity. Angle of incidence equals angle of reflection... A while ago a concept designer friend of mine (Andy Probert, who worked on the original Battlestar Galactica, Back to the Future and other productions during the 80's) said he would love to see a curved slider. I don't think Apple will go for the slider part, but he'll be intrigued to see the curve if they do it.

bigandtasty
May 23, 2011, 09:20 AM
back to old school tube television!!

iPhone 5 will utilize CRT technology

Thunderhawks
May 23, 2011, 09:23 AM

they made it thinner too:-)

Thunderhawks
May 23, 2011, 09:26 AM
to many rumors

to come?

KnightWRX
May 23, 2011, 09:36 AM
If Apple embraces the idea they will ship in volumes while the competition has been shipping for months.

Fixed that there for you.

Obviously, Apple is right to sue big bad Samsung for copying their "design" (which is quite arguable seeing how a few cherry picked pictures don't tell the whole story) yet Apple copying Samsung just means they "made it better" right ?

Seriously, the lack of objectiveness in some of you is quite astounding.

bdkennedy1
May 23, 2011, 09:42 AM
I absolutely 100% don't believe this rumor. Swiping in a straight line would be impossible. Can you imagine playing Fruit Ninja with a curved screen?

ten-oak-druid
May 23, 2011, 09:44 AM
Fixed that there for you.

Obviously, Apple is right to sue big bad Samsung for copying their "design" (which is quite arguable seeing how a few cherry picked pictures don't tell the whole story) yet Apple copying Samsung just means they "made it better" right ?

Seriously, the lack of objectiveness in some of you is quite astounding.

Give me a break.

Samsung blatantly copied the ipad. Get over it. At least the xoom has some unique features.

Anyway we get it. You don't respect Apple. Anything more to add? Because I seriously doubt your little rants on this forum are convincing anyone to see your point of view. It is sort of sad to see you trying to spin everything against apple. I get the feeling this really bothers you.

xxBURT0Nxx
May 23, 2011, 09:44 AM
I absolutely 100% don't believe this rumor. Swiping in a straight line would be impossible. Can you imagine playing Fruit Ninja with a curved screen?
impossible? it's not going to be greatly curved, it will be something ala nexus S, which people are using just fine not having problems swiping straight lines or playing games on...

Give me a break.

Samsung blatantly copied the ipad. Get over it. At least the xoom has some unique features.

so if they copied the iPad, how can you not say apple using a curved display is copying the nexus s??

And i don't get all of this "copy" hoopla... can't really make a tablet look drastically different, it's a freaking screen with a bezel and a few buttons for volume and power and a headphone jack for goodness sakes...

johndallas999
May 23, 2011, 09:45 AM
Curved glass seems like a step backwards. What would the point of this be other than a potentially cool looking device?

mlts22
May 23, 2011, 09:45 AM
I wonder if Apple is working on curved glass for a more utilitarian reason:

The HTC Inspire 4G has an 8MP camera. To fit that in a relatively slim phone, it required curving the phone around the camera's lens and body, which is the thickest part of the device.

I wonder if Apple is looking at similar, so the next iPhone could sport a higher res camera, but without making the whole phone thicker in general.

Jacquear
May 23, 2011, 09:47 AM

Ohhhh I know that fake but damn! I quite like that

SeattleMoose
May 23, 2011, 09:59 AM
When they gutted Nano I forgot the Nano also lost that nice curved form factor, felt really nice in the hand.....it was a beautiful design and a highly functional device.

By contrast, the new Nano is a joke.

Noodlefarmer
May 23, 2011, 09:59 AM
I love how people are saying I won't get it if it has this or doesn't have that, when you all know you will buy it. And like it.

mdesbiens
May 23, 2011, 10:01 AM
Just observe these three points from the article:

Point 1
Glass makers can't currently make curved glass.
This makes a lot of sense. Lenses, for example, don't actually exist.

