PDA

View Full Version : iBook HardDrive Upgrades

eleveneastgate
Mar 16, 2005, 07:41 PM
Hi All!

Can you put a 80G or 100G HD in a (early 2004) iBook G4 1.07? The biggest one available then was a 60G. This company called MCE say they can put 80 & 100G HD into G4 iBooks. More info here (http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=IBOOKSLDVDR8DL-A&Category_Code=STORDVDRW)

Would it be worth it, or am I asking to much from the iB?

Thanks in advance!

Macmaniac
Mar 16, 2005, 07:43 PM
Theres no problem putting a larger drive in the iBook, the computer should handle the 100gb fine. MCE seems like your best bet that way you don't lose your warranty.

eleveneastgate
Mar 16, 2005, 07:45 PM
Theres no problem putting a larger drive in the iBook, the computer should handle the 100gb fine. MCE seems like your best bet that way you don't lose your warranty.

Thanks for the info Macmaniac... it's greatly appreciated! :D

spaceballl
Mar 17, 2005, 01:24 AM
I upgrade my old iBook w/ a 7200 rpm 60gb drive. You can put any size drive in there as long as it is 2.5" laptop drive. Search this topic there was a huge thread about it before.
-Kevin

Hydra
Mar 17, 2005, 02:07 AM
Yep, I originally ordered my iBook with the standard 30GB drive as I thought I'll just buy a big 2.5" HD later on and change it myself.

But now I've already made up my mind that I'll get a PowerBook at some point so I'm not gonna do anything to this machine.

And at the same time I'm pissed that I didn't take the 60GB drive option Apple offered, this 30GB is so small. I do have a 200GB External FireWire Seagate Barracuda but I'd like to have a bigger internal drive as well. :(

sandman42
Mar 17, 2005, 07:55 AM
More info here (http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=IBOOKSLDVDR8DL-A&Category_Code=STORDVDRW)

From that web page it looks like they may only do the HD upgrade if you buy the Superdrive upgrade first. I looked on their HD upgrade page, but they seem to only offer HDs for Powerbooks there. Did you find somewhere where they'll upgrade just the HD in your iBook?