Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
I've spent 3 hours trying to get my wife into her corporate network using the Windows remote desktop client for Mac and a Mac Citrix client to no avail. So basically I'm faced with buying a Windows license and virtualization software JUST for IE. How ridiculous. Also I've tried Winebottler and while I got IE 7 running, it doesn't support enough advanced features to work. What a ripoff. Its really a shame they quit developing IE for Mac. I'm sure a ton of people will scoff at that comment but I can't believe I'm going to probably have to spend $250 JUST for IE.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
They use a juniper device and remote back into their own desktop, not a terminal server. They've posted some instructions but neither method works. The instructions are old, perhaps for older versions of OSx and they say right on them that they don't support remote access via Mac.

Here's a thread I found while researching it but I never really got anywhere. I don't have access to the instructions right now because I deleted the PDF once I couldn't get it to work.

http://forums.juniper.net/t5/SSL-VPN/Terminal-Services-client-for-Mac/td-p/13598

reebzor

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
A lot of juniper firewall devices do not work with macs. We have a SSG-552 which I have been unsuccessful in getting to work on a mac, either with the built in VPN client or with 3rd party clients. Of course Juniper refuses to make a client for mac, so as far as mac VPN is considered, we're screwed.

If she can really justify a need for remote access, surely the company will provide her with a windows laptop that has VPN capabilities. It's a rather major security issue that this company allows people to VPN in from their personal computers... but that is an issue for their IT department to figure out.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
This is more of a convenience to her. She has a laptop as her primary machine but prefers not to bring it home so she remotes back into it. That said, that doesn't mean I can't gripe about having to spend an additional $250 to make her happy for ONE app and an internet browser at that! ;)

reebzor

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
This is more of a convenience to her. She has a laptop as her primary machine but prefers not to bring it home so she remotes back into it. That said, that doesn't mean I can't gripe about having to spend an additional $250 to make her happy for ONE app and an internet browser at that! ;)

Preaching to the choir. My work machine is a 17" Dell M6500 (weighs about 20lbs) and I am required to bring it home everyday as I am on call 24x7x365. Would love to be able to remote in from my macbookpro, but unfortunately Juniper seems unmotivated to support its clients :rolleyes:

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Yeah, see my wife is the opposite. Total convenience. She never HAS to work from home but doing some light clean-up after the kids go to bed allows her to keep up without working crazy hours in the office etc. She could bring her work machine home every night but 1) she doesn't want to and 2) she used to from time to time and amusingly had trouble connecting to the corporate network with her WORK computer.

As an IT auditor its all very amusing to me but I don't work there so I don't worry about it.

AWallen90

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
Are you able to get what you need done through Safari's IE emulator? It can emulate up to IE 8.0

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Doesn't Microsoft have a Windows 7 trial that lasts a year? I thought I read that somewhere.

I definitely understand your griping though. I went way out of my way to find IE 5 for Mac a few years ago because my corporate site only supported IE (emulation didn't work). It was a major hassle trying to even use that archaic slow browser. I then resorted to the Windows 7 beta (before it's release) but couldn't stomach paying full price for Windows just for IE. It royally sucks when there are no good solutions just because a company only wants to develop for IE. Especially when enough people request that they support Firefox and Safari, at the very least, that they specifically state that they won't.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Are you able to get what you need done through Safari's IE emulator? It can emulate up to IE 8.0

Just what I was thinking.

Safari Preferences >Advanced > Tick Show Develop Menu in Menu Bar > User Agent > Screen shot 2011-05-23 at 21.22.21.png

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Isn't that just emulating the rendering engine? The stuff she needs is going to include activeX types of things.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Isn't that just emulating the rendering engine? The stuff she needs is going to include activeX types of things.

It's not even emulating the rendering engine. In fact it's not emulating anything at all. It has absolutely no effect on the way Safari renders pages or it's capabilities. All it does is alter the name Safari returns to web servers and Javascript so as some of the dumber ways of detecting browsers think it's IE.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
how about an old POS windows box/laptop in the house that will connect, and then use the Mac RDC to control the windows box? load it up, hook it up, and then stuff it in the basement or closet or attic or ?

still get to use the Mac, old/used should be less than $200 by a lot especially if XP will still work for the requirements. easy to control/update, no conflict with software, etc. i like free, but really cheap is ok now and then...

using xp pro on a $30 dell works for me, just my 2 cents.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
You could try VirtualBox (or Parallels) and just for the heck of it try out ReactOS instead of shelling out for XP or 7.

ReactOS is a free Windows clone that can run Windows programs. I'd be curious to see if it can run exactly what you need.

http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

VirtualBox and ReactOS wouldn't cost a penny.

----

UPDATE:

Well it was a good idea, but ReactOS doesn't play nice with IE, which I would think that puts a damper on their claim it runs all Windows software.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Doesn't Microsoft have a Windows 7 trial that lasts a year? I thought I read that somewhere.

It lasts 120 days (4 x 30). But you have to run "slmgr -rearm" every 30 days to reset the count down.

-----

OEM copy of 7 + VirtualBox = $99USD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986 (64-bit)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116983 (32-bit)

http://www.virtualbox.org/

I would go with the 32bit version if your just going to run IE in VirtualBox.

Last edited:

Rlnplehshalo

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2011
Have you tried the 'Wine For Mac' emulation software? It runs windows .exe programs on your mac, if not I'd suggest giving it a go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.