Point 2
Curved glass making machines are available, but glass makers don't want them. This must be bad news for the company that makes the glass curving machines... because if glass makers don't want them, it would be a tough sell on an industry that doesn't cut glass.
...Actually that doesn't appear the be correct as Apple bought them all.

Point 3
There are at least two similar devices that have curved glass screens.
Unfortunately Apple can't afford to let those manufacturers make the iPhone 5's screen, as it would be cheaper to buy factories and give them away to the manufactures that Apple will pay oil tankers full of money to make glass screens.

This seems like a planted story, but if there is any truth to this, I'm betting on curved glass sides. This seems harder to manufacture, harder for a mall kiosk to replace for $50, and would resolve an iPhone 4 design issue. Perhaps a wrap around glass face that covered the front top and sides like a case... maybe with a concave screen also.

shartypants
May 23, 2011, 10:10 AM
Why do I want a curved glass phone?

pubwvj
May 23, 2011, 10:18 AM
I don't see the point of these glass cases. They are having lots of trouble with them. The metal cases are more durable and reliable. Carbon composite would be a good choice.

KnightWRX
May 23, 2011, 10:24 AM
Anyway we get it. You don't respect Apple.

No, you don't get it, that's the point. I respect Apple when they do good moves or release good products. I don't respect them when they spew bullcrap on the industry. That's called being objective and having critical thought.

Of course, you just see the negative because it's easier to paint me as a "hater and troll" than it is to actually try to argue an objective and factual point when you have none like in this case.

And I surely don't respect people who cheer Apple for doing something yet get mad when another vendor does the exact same thing. I highly value consistency in one's comments towards the industry. Favoring a player and giving them "carte blanche" because they happen to have a fruit for a logo is not consistent. It's borderline religious.

And i don't get all of this "copy" hoopla... can't really make a tablet look drastically different, it's a freaking screen with a bezel and a few buttons for volume and power and a headphone jack for goodness sakes...

Not to mention the Galaxy tabs don't look anything like iPad. About the only valid point in Apple's case is the Galaxy S i9000 (international model) and then, only from a specific angle with a specific UI feature displayed (app drawer).

Of course leave it to the druid to be too stuck in his forest to see it for the trees. We've pretty destroyed all the "photo evidence" that made Apple's case "rock solid". It's not pretty much in the hands of the judge as the case isn't quite as clear cut as some media outlets make it seem.

Anyway, moot point, if this rumor is true and Apple does go for the same curvature that the Nexus S has, Mr. Droid and his acolytes will cheer Apple on all the same and won't give a 2nd thought at calling Samsung a bunch of copycats.

appleguy123
May 23, 2011, 10:30 AM
Isn't it more likely that this is for the back of the phone, to address the complaints people had about the ergonomics of the iPhone 4 compared to 3g/3gS?

Starbuckfsd
May 23, 2011, 10:37 AM
No way in h*ll this will happen...they did the curved screen, got rid of it...pretty sure the latest iPad Nano isn't curved....this is nothing but another craptastic rumor that'll never see the light of day. Why even bother reporting on this trash?

AppleScruff1
May 23, 2011, 10:37 AM
No, you don't get it, that's the point. I respect Apple when they do good moves or release good products. I don't respect them when they spew bullcrap on the industry. That's called being objective and having critical thought.

Of course, you just see the negative because it's easier to paint me as a "hater and troll" than it is to actually try to argue an objective and factual point when you have none like in this case.

And I surely don't respect people who cheer Apple for doing something yet get mad when another vendor does the exact same thing. I highly value consistency in one's comments towards the industry. Favoring a player and giving them "carte blanche" because they happen to have a fruit for a logo is not consistent. It's borderline religious.

Not to mention the Galaxy tabs don't look anything like iPad. About the only valid point in Apple's case is the Galaxy S i9000 (international model) and then, only from a specific angle with a specific UI feature displayed (app drawer).

