PDA

View Full Version : Pismo screen problems...need advice.

blackfox
Mar 16, 2005, 08:57 PM
I woke up this morning to the following situation:

A little preface:
Among other things, I have a pismo hooked up to an external monitor on a small desk. It has been set up in monitor-spanning mode with the external monitor set at 1284x968 (or somesuch).

So this morning, I woke up for work and noticed my Pismo screen is dark and my menubar has moved up to the external screen. I think "that's wierd" and hit "detect displays". Both screens flicker, and the menu bar reverts back to the pismo screen, which unfortunately, remains black.

I restart, and the pismo screen jumps to life with the grey apple startup screen, but after about five seconds, goes back to black. I try this with and w/o my external monitor attached. For those familiar with pismo design, the little power indicator below the hinge is also not lit-up, although I admit it has been so long since I paid attention to it, it might have always been that way.

So what gives? Diagnoses? I am not sure what to do at this point...so any suggestions would be appreciated. I love my pismo and have put a lot of money into upgrading it (new HD, max RAM, cpu upgrade), so I would hate to give up on it. OTOH, if it proves to be an expensive problem I will probably just buy a replacement computer, as I was planning on buying one this year anyways.

In that latter vein (replacement), what would you all recommend for around $1000 or less (of Apple models). I do primarily PS, surfing, and web-design stuff on the pismo and I also have a PM (a 733). I would use a computer about 70% at home 30% portable if I had the choice. I am thinking about iBooks, iMacs, macminis and used PBs and/or used machines of other types. Advice would be appreciated.

One last thing. I am working on a web site redesign for a client, due in a couple of weeks, and am loking for the easiest way to get my pertinent files off my pismo. So if anyone knows how to configure the external screen as the main screen using a blackened-screen for navigation, I would appreciate it, or would I be better off putting my pismo in target-disk-mode and hooking it up to my PM?

Sorry for long post...I appreciate any help you can give. Also, if Tiger ends up being released on April 15th, is there a grandfather-clause for those who buy machines a couple weeks prior? As I cannot wait till April 15th for this purchase (probably).

Thanks

Mechcozmo
Mar 16, 2005, 09:54 PM
One last thing. I am working on a web site redesign for a client, due in a couple of weeks, and am loking for the easiest way to get my pertinent files off my pismo. So if anyone knows how to configure the external screen as the main screen using a blackened-screen for navigation, I would appreciate it, or would I be better off putting my pismo in target-disk-mode and hooking it up to my PM?

Sorry for long post...I appreciate any help you can give. Also, if Tiger ends up being released on April 15th, is there a grandfather-clause for those who buy machines a couple weeks prior? As I cannot wait till April 15th for this purchase (probably).

Is there a function key to go between spanned and mirrored modes? Try F7. That's what my 12" PowerBook has marked down as the external monitor thingamajig.

And Apple usually does have a policy like you mentioned but its for computers bought the day of it was released. Or something like that. Not 2-weeks-before-you-heard-a-rumor-so-got-a-computer-to-get-Tiger-free-or-cheap.

blackfox
Mar 17, 2005, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the tip regarding function keys, mechcozmo. I actually solved that problem by just closing the lid on the PB, but that is good for future reference.

I have no problem buying Tiger later, and realize the April 15th date for it's release was just a rumor, I was just curious about Apple policy in such regards.

Does anyone have an idea of what might have happened, however? I would very much appreciate guesses/diagnoses of the fate of my screen.

Thanks.