PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 leopard install issues?

StUPoT
May 23, 2011, 08:48 AM
I have recently got my hands on a iMac G5 ambiant light sensor that has Tiger on it but I want to install Leopard.

However, when I try to install Leopard it says I need to reformat my drive to 'GUID PARTITION' but I understand PPC macs cant boot with GUID.... but it won't let me install with 'Apple partition' which is what I need!

Can anyone help? Could the disc I have be just for Intel macs?

Please help its driving me mad

chrismacguy
May 23, 2011, 10:10 AM
I have recently got my hands on a iMac G5 ambiant light sensor that has Tiger on it but I want to install Leopard.

However, when I try to install Leopard it says I need to reformat my drive to 'GUID PARTITION' but I understand PPC macs cant boot with GUID.... but it won't let me install with 'Apple partition' which is what I need!

Can anyone help? Could the disc I have be just for Intel macs?

Please help its driving me mad

Which Leopard Disk do you have. Is it a Grey System restore disk, or the retail one with the holographic "X"?

StUPoT
May 23, 2011, 10:20 AM
Its a retail one!

Im trying to install it using a firewire cable between my intel macbook and the ppc iMac as the iMac's drive is broken.

Could this be causing an issue? I have restored a powerbook g4 using my macbook and a firewire cable to run leopard before and I thought this would be the same.... :confused:

chrismacguy
May 23, 2011, 10:24 AM
Its a retail one!

Im trying to install it using a firewire cable between my intel macbook and the ppc iMac as the iMac's drive is broken.

Could this be causing an issue? I have restored a powerbook g4 using my macbook and a firewire cable to run leopard before and I thought this would be the same.... :confused:

If your doing exactly the same as before it should be working fine. (Like you did between MacBook and iMac). (If it worked on a PowerBook G4, it should work exactly the same on the iMac G5). You have checked it is a G5 iMac and not an Intel one though right (That only applies if its the iSight Model - You may have a White Intel one, and so the installer has detected it isn't a PPC...), as if it is, it should be an identical install and shouldn't be moaning.

Hrududu
May 23, 2011, 10:51 AM
Its a retail one!

Are you target disk booting the iMac and then using the MacBook to install the OS on the HDD in the iMac? If so, thats your problem. The MacBook is wanting to install an Intel version of Mac OS.

666sheep
May 23, 2011, 02:22 PM
Do it this way:

boot MacBook with T pressed and iMac with alt (option). Choose Leo Install Disc and installer will work like it should.

StUPoT
May 23, 2011, 04:32 PM
Are you target disk booting the iMac and then using the MacBook to install the OS on the HDD in the iMac? If so, thats your problem. The MacBook is wanting to install an Intel version of Mac OS.

I cant see that being a problem though as I did the exact same thing with a Powerbook G4 and my macbook and it installed absolutely fine....

I dont really understand the other option though? Can you be more clear as to what to do?

666sheep
May 23, 2011, 05:00 PM
I dont really understand the other option though? Can you be more clear as to what to do?

In TDM use MB's optical drive as external firewire drive. Do not boot your MB off 10.5 disc but start it with "T" pressed (with 10.5 disc inside and iMac connected with FW cable).
Then boot iMac with "alt" pressed on kbd. You should see Leo Install Disc available boot source. Select it and normal OS Installer will start.