Of course leave it to the druid to be too stuck in his forest to see it for the trees. We've pretty destroyed all the "photo evidence" that made Apple's case "rock solid". It's not pretty much in the hands of the judge as the case isn't quite as clear cut as some media outlets make it seem.

Anyway, moot point, if this rumor is true and Apple does go for the same curvature that the Nexus S has, Mr. Droid and his acolytes will cheer Apple on all the same and won't give a 2nd thought at calling Samsung a bunch of copycats.

Well said. We could use more objectivity and reality here.

xxBURT0Nxx
May 23, 2011, 10:40 AM
No way in h*ll this will happen...they did the curved screen, got rid of it...pretty sure the latest iPad Nano isn't curved....this is nothing but another craptastic rumor that'll never see the light of day. Why even bother reporting on this trash?
how do you know it won't happen? If apple purchased 200-300 machines to cut the glass what do you think they are going to use them for? I know not all rumors pan out, but you think a macrumors site is going to not post this article?

Thunderhawks
May 23, 2011, 10:40 AM
Why do I want a curved glass phone?

To stay ahead of the smart phone development curve?

vartanarsen
May 23, 2011, 10:48 AM
isnt curved a step backwards?
Curved glass TV tubes evolved into flat panel tvs, did they not?

Pink∆Floyd
May 23, 2011, 10:49 AM
I just hope Apple finds a way to incorporate LiquidMetal into the next iPhone! :)

xxBURT0Nxx
May 23, 2011, 10:49 AM
isnt curved a step backwards?
Curved glass TV tubes evolved into flat panel tvs, did they not?
ask nexus s owners... i have heard nothing but good things about the screen. certainly nobody complaining about its curved nature.

abhimat.gautam
May 23, 2011, 11:03 AM
“Because Samsung is always copying us, why don’t we copy them and see how they like it?” :D

rmwebs
May 23, 2011, 11:11 AM

So was the use of Aluminium, and glossy screens for that matter. Designs change. We've come from the white plastic, to the black glass...perfectly reasonable to assume Apple are working on the next design iterations.

DavisEngeler
May 23, 2011, 11:12 AM
I had a Nexus S for a while, and didn't have any complaints about its slightly curved screen. It generally felt more comfortable on your face when you were talking on the phone, but it didn't make or break the phone. I personally think what apple has done/may be doing with glass cases is beautiful, but for most people it's not the best. Glass breaks, period. I've dropped my iPhone 4 many times over the last year and don't even have a scratch. My mom, however, dropped her iPhone 4 and cracked the entire case within the first month. It happens all the time. I think it'd be a good idea to move away from the glass for durability.

No one can deny it's beauty, though.

dolph0291
May 23, 2011, 11:16 AM
Will someone then please start the rumor that the iPhone 5 case will be 100% made of glass, even the home button, with the antenna embedded just under the surface. I like that rumor better.

sevimli
May 23, 2011, 11:17 AM
I just hope Apple finds a way to incorporate LiquidMetal into the next iPhone! :)

Then what?

BlindMellon
May 23, 2011, 11:18 AM

The only thing stupider than making the back out of glass would be making a curved back out of glass. Get off the glass back kick, it was an idiotic idea and will die with this generation of iPhone.

scoobydoo99
May 23, 2011, 11:21 AM
I'm guessing the back will be curved like a pebble to better fit the contours of your hand. This already sounds above and beyond anything competitors have come close to, design-wise.

god. no. WHY do people keep saying this?! You NEVER hold an iPhone such that the back could "fit the contours of your hand"!!! Imagine how that would look! People with their palms smashed up against their iPhone, fingers extended in every direction, but not actually grasping the phone. iPhones are held by their SIDES with FINGERS, that's why the flat sides of the Iphone 4 make it easier to hold than any previous iPhone.

