Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple4life

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
My ipod is well within the one year warranty but way over the first 90 days. My earbuds are shot and I heard about how Apple will replace them under warranty so I filled out the online form last week and received a replacement pair today.

The thing is, there is a letter inside the package that says....

"If hardware repairs were not covered under the original Apple iPod One Year Limited Warranty or an Apple 90-day Service Limited Agreeement, an Invoice Receipt detailing your repair charges will be sent within five to seven days."

So, should I open the foil package containing the earbuds or should I wait 5 to 7 days to see if I get billed? I would send them back if billed as the money would be better spents on a better pair of headphones.:rolleyes:

Anyone with experience with this? :confused:

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
You should be fine. I've had my earbuds repaired under warranty multiple times, and they've never asked for the broken ones back. As long as it didn't ask for credit card info when you places the order for the new ones, you're safe.

apple4life

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
Multiple times...

Thanks Sutekidane. And your sig shows you are definately supporting them...;)

Nice set up
:)

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I just had to call Apple to fix my broken head phones today. I have to send them the old ones back, and had to give them a credit card number in case I dont. then they will charge me.

Now Granted these were the $40 in ear head phones, NOT the ones that come with the iPod. Ill be on my thrid pair in just over a year. Both lose audio in the left ear bud. Strange :confused:

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
Koodauw said:
I just had to call Apple to fix my broken head phones today. I have to send them the old ones back, and had to give them a credit card number in case I dont. then they will charge me.

Now Granted these were the $40 in ear head phones, NOT the ones that come with the iPod. Ill be on my thrid pair in just over a year. Both lose audio in the left ear bud. Strange :confused:

ummm. weird. that's what has happened to mine too, in the left ear. I don't get it.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Koodauw said:
Damn, that's exactly what happened to mine this week. There seems to be something wrong.

Applespider

macrumors G4
It's always my right 'in-ear' one that goes.

Last time this came up, someone provided a gross but effective solution. I was frustrated on a flight where I couldn't get to a handy Apple store to replace and tried it. It does actually work.

Take off the silicone plug, wipe down the headphone, put it to your lips and suck. Make sure you have a pleasant drink. Seems to clear out any problem and they work again perfectly.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Applespider said:
Take off the silicone plug, wipe down the headphone, put it to your lips and suck. Make sure you have a pleasant drink. Seems to clear out any problem and they work again perfectly.
Errrr. I hope you don't want to make fun of us.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Koodauw said:

How are those, i was thinking of getting them, my headphone that came with my 3g are going, and was thinking of getting them. I like the white theme to match the ipod.
Off topic - remember when it was different and special to have an ipod, now EVERYONE has an ipod and it doesn't make me feel special :( It was like a special club or maybe the cult of the mac :rolleyes:

apple4life

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
I sucked on them too!

Mine was the left ear and I was using the sucking method too for about a month until it finally didn't work anymore.... :eek:

Not a month straight mind you... just once every couple of days...

:p

And how are those "in ear" ones? Worth it?

And yes I feel kinda silly sometimes with the white earbuds screaming to everyone that I have an ipod.

I even hear it is "out of fashion" to wear them. This hip culture dude said when he wants to know what people are listening to he won't ever ask people with white earbuds. He only asks people with big princess leia ones. I find that hilarious.

Lastly, I was thinking the free marketing Apple gets is one reason they are so good about replacing their headphones... just a thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.