PDA

View Full Version : Mac Audio...

vouder17
Mar 16, 2005, 08:01 PM
Ok is it just me or do macs have terrible audio options compared to PC's. i really want to use my Line in as a Line out so that i can use it as a head phone jack while the other jack gets used as the master. i know on PC's all i need to do is change some seettings and then i can do that. Is there anyway that this can be done or do i need to spend more $$$ on an external USB device.

Peace
DjVoTeZ

CanadaRAM
Mar 16, 2005, 08:28 PM
Radioshack $4.99 "Y" splitter for the Audio Out jack?

Whether a PC's Line In can work as a line out depends entirely on the design of the video card in that particular PC.

vouder17
Mar 17, 2005, 06:03 AM
Radioshack $4.99 "Y" splitter for the Audio Out jack?

Whether a PC's Line In can work as a line out depends entirely on the design of the video card in that particular PC.

Yeah but then the audio gets played as mono. Cos i have set on my mac that the left speaker is the headphone jack and the right speaker the Master. There is no other way to do this...that i know of.

True, but most PC's that i have worked on do have the option, and with a PC you can install a PCI card. That is a bit tough with an iMac.

garybUK
Mar 17, 2005, 06:21 AM
Errrrr dont know what sort of splitter your using but you can get a STEREO splitter that will send both L + R to both jacks. This will sort this out.

The only PC soundcards that can change the Line In to a Line Out is the cheap nasty so called 5.1 surround cards with only the 3 connectors, in which case the line in will be the Rear L/R and you will loose the Line In functionality.

stevep
Mar 17, 2005, 06:29 AM
Try:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/
...a whole range of solutions. I've got an iMic which I use for playing iTunes through my hifi, and recording from vinyl to convert to mp3 and it works well. No personal experience of the other audio products they do, but all the Griffin stuff I've seen is good quality.

vouder17
Mar 17, 2005, 06:37 AM
Errrrr dont know what sort of splitter your using but you can get a STEREO splitter that will send both L + R to both jacks. This will sort this out.

The only PC soundcards that can change the Line In to a Line Out is the cheap nasty so called 5.1 surround cards with only the 3 connectors, in which case the line in will be the Rear L/R and you will loose the Line In functionality.

Yes...i know most splitters have an output of stereo...but if the signal going in to the splitter is mono then the output will also be Mono...no matter what the type of splitter you have.

vouder17
Mar 17, 2005, 06:40 AM
Try:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/
...a whole range of solutions. I've got an iMic which I use for playing iTunes through my hifi, and recording from vinyl to convert to mp3 and it works well. No personal experience of the other audio products they do, but all the Griffin stuff I've seen is good quality.

thanks...do u know if you can use the iMic to send two output signals. Does it have have one jack that does only headphones and another, that only does line out.

stevep
Mar 17, 2005, 07:20 AM
The iMic has 3 connections - the usb connecting cable, a 3mm jack socket to connect to an output (hifi, speakers etc) and a 3mm jack socket to connect an input device eg microphone etc, for recording.

Have a look at the Griffin website for technical details - its not just a few sokets soldered together, but contains a-d and d-a circuitry and samples at 24bit.

I think it costs around 40 us$, which seems to translate to 35 in the UK :(