42streetsdown
May 23, 2011, 11:22 AM

Ah this makes more sense than what i was thinking

May 23, 2011, 11:25 AM

Why? Sure, sounds good to say it is made out of liquid metal, but besides from that? What would be the advantage for you?

McGiord
May 23, 2011, 11:33 AM
Good point about reflectivity. Angle of incidence equals angle of reflection... A while ago a concept designer friend of mine (Andy Probert, who worked on the original Battlestar Galactica, Back to the Future and other productions during the 80's) said he would love to see a curved slider. I don't think Apple will go for the slider part, but he'll be intrigued to see the curve if they do it.

What do you mean by curved slider?

maclaptop
May 23, 2011, 11:42 AM
Sounds interesting, mockups anyone?

Is This A Copy?

I've had my Samsung Nexus S Android phone with Its curved glass display for months.

Its a terrific smartphone.

Looks like Apple likes it, and may copy it.

http://blogs.forbes.com/marcbabej/2011/05/23/will-iphone-5-have-a-curved-glass-screen/

juicedropsdeuce
May 23, 2011, 11:50 AM
What?

The iPhone 4 already has curved glass. Or are we talking a non-flat surface? My brain just exploded.

OMG. You have -25 votes. That's a record. And your quote wasn't even fanboyish. Impressive. :cool:

McGiord
May 23, 2011, 12:00 PM
Glass slicing machines? Am I missing something here? Cutting the glass to desired shape and grinding the edges is something, but slicing it? This sound like BS.

JarScott
May 23, 2011, 12:01 PM
I really don't think the iPhone 5 will vary in shape to the iPhone 4. Apple may have a one year refresh, but to change the design after one year, is silly. I believe it will be called the iPhone 4S and will just have minor changes to the iPhone 4. I also believe Apple will release the iPhone 5 a year after that and the iPhone 5 will include a slightly altered shape. :apple:

KnightWRX
May 23, 2011, 12:03 PM
I really don't think the iPhone 5 will vary in shape to the iPhone 4. Apple may have a one year refresh, but to change the design after one year, is silly. I believe it will be called the iPhone 4S and will just have minor changes to the iPhone 4. I also believe Apple will release the iPhone 5 a year after that and the iPhone 5 will include a slightly altered shape. :apple:

Why would they call the 6th iPhone the iPhone 5 ?

Doesn't make sense really. And the iPhone 3GS was a big update to the iPhone 3G. Worlds apart. Just because the outward look was the same doesn't mean the update wasn't major.

A lot of you guys put too much importance on esthetic and looks.

maclaptop
May 23, 2011, 12:22 PM
This just demonstrates that Apple is deeply conflicted, they don't know what to do with their uncertainty and anger.

One minute they sue Samsung, the next they admire and copy them. Poor Apple.

In public they act bold and confident. In private they cower with uncertainty.

In public they make billions, but it cannot bring them peace and true confidence.

It can't prevent their paranoid attitude, or the grip of fear. Perched precariously at the top, they are in fear of losing it.

It would be great to see them return to the "Apple Computer Days". The place in time where they made great products, didn't sue anyone, weren't paranoid or angry, and did the right thing.

When the attention was on their great products, not Steve the cult leader, marketing mastermind, and God to his followers.

Today you pay a premium to adopt the lifestyle, drink the Kool Aid, and kneel down to worship.

Apple? What a company.

Ya Gotta Laugh :)

Rodimus Prime
May 23, 2011, 12:25 PM
Glass slicing machines? Am I missing something here? Cutting the glass to desired shape and grinding the edges is something, but slicing it? This sound like BS.

Umm not hard to do and is done all the time. Grinding it one way but another is you can slice it in the shape you want the polish/grind it the rest of the way.

Bertmg
May 23, 2011, 12:28 PM
If it's true, it is an smart move. A curved screen can add viewing/touch area surface to any the device and yet maintain its compact form factor in other words, compared side by side, two devices may have the same width and length (and appear or be same thickness) and yet the one with the curved screen would display a noticeable larger image, which is one of the downfalls of small compact devices.

If done right, making sure that there is none or unnoticeable image distortion, a curved screen adds viewing angle to the screen and can also add a hair of unnoticeable thickness to a device, just enough to fit more hardware inside.:D

McGiord
May 23, 2011, 01:06 PM
Umm not hard to do and is done all the time. Grinding it one way but another is you can slice it in the shape you want the polish/grind it the rest of the way.

I believe the glass already have the desired thickness and it is not sliced to get the thickness. They cut them with robots or some cutting machines to get it to the desired size (width and length), then the edges are ground to the desired profile all around it.
The curvature can be given either by sag/gravity bend over rollers, press bend, or air pressure over, and then the strengthening operation, and finally they are laminated (glued).

I mean slicing it: is not efficient for time, cost, and quality.

What do you mean by slicing?

Eso
May 23, 2011, 01:07 PM
I'll tell you one thing - it's not taking them 15 months to put an A5 in the iPhone 4, that's for sure.

mcdj
May 23, 2011, 01:09 PM

right, because the curved glass nano never happened.

PowerGamerX
May 23, 2011, 01:19 PM

The Dell Venue has a convex screen and it's unbelievably smooth and comfortable.

ScottishDuck
May 23, 2011, 01:51 PM
Apple don't make a habit of copying their competition, even when the competition is doing things right. Unfortunately.

ten-oak-druid
May 23, 2011, 02:21 PM
I can't see Apple doing this really.

Anyway, over the next few years E-ink will start to take over the portable market and we might see a curved surface then. It will be cheaper.

Anyway if Apple does do it and it is a hit you know the competition will follow with similar models. Apple is always taking the big chances for the industry as a whole.

Performa
May 23, 2011, 02:43 PM
I've seen enough iPhones with shattered glass from dropping them already. A case that rises up slightly at the edges prevents the glass from hitting the ground, but if the glass were curved, even a case around the edge wouldn't prevent the glass from hitting the ground.

jonnysods
May 23, 2011, 02:47 PM
Cool. I'm ready to upgrade from the 4 already. I'm also ready for massive shortages and hysteria about not meeting demand!

DocNYz
May 23, 2011, 03:05 PM
I love the vintage Rolex in the picture.

Scuby
May 23, 2011, 03:51 PM
Point 1
Glass makers can't currently make curved glass.
This makes a lot of sense. Lenses, for example, don't actually exist.

In fairness, it's very expensive and time consuming to make any lenses which aren't spherical sections - that's why you only get one or two aspherical elements in even the top-end lenses. Making them in the volumes required for iPhones, which sell orders of magnitude more than any other phone from any other manufacturer (member that the curved-glass Samsung phone, for example, is just one of their many models) would be an absolutely huge undertaking.

David

surfkw
May 23, 2011, 04:10 PM
GREAT!

Or keep all the case manufacturers in business

Certinfy
May 23, 2011, 04:17 PM
All I want is a curved glass back like the SE Xperia Arc has! :D

tigress666
May 23, 2011, 07:04 PM
You know I've seen several people ask but no one actually directly answer the question.

What is the *practical* advantage of a curved screen. The most answer I saw was that people liked their Samsung phone. But I want to know why? What advantage specifically does it give you? I'm not interested in answers like it looks cool or something really subjective like that. I want to know what functionality does it add?

I'm just curious cause I see so many people excited about the idea and I don't understand why it's so exciting (I didn't understand why Samsung was all excited about offering a curved screen either. THe ads I saw never seemed to explain any advantages, just that it had one and I should be excited about that).

McGiord
May 23, 2011, 07:36 PM
You know I've seen several people ask but no one actually directly answer the question.

What is the *practical* advantage of a curved screen. The most answer I saw was that people liked their Samsung phone. But I want to know why? What advantage specifically does it give you? I'm not interested in answers like it looks cool or something really subjective like that. I want to know what functionality does it add?

I'm just curious cause I see so many people excited about the idea and I don't understand why it's so exciting (I didn't understand why Samsung was all excited about offering a curved screen either. THe ads I saw never seemed to explain any advantages, just that it had one and I should be excited about that).
And some have not fully read the different posts...

tigress666
May 23, 2011, 08:00 PM
And some have not fully read the different posts...

Ah, ok, still not excited. Nothing on there that is specific to the curve of the glass and not the display quality says to me this is something to care about one way or the other (unless it's going to ruin some other function like if they curve the back to match it will be annoying to use that phone on a flat surface. Some of us actually use our smartphones as something other than phone and sometimes it's nice to be able to put it down and use it, after all if we just wanted a phone we'd just buy a cheaper non smart phone).

I mean some of it is nice (Sure, less glare is nice but honestly, I just am not annoyed by glare that much. In fact, I prefer my MBP's glossy screen cause the colors look better and glare just doesn't annoy me all that much, I'm pretty good at tuning it out).

HMFIC03
May 23, 2011, 08:27 PM
If it's true, it is an smart move. A curved screen can add viewing/touch area surface to any the device and yet maintain its compact form factor in other words, compared side by side, two devices may have the same width and length (and appear or be same thickness) and yet the one with the curved screen would display a noticeable larger image, which is one of the downfalls of small compact devices.

If done right, making sure that there is none or unnoticeable image distortion, a curved screen adds viewing angle to the screen and can also add a hair of unnoticeable thickness to a device, just enough to fit more hardware inside.:D

Interesting - thanks for sharing

powers74
May 23, 2011, 08:50 PM

He does.

jroller
May 23, 2011, 09:07 PM
Love it...

maclaptop
May 23, 2011, 11:01 PM
I love how people are saying I won't get it if it has this or doesn't have that, when you all know you will buy it. And like it.
So true, even if it one doesn't want it, the fanboys will hunt you down and force you to ha..ha..ha, you WILL BUY IT OR ELSE :)

tonytiger13
May 24, 2011, 12:00 AM

I haven't read through every page, so maybe someone already said this. About the idea that the curved glass can't be for the next iPhone. Well, it's possible that Apple has been testing curved glass for awhile now with prototypes. The fact that they bought so many specialized glass cutters and are giving them to the factories already makes me believe they are close to starting production. Who'd invest that much money in manufacturing hardware without plans to use it soon? It may not be for the iPhone, could be a range of their products. I will admit that if they have been testing curved glass iPhones, I'm surprised that this is the 1st rumor about it.

Mountain Man
May 24, 2011, 12:18 AM
Ever seen the nice highlights that will be unavoidably present on a curved piece of glass. Unless they use a matte finish (which will reduce resolution), this will be a verrry bad thing. (IMHO)

mizzytheboy
May 24, 2011, 08:01 AM
I do not believe in this rumor

ped
May 24, 2011, 09:46 AM
Curved glass is one thing, but a curved SCREEN sounds like they're going OLED, as it's the only screen technology that I know of that can be made curved or flexible.

KnightWRX
May 24, 2011, 10:59 AM
Ever seen the nice highlights that will be unavoidably present on a curved piece of glass. Unless they use a matte finish (which will reduce resolution), this will be a verrry bad thing. (IMHO)

It's curved the other way, and on the Nexus S, this is touted as reducing glare and highlights.

ped
May 25, 2011, 01:44 PM
Apple COO (interim CEO) in talks with Samsung regarding using SAMOLED screens in next iPad.

http://my.news.yahoo.com/apple-samsung-talks-over-displays-ipad-3-104003917.html

This also would imply that the delay for the iPhone 5 was to allow it to use OLED as well (since if Apple can make money on a 10" iPad OLED device they certainly can on the smaller iPhone).

xxBURT0Nxx
May 25, 2011, 01:56 PM
ironic how they are suing each other, helping each other, doing business with each other, and thinking about doing MORE business with each other lol

maclaptop
May 25, 2011, 02:15 PM
After reading another thread about what people want on their next iPhone, it's interesting how randomly Apple makes decisions.

First priority in every case is aesthetics.

True functionality is spread out over years as Apple teases with what they know users want, but keep them waiting.

An example of this blatant disregard is the lack of fundamentals like cut & paste absent from the first gen iPhone. Based on this practice, the full development of the iPhone will drag on for years.

Copying Samsungs curved glass like my Nexus S has, is a typical move to take the easy way and use another manufacturers excellent idea. Going back to Apples formative period they stole many ideas then claimed they invented things like the mouse, the GUI, etc.

I give Apple a lot of credit for what they've gotten away with. Even better is their ability to play cloak & dagger games, conning those around them so effectively. It's the best "Magic Show" in town. :)

caspersoong
May 27, 2011, 07:46 AM
I...think that this will blow the design I have been waiting for...

jmiddel
May 27, 2011, 02:51 PM
I don't agree that Apple stole anything. Jobs is an intuitive genius, in that he can see people tinkering with really innovative stuff, like the GUI and mouse, and hatch a vision which is so far beyond that of anyone else that we now have computers that my 83 year mom in law can use. Take the smartphone, yes Blackberrys were around, and Treos, but not until the iPhone did they become useful to anyone who was not a business person. And now everyone is imitating it. The Kindle was around before the iPad, the former is awful, I just unloaded mine, the latter is amazing, and also being frantically imitated by lesser minds.

It is also true that Apple moves at a very staid pace. Everyone is churning out the newest Droid with amazing cameras, screens etc. And that does make me a tad envious. Here I am waiting to finally get an iPhone ever since the Verizon deal, but have to wait 'til September to get the new version. The only reason I put up with this, is that the Apple experience simply eclipses the others, IMO.

AnthonyHarris
Aug 5, 2011, 05:55 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

You make it sound like the next revision of Apple products are left to the last few months before release. The iPhone 4 was probably on the drawing board years before its arrival, and it's likely that the iPhone 3G/3GS and the original iPhone were also on paper long before we had any idea rumors of such a thing. So it's quite possible that ideas, techniques and manufacturing processes have been tried and tested for the iPhone 5.

gkarris
Aug 5, 2011, 04:25 PM

Actually, like this:

http://www.toxel.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/iphoneconcept.jpg

from a fun iPhone Concept page... ;)

http://www.toxel.com/inspiration/2009/02/15/10-beautiful-apple-iphone-concepts/

slimswannie
Aug 5, 2011, 04:36 PM
Do we really think this will actually happen?!

vitzr
Aug 5, 2011, 05:24 PM
If yes, I hope they do it soon. That way they can work out the bugs so if they decide to repeat and use it on the iP6, it will be sufficiently durable. Between the normal bugs to be sorted out of Lion and what appears could be the short product cycle of the iP5, it's a great time to wait.

Sit back, relax, enjoy what we have now, and then go for the next generation which stands a better chance of being well sorted out.

There are times when a wait and see approach saves one a lot of time, frustration and money. Especially since the new Apple gear I have now is doing so well.

roow110
Aug 12, 2011, 02:10 AM
Could it be that Apple has purchased these 200-300 glass curving machines, not for the production of a curved glass iPhone, but rather for the construction of their new curved glass spaceship headquarters in Cupertino? Or can the machines not be used for that purpose?

Hungryjoe9
Aug 12, 2011, 01:11 PM
What are the major differences to i-phone 5 that people are looking forward to?

Apple...
Aug 12, 2011, 01:49 PM
Could it be that Apple has purchased these 200-300 glass curving machines, not for the production of a curved glass iPhone, but rather for the construction of their new curved glass spaceship headquarters in Cupertino? Or can the machines not be used for that purpose?
Good observation. You never know. :cool: