PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Hits iTunes Again With $0.99 Lady Gaga Album, Qualifies for Cloud Drive Storage Upgrade

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
May 23, 2011, 10:32 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/23/amazon-hits-itunes-again-with-0-99-lady-gaga-album-qualifies-for-cloud-drive-storage-upgrade/)

Last month, Amazon rolled out a promotion highlighting 69-cent new release tracks (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/29/amazon-undercuts-itunes-with-69-cent-pricing-on-new-release-mp3s/) in its MP3 download store, an apparent effort to draw market share from Apple in the digital download market that has long been dominated by the iTunes Store. The pricing significantly undercuts Apple's own pricing, which typically comes in at $1.29 for popular new tracks.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/amazon_lady_gaga_deal_2.jpg

Amazon has made another push today with a "Daily Deal" offering the new Lady Gaga album, "Born This Way", for only $0.99 through the Amazon MP3 Store. The special price is available for today only and compares to the $11.99 price point for the standard album in the iTunes Store, where an expanded edition is also available for $15.99.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/amazon_lady_gaga_deal.jpg

Aside from Amazon's bargain basement pricing on what is expected to be a top-selling new release, the company is also using it as an opportunity to promote its new cloud-based storage service (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/29/amazon-launches-cloud-based-storage-service-and-music-player/) that will also be going up against Apple when it rolls out its own service in the near future. As noted on the Amazon MP3 Store and in promotional emails sent to some of its customers, purchase of the new Lady Gaga album, as with any other album, qualifies users for free upgrades to the 20 GB tier on Amazon Cloud Drive.

Amazon Cloud Drive offers 5 GB of storage space for free, with content purchased through the Amazon MP3 Store not counting toward that limit. The 20 GB tier is normally priced at $20 per year, but customers who purchase an album through the Amazon MP3 Store receive a free one-year upgrade to that level. Consequently, customers who do not have any interest in the Lady Gaga album may still opt to purchase the new release simply to receive the Amazon Cloud Drive storage upgrade for only 99 cents.

Article Link: Amazon Hits iTunes Again With $0.99 Lady Gaga Album, Qualifies for Cloud Drive Storage Upgrade (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/23/amazon-hits-itunes-again-with-0-99-lady-gaga-album-qualifies-for-cloud-drive-storage-upgrade/)

FriarNurgle
May 23, 2011, 10:35 AM
Rapture Survival Consolation Prize.

Epic Xbox Revie
May 23, 2011, 10:36 AM
iCloud better be amazing... :apple:

roadbloc
Sold. Nice one Amazon. I don't mind a bit of Lady GaGa.

ShiftyPig
Even if it was free, Amazon couldn't get me to take that album.

Azadre
Amazon wins.

adrian.oconnor
May 23, 2011, 10:37 AM
Nice marketing move. This is how to grow a new service and win some loyal fans. Wonder what it's costing them?

droz
May 23, 2011, 10:37 AM
Amazon is scared ****less about Apple's imminent release of iCloud. They know darn well that iCloud will blow Amazon cloud storage away so they are trying to get as many people on board as possible before the announcement. Good luck with that.

AdeFowler
May 23, 2011, 10:38 AM
£3.99 in the UK – 15 tracks. Hard to argue with really. Bought it.

So how does the pie get sliced?

rorschach
May 23, 2011, 10:39 AM
Amazon is scared ****less about Apple's imminent release of iCloud. They know darn well that iCloud will blow Amazon cloud storage away so they are trying to get as many people on board as possible before the announcement. Good luck with that.

It seems that way. Not that this isn't a good way to do it, of course. But you're right.

But I don't have any interest in either (Cloud Drive or the album) so I'll pass.

ghostface147
May 23, 2011, 10:40 AM
99 cents? Hell of a deal. iTunes? 13 bucks. I still won't get it, but good to undercut the competition like that.

Sky Blue
May 23, 2011, 10:40 AM
I'd buy music from Amazon if it was AAC or lossless. Not buying MP3.

oban14
May 23, 2011, 10:43 AM

What is there to be scared of? What are you basing this on?

sbrhwkp3
Lady Gaga is the worst "musician" alive.

I cringe at calling her a musician.

Azadre
Lady Ga Ga is the worst "musician" alive.

I'm sure you do.

smiddlehurst
May 23, 2011, 10:44 AM
£3.99 in the UK – 15 tracks. Hard to argue with really. Bought it.

So how does the pie get sliced?

See I think that's really poor, if you're going to offer a special price in one territory (where Amazon is clearly taking a big loss for promotional purposes) it should be in ALL territories.

Biscuit411
May 23, 2011, 10:46 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Doesnt it say any album is 99 cents, so if you don't want Gaga then no problem. This is a great one-time deal! Nice to see some competition for Apple. Perhaps their new pricing will be a bit more realistic. $20 for 20G - would Apple ever price storage that low? Maybe now... :-)

OllyW
May 23, 2011, 10:46 AM
See I think that's really poor, if you're going to offer a special price in one territory (where Amazon is clearly taking a big loss for promotional purposes) it should be in ALL territories.

It's not just Amazon, Apple does the same thing with the iTunes Store.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Doesnt it say any album is 99 cents, so if you don't want Gaga then no problem.

No, it's buy any album to get the free Cloud Drive upgrade.

mack pro
May 23, 2011, 10:48 AM

But itunes can

uncle.zed
I wouldn't spend even 1cent on this kind of so called "music".

Mass media promoted cr@p

ericinboston

Amazon has been PROVIDING Cloud based computing for years. How long has Apple?

richardsonrs
May 23, 2011, 10:49 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

What is there to be scared of? What are you basing this on?

Pretty sure he's basing it on Apple fanboy ignorance. Just my two cents. Nothing to be scared of. Cloud storage is cloud storage. Believe it or not, some people hate apple and wouldn't use the service whether it was free or not. Sometimes I hate coming here and reading all the ignorant drivel.

DeaconGraves
Doesnt it say any album is 99 cents, so if you don't want Gaga then no problem.

Not quite. You get the free CLoud Drive storage upgrade if you buy any album today, but Born This Way is the only album (that I know of) that's 99 cents.

Still a good deal though. Amazon tends to discount albums (though not as drastically as this) right after they're released, so just find something you've been meaning to get on iTunes and get some free online storage!

Popeye206
Seems like the Record Labels may not like this move by Amazon.... they are devaluing the market for paid downloads and I'm sure that makes them nervous.

I have to agree with the other poster... Amazon looks nervous. I'm sure they're taking a financial hit to try and capture some business.

Kaibelf

I wouldn't spend even 1cent on this kind of so called "music".

Mass media promoted cr@p

Musician, –noun
1. a person who makes music a profession, especially as a performer of music.

She writes all of her own songs. She sings live every time. She's a classically trained pianist and dancer. She endlessly tours, appears, and promotes her songs and brand. She plays instruments on stage. It's pretty safe to say that, regardless of if you buy the albums or listen to it on the radio, she's about 1000x the musician that most "artists" out there are. Who exactly do YOU listen to that you call a "musician?" :cool: That's why she made $90m last year and has fans lining up to get a photo with her (which she spend hours accommodating for people), and why you're here acting like YOU are too good for HER. Just sayin'.

kazmac
May 23, 2011, 10:51 AM
I hope this eventually knocks some sense into Apple and that whole $1.29 per popular song bit at iTunes is. It won't but...I can hope right? ;)

That's a great deal for Gaga fans. I respect her (bought the Judas video) but am not enough of a fan to jump. And I agree about mp3s. Way too compressed to even want to make the jump.

As for this cloud stuff, not interested right now. The one thing I'd like to change at iTunes is function the App store has. Being able to download and/or install the app you purchase on all the machines you own. That would be nice to do with the songs/movies/etc.

Porco
May 23, 2011, 10:52 AM
Ah-mar-rarara-ah
Ammar-doo-laa-laa
Ah-Ma-Za-za-za-ah
Amazon Hits iTunes Again

Glideslope
May 23, 2011, 10:52 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nice marketing move. This is how to grow a new service and win some loyal fans. Wonder what it's costing them?

Plenty. Once Apple inks the streaming deal with Universal it's over for the non Apple Eco System.

This type of gimmick is unsustainable for more than 6 more months tops.

Apple has too many revenu streams. It's the Ivy growing up your tree. Can't kill it without killing yourself.

Too little too late. "The Assimimilation Continues"

Popeye206
May 23, 2011, 10:53 AM

Pretty sure he's basing it on Apple fanboy ignorance. Just my two cents. Nothing to be scared of. Cloud storage is cloud storage. Believe it or not, some people hate apple and wouldn't use the service whether it was free or not. Sometimes I hate coming here and reading all the ignorant drivel.

Then why come to an Apple site that is full of us Fanboys? BTW... we're far from ignorant. Obviously, you love having your anti-Apple blinders on.

rorschach
May 23, 2011, 10:55 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Born-This-Way-digital-booklet/product-reviews/B0051QIGP4/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_pop_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

Lots of people claiming they aren't getting the whole album + other problems.

Consultant
Isn't selling products below cost in an attempt to gain market share an anti-trust situation?

canadan
So they pretty much have to nearly give the music away for free to draw people to buying on amazon then? The record companies are gonna make a fortune selling an album for 99 cents? Hmmm

xxBURT0Nxx
May 23, 2011, 10:56 AM
don't even know why people buy music on iTunes anymore... Amazon has been the way to go ever since apple decided that "top" tracks are worth $1.29....

raybo
May 23, 2011, 10:58 AM
Gaga good!

Ichneumon
May 23, 2011, 10:58 AM

I'm not a fan of her music either, but really it's not fundamentally any worse than most other modern popular music.

samcraig
May 23, 2011, 10:59 AM
No one should be excited/looking forward to/wishing for Apple to become a media monopoly.

No one.

dustinsc
even if it was free, amazon couldn't get me to take that album.

+1

4D4M
She writes all of her own songs. She sings live every time. She's a classically trained pianist and dancer. She endlessly tours, appears, and promotes her songs and brand. She plays instruments on stage. It's pretty safe to say that, regardless of if you buy the albums or listen to it on the radio, she's about 1000x the musician that most "artists" out there are. Who exactly do YOU listen to that you call a "musician?" :cool: That's why she made $90m last year and has fans lining up to get a photo with her (which she spend hours accommodating for people), and why you're here acting like YOU are too good for HER. Just sayin'.

All very fascinating, but it doesn't change the fact that her music is, at best, watered down third rate late 90s soft pop-trance. Truly dreadful.

rjohnstone
May 23, 2011, 11:00 AM
Isn't selling products below cost in an attempt to gain market share an anti-trust situation?
Not at all.
Their called loss leaders.
Every company, including Apple, does this in one fashion or another.

tripjammer
May 23, 2011, 11:01 AM
LOL! I got my $99 Lady Gaga album..

I just wish there was a Amazon Cloud app!

sbrhwkp3
I'm not a fan of her music either, but really it's not fundamentally any worse than most other modern popular music.

It's worse because it's got an act to go along with it.

I don't like any modern popular music. It's all machine processed garbage.

The real musicianship lies outside of the top 100 billboards.

VenusianSky
Geez people, Amazon is only doing the $.99 gaga album just for today. No need to spin this into some major anti-itunes campaign.

DeaconGraves
LOL! I got my $99 Lady Gaga album..

Umm... I think you overpaid. :eek:

xxBURT0Nxx
May 23, 2011, 11:02 AM
No one should be excited/looking forward to/wishing for Apple to become a media monopoly.

No one.
agreed, can't believe iTunes is the number one music retailer...

I guess its still too much for the general public to buy music from other places (amazon) and import them to iTunes, so they buy from iTunes for the convenience?

bad03xtreme
May 23, 2011, 11:03 AM

I agree 100%

RodThePlod
May 23, 2011, 11:04 AM
All very fascinating, but it doesn't change the fact that her music is, at best, watered down third rate late 90s soft pop-trance. Truly dreadful.

She's not really my 'cup of tea' but there's no denying the Lady can shift music - and all this promotion means is that she'll shift shed-loads more.

As far as us mere consumers are concerned, this move by Amazon means everyone wins ;)

RTP.

ThunderSkunk
May 23, 2011, 11:04 AM
That image just made my day!

Lady Gag vs Biker gang: Biker gang wins! Chop head off, mount on handlebars & fork as decoration. Hooray!

She may technically be a musician by definition, but like most pop "artists", after the obligatory 20-year rolling nostalgia wave, no one will refer to her and her work as "classics by the musician lady gaga", as they would anyone deserving of the title "musician". Same goes for 99.999% of the DJ's in the world.

briand05
May 23, 2011, 11:06 AM
This is a great deal on a great album.

As for the haters: I'd rather listen to this than that bland hipster bs that the internet armchair haters like. :rolleyes:

BLACKFRIDAY
May 23, 2011, 11:07 AM
I am not understanding the strategy behind such a feature in the cloud storage where you can stream tonnes of data, but ultimately, you end up stopping at 500MB/month. :(

What am I gonna do with 20GB storage of music in the cloud when I can only stream 500MB of it?

It's better I transfer 5-6 of music to my phone and then keep it on a regular sync and so on... :|.

If there needs to be a revolution in cloud storage, there's gotta be two things.

1. Unlimited Data
2. Revolutionary Cloud Capabilities.

I don't know who would do that, but I just fail to understand how people are going to benefit from something like this.

Frozone
I bought it for the 0.99$, but Amazon's service seems to have issues. Only 4 songs have downloaded. The other tracks seem to be stuck in an endless waiting period.

Got to say, if this is the norm' for Amazon's music service, I wouldn't be buying more. And by reading reviews on the site, seems many people are having issues. Looks like this might backfire on them a bit.

DeaconGraves
Geez people, Amazon is only doing the $.99 gaga album just for today. No need to spin this into some major anti-itunes campaign.

Anti-itunes or not, it's definitely an attempt at increasing Amazon's marketshare.

How many people intended to purchase this album today? Seeing as today was the release day, probably a ton. And how many of those people woke up to an e-mail in their inbox from Amazon (whether directly or forwarded from a friends) that offered the album for a buck. How many of those people then got on twitter or facebook and told all their friends? It was a great move on Amazon's part.

Amazon's goal at the moment has to be to remind the average consumer to compare prices at iTunes and Amazon before purchasing MP3s. This will go a long way towards doing that.

rorschach
May 23, 2011, 11:08 AM
This is a great deal on a great album.

As for the haters: I'd rather listen to this than that bland hipster bs that the internet armchair haters like. :rolleyes:

LOL, "bland hipster bs" is exactly what her music is. :rolleyes:

roosta
May 23, 2011, 11:09 AM
is this cloud storage limited to mp3s, or can it be used to store and share files?

Born Again
May 23, 2011, 11:09 AM
Great deal

Mp3s > aac

Only an foolish person would purchase this from iTunes now

xxBURT0Nxx
May 23, 2011, 11:10 AM
I am not understanding the strategy behind such a feature in the cloud storage where you can stream tonnes of data, but ultimately, you end up stopping at 500MB/month. :(

What am I gonna do with 20GB storage of music in the cloud when I can only stream 500MB of it?

It's better I transfer 5-6 of music to my phone and then keep it on a regular sync and so on... :|.

If there needs to be a revolution in cloud storage, there's gotta be two things.

1. Unlimited Data

I don't know who would do that, but I just fail to understand how people are going to benefit from something like this.
well wouldn't you like a selection of what music you want to listen to... upload 20gb of music and you can choose which albums you want to stream at different times without having to go back and manage your cloud selection.

Also, I don't think a 300mb song uses 300mb of data to stream. (someone correct me if i'm mistaken)

Lesser Evets
May 23, 2011, 11:12 AM
Wouldn't buy it for free.

grmatt
May 23, 2011, 11:13 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Born-This-Way-digital-booklet/product-reviews/B0051QIGP4/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_pop_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

Wow... looks to be a pretty serious issue.

This definitely seems like it was rushed. I think it lends credence to the idea that Amazon is nervous about Apple's move to the cloud. It makes me think that Apple's service must be pretty impressive, and I'm more excited now than I was before to see what they unveil.

gorgeousninja
May 23, 2011, 11:13 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Undercutting, and price wars are the best way to quickly get the worst services as no money is left to innovate, nurture, and develop.... Short-termism is not how Apple will lead.
Meanwhile, it looks like its gonna be a threeway slugfest between Apple, Google, and Amazon for control of our digital lives with Facebook trying to muscle in, and MS desperate to get back.

masterhiggins
May 23, 2011, 11:14 AM
I'd sooner make out with cactus than buy that album.

ZMacintosh
May 23, 2011, 11:14 AM
not trying to bash Amazon's great deal but if all they deliver to people is mp3s than its honestly not worth it, id rather have a lossless audio file than lossy mp3...i mean most consumers dont care to recognize the difference between lossy and lossless not that most know what that means..its a shame really but not something (mp3s, not this specific album) id purchase to put in my library.
still interesting tactics, but seems that its going to cost amazon more to do things like this since they have no viable means in that market...iTunes/Apple has a lot more pull in that area and amazon i think is just trying to throw things and hope they stick long enough to become valid,

psalazarc
May 23, 2011, 11:15 AM
Musician, –noun

+10000000.......

Paws up!

Themaeds
May 23, 2011, 11:15 AM
agreed, can't believe iTunes is the number one music retailer...

I guess its still too much for the general public to buy music from other places (amazon) and import them to iTunes, so they buy from iTunes for the convenience?

You're right...last time I checked Amazon even has a program that ports their songs to Itunes for you! Amazon is very competitive in terms of price and quality...just gotta make the leap

samcraig
May 23, 2011, 11:16 AM

This definitely seems like it was rushed. I think it lends credence to the idea that Amazon is nervous about Apple's move to the cloud. It makes me think that Apple's service must be pretty impressive, and I'm more excited now than I was before to see what they unveil.

And Apple's servers have never been crunched? I've had plenty of issues with itunes downloading material, apps and of course, updates. This is no different except this isn't an Amazon message board LOL

DeaconGraves
May 23, 2011, 11:17 AM
not trying to bash Amazon's great deal but if all they deliver to people is mp3s than its honestly not worth it, id rather have a lossless audio file than lossy mp3.
still interesting tactics, i mean most consumers dont care to recognize the difference between lossy and lossless not that most know what that means..its a shame really but not something (mp3s, not this specific album) id purchase to put in my library.

Interestingly enough, Amazon's selling the CD for 8 bucks. Still cheaper than iTunes.

WestonHarvey1
May 23, 2011, 11:17 AM

Everything you said here is true.

Also true: Her music sucks.

Surely
May 23, 2011, 11:18 AM
Umm... I think you overpaid. :eek:

IMO, paying 99¢ is also overpaying.:p

I'm buying it for my wife though......... she likes crappy music.

I'm sure I'll regret the purchase once she starts insisting on playing it.

AppleScruff1

LOL! I wouldn't take it if they paid me $13.99. Who likes Lady Gaga besides pre-pubescent's? :D

Intarweb
Musician, –noun

I can't stand any of her music but you can't deny her musical talent and her complete adoration and humble nature she has with all her fans. The hate on her is unnecessary and ignorant.

huck500
May 23, 2011, 11:19 AM
LOL, "bland hipster bs" is exactly what her music is. :rolleyes:

I'm not a fan, but I think bland, hipster bs is actually exactly what her music isn't. Hipsters tend to focus on independent music.

Here she is before she was Gaga... the second song is better. (http://youtu.be/NM51qOpwcIM)

Žalgiris
May 23, 2011, 11:20 AM
Bought it.

My condolences.

igazza
May 23, 2011, 11:20 AM
i think thats the worse album cover i've ever seen :eek:

kalex
May 23, 2011, 11:22 AM

Thats pretty normal. Every blog, discount site, macrumors, engadget and others picked it up and it spreads like wildfire. millions of people probably tried to buy it at once creating a spike. I just bought the album 5 minutes ago and have no issues whatsoever. 20GB upgrade for 99 cents, can't beat that

Žalgiris
and her complete adoration and humble nature she has with all her fans. The hate on her is unnecessary and ignorant.

You mean drug induced condition?

WestonHarvey1
I'm not a fan, but I think bland, hipster bs is actually exactly what her music isn't. Hipsters tend to focus on independent music.

Exactly. The usual criticism of hipsters is that they are hypocrites who will bail on a band that becomes too popular.

I can't imagine any of my hipster friends drawing their latest slice-of-life comic book ashcan while listening to Lady Gaga albums.

Svenissimo
Classic RIP OFF Britain... "Treasure island" call it what you will.... Not that I want her crap but UK amazon download price.... £3.99 GBP.. and no cloud service.

ZMacintosh
lol to all the artist bashing....i think the tone/tune would be different if iTunes had this album for 99¢

Intarweb
May 23, 2011, 11:23 AM
You mean drug induced condition?

Ignorance is bliss.

Daveoc64
May 23, 2011, 11:25 AM
Classic RIP OFF Britain... "Treasure island" call it what you will.... Not that I want her crap but UK amazon download price.... £3.99 GBP.. and no cloud service.

Don't see what the problem is with that. Amazon UK has a deal EVERY WEEK where one album is £3.99

This week it's "Born This Way".

Amazon UK and Amazon US are very separate.

Žalgiris
May 23, 2011, 11:26 AM
Ignorance is bliss.

No, not really. Being high and getting payed for it could be though.

richardsonrs

Then why come to an Apple site that is full of us Fanboys? BTW... we're far from ignorant. Obviously, you love having your anti-Apple blinders on.

I come here because I am interested in apple news. I am no apple hater. I'm posting from an iPhone 4. Do I think they **** roses that smell like chocolate covered strawberries? No!! But I'm no hater. I did not say everyone on here was a fanboy or ignorant. I said his comment was likely based in fanboy ignorance, which I still believe is true. Good marketing decisions don't only come from fear of almighty apple is all I'm saying. It's maybe possible that amazon simply made a good financial decision? Apple is not the only company capable of doing that.

samcraig

Yeahhhhh I'm pretty sure the tracks you buy on iTunes are lossy. I couldn't (in my cursory google search) find any support that when you buy iTunes AAC's - they're lossLESS.

How much of a difference (really) do you think you are personally hearing/not hearing between AAC and MP3 compression.

Kaibelf
May 23, 2011, 11:27 AM

You mean similar to Sly and the Family Stone? David Bowie? Madonna? Michael Jackson? George Clinton and P. Funk? KISS? Who needs that gimmicky flashy entertaining stuff in their entertainment? They should just stand there and do nothing to make it fun. Btw, I know you're upset that the Carpenters collection isn't available on the cloud right now, but seriously.....

ZZ Bottom
May 23, 2011, 11:27 AM
I wonder if the 10 year old that designed that album cover got paid for his work?

Do you think it was some kind of contest among middle schoolers?

Worst album cover ever.

rorschach
May 23, 2011, 11:28 AM

Here she is before she was Gaga... the second song is better. (http://youtu.be/NM51qOpwcIM)

Yes, "hipsters" may not like it because it's popular...but the music certainly ATTEMPTS to be "EDGY" and "DIFFERENT" (whether it actually is or not is another debate.)

huck500
May 23, 2011, 11:28 AM
You bash music because it makes you feel good to think you have better taste than others... and then those others are thinking exactly the same thing about YOUR music.

And then people like me feel good about criticizing those who criticize other people's music. Humans, we're wacky. :p

Tiger8
May 23, 2011, 11:30 AM
Amazon might be promoting their service, but this is meant to inflate Lady Gaga's numbers. Think about it, next week she will debut at #1 with a gazillion copies sold in one week. No one will mention that the whole album was for 99 cents at one of the major retailers.

I for one just bought it, and I'm not a gaga fan

Kaibelf
May 23, 2011, 11:32 AM
I wonder if the 10 year old that designed that album cover got paid for his work?

Do you think it was some kind of contest among middle schoolers?

Worst album cover ever.

http://www.amazon.com/Son-Filth-Die-Cheerleader/dp/B000001FIB

warfa
May 23, 2011, 11:34 AM
is there an iPhone app for the Amazon cloud service?

Leeartlee
I bought it for the 0.99$, but Amazon's service seems to have issues. Only 4 songs have downloaded. The other tracks seem to be stuck in an endless waiting period.

Got to say, if this is the norm' for Amazon's music service, I wouldn't be buying more. And by reading reviews on the site, seems many people are having issues. Looks like this might backfire on them a bit.

It's not. This promotion is bringing Amazon's servers to its knees. And that's saying a lot.

Žalgiris
http://www.amazon.com/Son-Filth-Die-Cheerleader/dp/B000001FIB

Oh my god that is beautiful.

Ivan P
Yeahhhhh I'm pretty sure the tracks you buy on iTunes are lossy. I couldn't (in my cursory google search) find any support that when you buy iTunes AAC's - they're lossLESS.

How much of a difference (really) do you think you are personally hearing/not hearing between AAC and MP3 compression.

AAC is a lossy format, regardless of who sells it or what encodes it. FLAC, Apple Lossless (ALAC), AIFF, etc (I believe WAV is too), are examples of lossless audio formats. AAC, MP3, etc, are lossy. Best way to tell - if the files are, say, 4MB or 5MB for a 3-minute song, it's in a lossy format. If they're more along the lines of 30MB-40MB for the same song, then it's lossless. The online stores steer towards lossy files because, one, they take up less space (therefore not putting as big a strain on your connection - a 70MB album compared to a 700MB one), and because they're more likely to be supported by other players (for example, iPods don't support FLAC or WAV). In the end, in most cases the noticeable difference in quality between a lossless file and a lossy one (say, an AAC file encoded at 320kbps), is negligible.

(Btw not all this post was aimed at you, the rant at the end was more a guide for people that may not understand the difference :) )

Leeartlee
is there an iPhone app for the Amazon cloud service?

Nope. Yet there is one for Android. Hmm....

JoeG4
May 23, 2011, 11:35 AM
At 99 cents, it's still a ripoff.

Kaibelf
May 23, 2011, 11:36 AM
Amazon might be promoting their service, but this is meant to inflate Lady Gaga's numbers. Think about it, next week she will debut at #1 with a gazillion copies sold in one week. No one will mention that the whole album was for 99 cents at one of the major retailers.

I for one just bought it, and I'm not a gaga fan

That's assuming that, literally, ALL of those gazillion people (or even anything more than a minuscule number of them) are both AWARE of Amazon's service and interested in using it. I can bet solid money that about 99% of those online purchases will be through iTunes or ordering/purchasing the physical disc. She doesn't need an Amazon coupon to move units, when this release has been pushed as a big release for the past 6 months already.

Frozone
May 23, 2011, 11:36 AM
It's not. This promotion is bringing Amazon's servers to its knees. And that's saying a lot.

Yeah, I figured that's what might be happening. Either way, horrible first impression.

roadbloc
May 23, 2011, 11:37 AM
Bought it. Decent quality MP3, but I do prefer a lossless format. I don't see why people are bashing the fact that Amazon has better offers than iTunes. Is Apple that important to you that you'll willingly pay £11+ over £3? I mean, if you don't like Lady GaGa then fair enough, but other than that, how is this a bad thing?

Kaibelf
May 23, 2011, 11:37 AM
Oh my god that is beautiful.

LOL I saw that one in the rack at Coconuts Records (yeah, remember THEM?) back when I was about... 13 and now, over 20 years later, I STILL remember it. :D It's just... ludicrous, but hilarious, disturbing.... and even the band name is a riot.

BLACKFRIDAY
May 23, 2011, 11:38 AM
well wouldn't you like a selection of what music you want to listen to... upload 20gb of music and you can choose which albums you want to stream at different times without having to go back and manage your cloud selection.

Also, I don't think a 300mb song uses 300mb of data to stream. (someone correct me if i'm mistaken)

That's great.

There's a reason I "had" an iPod classic to store 80gigs worth of music to carry some of my favourite music.

But really, do I need that everyday or once a week or once a month?

One can always carry 2-4GB worth of music in a phone and be done with it.
This is one of those occasions when one can claim: '640k ought to be enough for anybody'. In my opinion, 2-4GB is enough for most of the people. It seems like this kind of cloud storage is for those who don't wish to carry their iPod classics with them. Get the analogy?

And yes, if you are streaming at a decent bit-rate, there's hardly a difference in the size of the stream.

One can use AI and introduce core-level algorithms to identify parts of music that don't require that kind of bit-rate.

For eg, a heavy metal song with a fine bass needs to be more clear than hip-hop grump/

Azadre
I retract my statement that Amazon wins. This still has not downloaded.

samcraig
AAC is a lossy format, regardless of who sells it or what encodes it. FLAC, Apple Lossless (ALAC), AIFF, etc (I believe WAV is too), are examples of lossless audio formats. AAC, MP3, etc, are lossy. Best way to tell - if the files are, say, 4MB or 5MB for a 3-minute song, it's in a lossy format. If they're more along the lines of 30MB-40MB for the same song, then it's lossless. The online stores steer towards lossy files because, one, they take up less space (therefore not putting as big a strain on your connection - a 70MB album compared to a 700MB one), and because they're more likely to be supported by other players (for example, iPods don't support FLAC or WAV). In the end, in most cases the noticeable difference in quality between a lossless file and a lossy one (say, an AAC file encoded at 320kbps), is negligible.

(Btw not all this post was aimed at you, the rant at the end was more a guide for people that may not understand the difference :) )

I agree 100 percent. And I knew all of that - just didn't feel like pointing it all out. But thank you for doing it so I didn't have to :)

AppleScruff1
At 99 cents, it's still a ripoff.

LOL. It's pathetic that Lady Goo-Goo is at the top of the entertainment field. It says a lot about society.

TMay
May 23, 2011, 11:39 AM
I would argue that neither Apple nor Amazon for that matter are all that concerned about each others business models; it's just normal competition.

What is interesting to me is that Amazon could be creating a fork of Android that plays to Amazon's content strengths, potentially eliminating Google from the equation and fully capturing advertising revenue from its partner stores, while selling volumes of branded devices. With Amazon's Kindle base, and customer loyalty, Amazon could actually pull off a serious competitor to both the existing and fractured Android market and Apple's model.

This would require Amazon to provide apps comparable to Google's, though I can see developers jumping at the chance to generate cash through an Amazon bundle (Skyhook?) included with the hardware.

Either way, a win for Amazon that most probably will impact the Android market more so than Apple's, and puts them squarely in the same arena with WebOS, and Windows7 as late but potent entries in the market.

Leeartlee
Yeah, I figured that's what might be happening. Either way, horrible first impression.

True. I somehow doubt this would happen with iTunes. Having said that, I VERY rarely buy anything from iTunes because, frankly, I don't like supporting market strangleholds.

Surely
Yes, "hipsters" may not like it because it's popular...but the music certainly ATTEMPTS to be "EDGY" and "DIFFERENT" (whether it actually is or not is another debate.)

Well that's the thing....it just reeks of effort (and of old dirty Madonna wardrobe).

nikhsub1
I can't stand any of her music but you can't deny her musical talent and her complete adoration and humble nature she has with all her fans. The hate on her is unnecessary and ignorant.
Very well said. I am forced to hear her due to having a 10 year old daughter, I don't love her music but it isn't hate worthy, there is plenty more out there worse. That said, I certainly have tremendous respect for her.

Azadre
May 23, 2011, 11:40 AM
LOL. It's pathetic that Lady Goo-Goo is at the top of the entertainment field. It says a lot about society.

http://twenty-somethingtravel.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/haters_gonna_hate.gif

unlinked
Don't see what the problem is with that. Amazon UK has a deal EVERY WEEK where one album is £3.99

This week it's "Born This Way".

Amazon UK and Amazon US are very separate.

Some people get upset when they have to pay 6 times as much as someone else for stuff. Others just use methods that do not discriminate against them.

surf2snow1
I retract my statement that Amazon wins. This still has not downloaded.

Exactly, they should have said you can buy it for 99 cents, but good luck downloading it! I've had mine trying for an hour and a half... thanks Amazon! You had to know that this was going to be a huge promotion, why not prepare for it?

ciTiger
Round 2, FIGHT!

Glad to see the competition making good on their promises!

ZMacintosh

lmao wtf are you talking about?
what do you mean by machine processed garbage? do you mean using digital consoles? digital audio work stations? computers?
They may be exact sound for sound copies of something produced in the 60s or 70s but now adays its quite a tale to tell the difference between them, granted the producer is good. but really who cares? music is music....:rolleyes:

Tiger8
May 23, 2011, 11:42 AM
That's assuming that, literally, ALL of those gazillion people (or even anything more than a minuscule number of them) are both AWARE of Amazon's service and interested in using it. I can bet solid money that about 99% of those online purchases will be through iTunes or ordering/purchasing the physical disc. She doesn't need an Amazon coupon to move units, when this release has been pushed as a big release for the past 6 months already.
Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for Gaga and I have no doubt in my mind that she will debut at #1, with or without help.

But, making the album 99 cents on its release day will definitely help it. Anyone heading to Amazon (and many are) to buy Gaga's album will see that it already at #1 for 99 cents. So it will further make her move units.

At the end of each year Amazon does discount bestsellers to $1.99, but these are releases that are a few weeks or months old. Different story than discounting the album on its release date.

Good for her, no artist nowadays eats from the proceeds of album sales anyway, that is so 90s. Everyone tours and I know she just concluded a successful monster tour. Albums are merely a vehicle for promoting tours.

Scott6666
May 23, 2011, 11:44 AM
For 0.99 figured I'd buy it before the kids spent $12 on iTunes.

So far, a half hour later only 3 songs have managed to make it into my Amazon Cloud account. Not very impressive.

Thunderhawks
May 23, 2011, 11:44 AM
lol to all the artist bashing....i think the tone/tune would be different if iTunes had this album for 99¢

LOL +1

People that look at this as a Lady Gaga issue don't get the real picture.

Everybody is entitled to their own taste of music, artists etc., so why bash her
if her music or antics aren't your cup of tea? Same for any artist.

Very simple , don't listen to what you don't like. Next!

As for the price, so what?

It's a promo price that can be looked at as paid advertising. They are advertising their cloud business and use a promo to attract people to the ad. (Yes, the 99 cts. album is an ad)

Whatever amount of cloud sign ups they get from this promo pays for whatever the 99 cents gave away. Crap shoot? Most likely not. More a long term investment.

Amazon is not scared of itunes. They do what they do and from a timing standpoint they do not know what Apple does when and just wanted to promote their service with a hot new album.

IMO , most likely that the promo decision was made months ago, instead of Amazon waiting for Apple to (insert bodily function sound)

zoozx
May 23, 2011, 11:45 AM
Lady Gaga is crap on a platter.

jamesryanbell
May 23, 2011, 11:45 AM
Anything I purchase and try to download isn't working. It's just locked up "waiting".

ivladster
May 23, 2011, 11:46 AM
HAHAHA this is awesome. GAGA is everywhere. paws up!

blokey
May 23, 2011, 11:47 AM
For 0.99 figured I'd buy it before the kids spent $12 on iTunes.

So far, a half hour later only 3 songs have managed to make it into my Amazon Cloud account. Not very impressive.

Similar situation here, 8 songs made it on very quickly. Not seeing progress since then.

britabroad
May 23, 2011, 11:47 AM
Anything I purchase and try to download isn't working. It's just locked up "waiting".

me too - it's been trying to download it for 30 minutes now. this after downloading various players and downloaders and installers... certainly not intuitive like an apple service.

thetexan
May 23, 2011, 11:48 AM
Why is Amazon "nervous"? Their music cloud or even mp3 sales are not their real bread-and-butter but rather side businesses. The success or failure of Amazon's music cloud isn't going to make much of an impact on Amazon's bottom line. They're kicking Apple's ass in e-book sales, the iPad has not seemed to slow down Kindle sales at all, and other portions of Amazon has nothing to do with Apple. This isn't Amazing being nervous, but rather Amazon advertising a new service.

So far though I've used music.google.com and I must say I'm very impressed. I loaded an application that monitors my music folders and anytime I throw a music file in those folders it's automatically uploaded to the cloud so I can access all my music anywhere I have a web browser. So far so good, Google!

tdgrn
At least you guys have some songs... all I got was the damn PDF... :mad:

jamesryanbell
Still locked up WITHOUT a single kb of music transferred. Just sitting there "waiting" like it has been for ten minutes. That's jacked up.

Frozone
May 23, 2011, 11:50 AM
Still locked up WITHOUT a single kb of music transferred. Just sitting there "waiting" like it has been for ten minutes. That's jacked up.

Plan to keep waiting. I've managed to get 10 songs downloaded now, but it's taken a while. I've restarted the downloader a few times and that seemed to help?

BC2009
May 23, 2011, 11:50 AM

I'm a bit shocked at how many negatives this comment got. Anybody with half a brain can see that Amazon's Cloud Storage and Google Music Beta were attempts by two companies scrambling to be first to market before Apple dropped the next bomb on them with iCloud. For all I know, iCloud may suck, but it seems Amazon and Google are nervous enough about it.

Amazon is doing a good job of marketing their Cloud Storage and they are probably leaps and bounds ahead of Google right now -- but with all this scrambling it makes me even more curious what their own corporate funding digging has turned up about Apple's iCloud plans.

I am reminded of the Motorola Xoom launch which went to great lengths to beat the iPad 2 to market without Flash (still only poorly-running beta flash) and without 4g (still waiting) and with a beta-like Honeycomb (just updated to 3.1 last weekend to fix those issues).

Being first has its advantages, but I wonder if these two services launched early enough to steal away enough of the iTunes market. There was time when Microsoft got lazy and would squash the competition by pre-announcing an MS feature or product that did exactly what their first-to-market competitor did. In those cases the first-to-market competitor typically had a full-featured product with all its ducks in a row. Amazon and Google have decided to give the finger to the music labels and go on their own in hopes of being "first to market".

Despite this, I notice that Apple does not pre-announce anything. They play their cards very close to the vest. The competition seems to be clamoring to find out whatever Apple is going to do next so they can copy it and release a beta version first. But ultimately, you would think the one who is proactively planning their next move would do better than the ones who are reactively stumbling to get their first. Time will tell, but I suspect we will be hearing many many comments from Jobs in the future that sound like his iPad 2 "first to ship in volume" on a dual-core tablet. Being first is going to be harder and harder for Apple has folks will do anything and sacrifice anything to get there before them -- even if it means releasing something that is incomplete.

ArchaicRevival
May 23, 2011, 11:51 AM
Musician, –noun

Although I'm not a Gaga fan, I like some of songs that she's written for other artists, but I definitely agree with you. She only had to go that route, just like many artists, because today's generation doesn't care for piano and jazz and old school music, so the only way to get her music out there was to create a controversial image of herself, and whether you agree with what she's doing or not, she must be doing something right... I remember Eminem's line in "Sing for the moment" he says: "It's F*&%ed up ain't, how we can come from practically nothing, to being able to have any F$&*in' thing that we wanted..."

She's definitely succeeded at that :)

World Citizen
May 23, 2011, 11:52 AM
oops

World Citizen
May 23, 2011, 11:52 AM
huh wut.. another oops?

GadgetAddict
May 23, 2011, 11:53 AM

You sir are overreacting... :rolleyes:

Žalgiris
Originally Posted by ZMacintosh

Crap is crap regardless of who is selling it.

ivladster

Everyone have their own taste in music, but she's one hell of a performer. She wouldn't be the 6th most influential person in the world if people didn't appreciated her work.

LandOfTech
May 23, 2011, 11:54 AM
hmmm thats a pretty good deal, but i already have the bonus track version that i downloaded from mediafire hahahah.

RichardBeer
May 23, 2011, 11:54 AM
On the topic of cloud based products and storage. I'm afraid I'm going to have to join the reactionary camp (if there is one) so to speak. I can't help but see possible dangers concerning privacy of the individual and dependance on the service provider. Also security, I'm no expert but big data centres hosting a wealth of personal information or digital media just seems like a big target.

I'll keep my hard media DVDs and Blu-Rays and my digital data on my hardisks.

Don't get me wrong, I see the benefits and if the market goes that way then I will have to move with it but if it's at all possible I prefer integrity over the risks of going for convenience.

cyberlocke
May 23, 2011, 11:55 AM
Cool deal (if you're a Lady Gaga fan), but seriously, that album cover is just freaky disturbing. Let's get some more rumors up so we don't have to see that every time we check in.

Born Again
May 23, 2011, 11:55 AM
oops

U know NOTHING about icloud so before u toot any horns

Get ur facts jack

iCloud could be a service where u need to pay for the clOud ability.

"yay!!! We pay more for songs!!! And then we can get to stream our songs that we paid for using bandwidth!". :rolleyes:

hexonxonx
May 23, 2011, 11:56 AM
Crap is crap regardless of who is selling it.

It is. I wouldn't buy this on Amazon or iTunes. I've had a chance to listen to the whole thing for free on Farmville and refused to do so.

Žalgiris
She wouldn't be the 6th most influential person in the world if people didn't appreciated her work.

What?

Mac-Rumours
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

not trying to bash Amazon's great deal but if all they deliver to people is mp3s than its honestly not worth it, id rather have a lossless audio file than lossy mp3...i mean most consumers dont care to recognize the difference between lossy and lossless not that most know what that means..its a shame really but not something (mp3s, not this specific album) id purchase to put in my library.
still interesting tactics, but seems that its going to cost amazon more to do things like this since they have no viable means in that market...iTunes/Apple has a lot more pull in that area and amazon i think is just trying to throw things and hope they stick long enough to become valid,

What about applying your high standards of music quality to things like punctuation, grammar, and spelling? ;)

thermodynamic
The theme song to "The Munsters Today" (the one with the lyrics) has more talent invested than Gaga's derivative dross...

(and "talent" used to be a verb, not a noun... :( )

AppleScruff1
Everyone have their own taste in music, but she's one hell of a performer. She wouldn't be the 6th most influential person in the world if people didn't appreciated her work.

That says a lot about the world, doesn't it?

Born Again
May 23, 2011, 11:57 AM

U know people said that about the beetles too

DeaconGraves
May 23, 2011, 11:57 AM

iTunes definitely got the headstart in this case. There were definitely a lot of people that likely preordered the iTunes album ahead of time, and their credit card payment had likely processed before they heard of the deal.

Besides those folks though, Amazon probably grabbed a ton of first-time users today. I woke up this morning to find 4 or 5 people on my twitter feed already mentioning the sale and another 3 of my friends sharing the link on Facebook. And the group of people I socialize with aren't the biggest group of GaGa fans.

I'm a bit shocked at how many negatives this comment got. Anybody with half a brain can see that Amazon's Cloud Storage and Google Music Beta were attempts by two companies scrambling to be first to market before Apple dropped the next bomb on them with iCloud. For all I know, iCloud may suck, but it seems Amazon and Google are nervous enough about it.

Honestly, you kinda hit the exact reason why I downvoted that comment. Hard to say iCloud will blow Cloud Storage out of the water when we have no concrete info about iCloud yet.

Žalgiris
May 23, 2011, 11:58 AM

Lets wait 30 years to find out, shall we?

rorschach
May 23, 2011, 12:01 PM

So? Just because geniuses have been criticized doesn't mean all people who are criticized are geniuses. (And I'm not saying the Beatles were or weren't geniuses.)

They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown. --Carl Sagan

arn
May 23, 2011, 12:01 PM
Although I'm not a Gaga fan, I like some of songs that she's written for other artists, but I definitely agree with you. She only had to go that route, just like many artists, because today's generation doesn't care for piano and jazz and old school music, so the only way to get her music out there was to create a controversial image of herself, and whether you agree with what she's doing or not, she must be doing something right... I remember Eminem's line in "Sing for the moment" he says: "It's F*&%ed up ain't, how we can come from practically nothing, to being able to have any F$&*in' thing that we wanted..."

She's definitely succeeded at that :)

I'll just add this here, as it seems relevant. lady gaga pre-gaga at nyu.

NM51qOpwcIM

daprinz
May 23, 2011, 12:04 PM

1) When Apple releases/announces something everybody ***** in their pants.
It goes to the extreme end of companies releasing unfinished products.

2) Cloud storage means information for marketing and advertising. You know, the business that gives Google billions every single year. Or did you think that Amazon &co. builds server farms because they are you friend?

THINK before calling someone ignorant.

cooldaddybeck
May 23, 2011, 12:08 PM
You couldn't pay me to take that crap that some people try to push as "music."

Surely
May 23, 2011, 12:08 PM

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=NM51qOpwcIM)

Too bad she didn't stick to that. Ah well, I guess there's more money in the music business when you sell out........

She looks better as a brunette.

roadbloc
May 23, 2011, 12:09 PM
<snip>

:rolleyes:

BornAgainMac

She looks much better in that video. Now she has that 99 cent look.

JRoDDz
When you buy the album for 99 cents you get 20GB of cloud storage automatically. It's worth it just for that alone. Even if you could care less about Lada Gaga.

econgeek
May 23, 2011, 12:10 PM
Amazon has been PROVIDING Cloud based computing for years. How long has Apple?

A lot longer than Amazon.

Apple introduced iTools (now MobileMe) in 2000, while Amazon's first cloud offering, S3, was announced in 2006.

Further, from an engineering perspective, Amazon's infrastructure is crap, and Apple's is less crappy. (AWS is popular because it does add value to the marketplace for large businesses that were previously operating their own datacenters.... but it is still crap.)

samcraig
It goes to the extreme end of companies releasing unfinished products.

2) Cloud storage means information for marketing and advertising. You know, the business that gives Google billions every single year. Or did you think that Amazon &co. builds server farms because they are you friend?

So Apple is being altruistic and doesn't wants to gain information for marketing and also advertising? Apple is our friend that way?

ALL companies are "guilty" of the same thing. I think the response you replied to was merely pointing out the underlying hypocrisy.

Scott6666
At least you guys have some songs... all I got was the damn PDF... :mad:

I think that's going to be the best part :D

Without licenses I guess they are making millions of copies of the same bits. With licenses, I guess Apple will just point to a pre-existing server farm instance. Milliseconds vs hours. iCloud wins.

cloud 9
May 23, 2011, 12:11 PM
Musician, –noun

She's using the same chords, the same progression and the same rhythms like every other bland pop star.
Even if she is amazingly talented she's not putting it to a good use. there's more substance in her clothing than in her music.

That's like trying a cheeseburger and yelling it's the most amazing thing you ever ate just because a so called talented chef made it? It just means you like cheeseburgers, leave it at that.

Cagle
May 23, 2011, 12:13 PM
for some reason that album cover reminds me of another piece of artwork...

http://i.imgur.com/9V67E.jpg

tjcampbell
May 23, 2011, 12:15 PM
Incredible price, but there's no profit for anybody involved. Be it Gaga, Amazon, the label.

Fugabutacus
May 23, 2011, 12:16 PM
Everything you said here is true.

Also true: Her music sucks.

Have you given her a proper listen? I hated her at first, she seemed like typical poppy crap. Granted, she was pretty much that at first...

Born This Way is great though. At least the music means something. And I love how there's some Jazz influences in there too -- three cheers for sax solos!

samcraig
May 23, 2011, 12:16 PM
I'm also pretty sure that if iTunes/Apple made this offer - either now or at the launch of their cloud based music service, people would be saying things like "haaa - suck it Amazon!"

rdowns
May 23, 2011, 12:17 PM
Once again, Apple provides the highest levels of customer satisfaction. I saved $13.99 by not buying from Apple and only $0.99 with Amazon. :D

JCanfield
May 23, 2011, 12:19 PM
lmao wtf are you talking about?
what do you mean by machine processed garbage? do you mean using digital consoles? digital audio work stations? computers?
They may be exact sound for sound copies of something produced in the 60s or 70s but now adays its quite a tale to tell the difference between them, granted the producer is good. but really who cares? music is music....:rolleyes:

I think they mean autotune.

Rodimus Prime
May 23, 2011, 12:20 PM

Umm just like to point out that Amazon use VBR mp3 and at the bit rate Amazon is using it sounds exactly the same as what Apple AAC files are. They are both Lossy formats and guess what they have the exact same quality at the given bit rate and to top it off the Amazon files play on every play. Apple AAC files it is hit or miss.

1. Unlimited Data

well you do not listen to it all and on top of that I know for me I often times am in range of a wifi of some type that I can use. for example I am up at campus so I will stream threw the schools wifi. My computer is not with me but I can listen to most of it. I have unlimited data and I will still use the schools wifi. A hell of a lot easier on the battery life.

Ummm no not really. This is pretty normal of amazon so I would read nothing into it like you are.

iberroa
May 23, 2011, 12:23 PM
Just bought the new lady gaga album for .99 cents w00t w00t.

Xtremehkr
May 23, 2011, 12:25 PM
I like the competition, it will keep Apple honest and encourage them to innovate more often.

Even so, I think Apple is doing something quite exciting with their cloud plan, all of the most important record labels seem to be on board.

Not a Gaga fan myself, though it's good enough background music not to be annoying.

Amazon is being pretty aggressive about that but a few cents isn't going to make most people abandon convenience. Besides, the Amazon music store is about as visually appealing and well organized as the rest of that site is. It's a mess of content links, flashing things, psy-ops, columns scrolling in every direction. Just a lot of visual noise for a website, it reminds of me of the 1990s when all of those things were new and impressive on a website.

By this stage in the history of Internet people appreciate more stripped down websites that are easier on the eyes. I hope Amazon realizes this at some point.

ChrisA
May 23, 2011, 12:30 PM
Actually there is no reason someone can't make money selling 99 cent albums. It cost next to zero to make a digital download.

roadbloc
May 23, 2011, 12:31 PM
Actually there is no reason someone can't make money selling 99 cent albums. It cost next to zero to make a digital download.

You've never heard of cross-collatrolisation have you? It is clear to see that at such a price, someone, if not everyone involved but the consumer, is loosing money at the moment.

citi
May 23, 2011, 12:32 PM
I don't love her...but my wife does. .99cents I can swallow pretty easily.

bbeagle
May 23, 2011, 12:33 PM

You're going to have to renegotiate that Lady Gaga contract where she gets $1.50 per album sold then. Plus what her agent and label demand.

mack pro
May 23, 2011, 12:34 PM
She's not really my 'cup of tea' but there's no denying the Lady can shift music - and all this promotion means is that she'll shift shed-loads more.

As far as us mere consumers are concerned, this move by Amazon means everyone wins ;)

RTP.

Leave it to Apple fans to be pissed off about low prices.

citi
May 23, 2011, 12:35 PM
You've never heard of cross-collatrolisation have you? It is clear to see that at such a price, someone, if not everyone involved but the consumer, is loosing money at the moment.

Lady Gaga is going to make her money. Her income is based on advances which are recouped for losses/profit on the tru-up. This is probably absorbed into her marketing budget. We don't know the details of her contract with the label, and the labels contract with Amazon. For all we know, Amazon is giving the labels the .99 to the label and increasing their royalties on all albums sold for a set period of time to recoup. There are many ways to do this.

mack pro
May 23, 2011, 12:36 PM

RTP.

Leave it to Apple fans to be pissed off about low prices, but If it were Apple doing this promo it would be a different story

ThisIsNotMe
May 23, 2011, 12:37 PM
So why does Apple continue to play by the rules and negotiate with the MPAA/RIAA?

Incredible price, but there's no profit for anybody involved. Be it Gaga, Amazon, the label.

I seriously doubt Gaga or the label teamed with Amazon for the promotion.

I'd assume Amazon is covering the difference from their marketing budget or similar.

Like the article stated, this is just promotion for Amazons cloud service.

mack pro

RTP.

Leave it to Apple fans to be pissed off about low prices, but If it were Apple doing this lady caca promo it would be a different story

Born Again
May 23, 2011, 12:38 PM
People r angry today

Amazon is awesome

HMFIC03
May 23, 2011, 12:39 PM
They would have to pay me to download a whole lady gaga album. Can't wait for the iCloud!

JAT
May 23, 2011, 12:39 PM
Too bad she didn't stick to that. Ah well, I guess there's more money in the music business when you sell out........

She looks better as a brunette.
+1

Two top performers at the moment are Gaga and Adele. They were not disimilar at one point. Why did one make it continuing with real music, the other had to turn into a teeny-bop nightmare? And the better writer (although not voice) is Gaga, most likely.

bbeagle
May 23, 2011, 12:41 PM
Leave it to Apple fans to be pissed off about low prices, but If it were Apple doing this lady caca promo it would be a different story

I think we'd have the exact same discussions, just the names of the people pro this move and anti this move would be reversed.

Woe the fan boys and anti-fan boys.

toddybody
May 23, 2011, 12:43 PM
Bravo Amazon...I'm very impressed with their cloud solution. That said, Gaga's new album sucks...it's no FameMonster

chrono1081
May 23, 2011, 12:45 PM
Musician, –noun

+1 Like her music or not someone has to admit she is a very talented musician. (She got into Tisch school of arts at age 17!) Not to mention she spends a lot of her own money for her concerts.

She may not appeal to everyones taste (although she has many different types of songs than what you hear on the radio, the song Speechless is an example of this) but theres no denying the fact that she is great at what she does.

backdraft
May 23, 2011, 12:47 PM
Lady Gag no thanks! She needs to go back under the rock she crawled out of!

Westyfield2
May 23, 2011, 12:47 PM
We could not process your order. The sale of MP3 Downloads is currently available only to US customers located in the United States.

:( :rolleyes:

cflocation
May 23, 2011, 12:48 PM

I had to register to to comment on this post. The line (Cloud storage is cloud storage) caught my attention.

Lets check these items also
A cell phone is a cell phone
A music player is a music player
A tablet is a tablet

See all those items have changed the way all other companies development there devices. The OP was just stating Amazon is afraid of what iCould might be like.

ChazUK
May 23, 2011, 12:50 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not my thIng but that is a steal. What an offer!

Themaeds
May 23, 2011, 12:50 PM
It is. I wouldn't buy this on Amazon or iTunes. I've had a chance to listen to the whole thing for free on Farmville and refused to do so.

I'm no GAGA fan but I am no hater either....posting something "crap", and then admitting you never heard it is dumb

oban14
May 23, 2011, 12:52 PM

Agreed.

mattkap
May 23, 2011, 12:55 PM
like her music or not, she is extremely talented and has upped the ante on "pop" music.

Talent is talent, no matter the genre.

bushido
May 23, 2011, 12:57 PM
supposedely their cloud is crashing ^^ too many ppl trying to ddl the album

CalBoy
May 23, 2011, 12:59 PM
Does anyone know if the album sold by Amazon is the censored version?

Even though it's only $1, I don't want edited music...

JAT
May 23, 2011, 01:01 PM
I don't want edited music...
Word choice?

AppleScruff1
May 23, 2011, 01:01 PM

Except that the Beatles had talent and they are still talked about over 40 years after they split up.

Lets wait 30 years to find out, shall we?

Lady who?

Surely
May 23, 2011, 01:03 PM
Does anyone know if the album sold by Amazon is the censored version?

Even though it's only $1, I don't want edited music...

The second review on Amazon's site:

the entire album for only 99 cents for the entire release date?!!! worth it! this has got to be one of the best decisions a record label has made to allow this good music to be available so cheap. the songs are very good. before you purchase you should be made aware that this version of the album is censored/edited. the song "government hooker" has f-words that have been bleeped out. other than that it's a definite keeper even at full price.

CalBoy
May 23, 2011, 01:04 PM
Word choice?

For censors, I have a few choice words.;)

blackburn
May 23, 2011, 01:05 PM
I don't really care about icloud or amazon cloud. I still love cd's, There are still great albums out there. Now Lady Pasta no thanks.

She is the smart one. People eat trash, so let's sell trash.
In the country I live in the only music that sells is pure junk (pimba), so if you want to make any money at all, it's junk or nothing:mad:.

vartanarsen
May 23, 2011, 01:06 PM
She looks like a nightmare.

I will stay in my cozy steve-jobs atmosphere, thank you very much.

twarner776
May 23, 2011, 01:09 PM
+1 for Amazon. I know there are several people awaiting apples icloud but I for one would not want it. If it has the same slow speed that caused me to cancel mobile me it will be a failure.

Discoverer
May 23, 2011, 01:12 PM
Meh. Who cares about Lady Gaga? Now, if this was a Justin Bieber album, then everyone here would be excited.

rmwebs
May 23, 2011, 01:14 PM

Highly doubt it. Amazon rule when it comes to the cloud market. Apple have so far shown that they have no idea what they are doing.

(Vote me down if you like...I couldn't give a flying Woz if you disagree)

Lotso
May 23, 2011, 01:18 PM

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=NM51qOpwcIM)
The last line in that video was hilarious when that women said, "Norah Jones look out!" That just really shows how much she has changed her self to be popular. Makes her extremely unattractive tbh.

spillproof
May 23, 2011, 01:20 PM
$0.99 for a years subscription to 20GB of storage, yes please!

samcraig
May 23, 2011, 01:22 PM
It's a tad ironic that some people brag on Apple saying they can do whatever they want because - who cared - they have 60+ billion in the bank. Things like Jobs can laugh all the way to the bank when the "haters" come out.

Regardless of how I feel about Lady Gaga (I like some songs and others not at all)- all I can say is - I'm sure SHE'S laughing all the way to the bank and doesn't care what her detractors say...

tablo13
May 23, 2011, 01:24 PM
all very fascinating, but it doesn't change the fact that her music is, at best, watered down third rate late 90s soft pop-trance. Truly dreadful.

+1. The cover art is horrible too. When I first saw it before the release, I hoped it'd be fake, but guess not. :rolleyes: I watched the NYU video, and it's sad what marketing music to preteens/teens can do. :(

Hastings101
May 23, 2011, 01:24 PM
I don't really buy anything through iTunes anyway, unless there's no other way to get it. I still like to buy cds :(

tigres
May 23, 2011, 01:26 PM
Bravo Amazon...I'm very impressed with their cloud solution. That said, Gaga's new album sucks...it's no FameMonster

I bought it for my wife about 4 hours ago.
1 song has completed all others have failed. That's my only purchase from Amazon cloud music in about a year.

Not too impressed, however the price (should I ever get the album) is great.

chrono1081
May 23, 2011, 01:27 PM
Except that the Beatles had talent and they are still talked about over 40 years after they split up.

You need to give credit where credit is due. She beat out the Beatles for the most hits in a single album.

EDIT: I can't find the specific article where I read that and information on the internet is all over the place, but from a majority of sites I fact checked on she does indeed have the most number 1 hits from a single album.

Kaibelf
May 23, 2011, 01:27 PM
The last line in that video was hilarious when that women said, "Norah Jones look out!" That just really shows how much she has changed her self to be popular. Makes her extremely unattractive tbh.

Something tells me that she sleeps just fine at night on a mattress stuffed with the $150m she's personally raked in in the past two years. And judging by her concert and how seriously she took the music, I don't question her integrity and devotion to the job. How's Norah doing? She still living on the lower east side? Does anyone notice, or did they all fall asleep listening to "The Fall"?

ikir
May 23, 2011, 01:28 PM
I don't comment on her music, i don't like it but i think it matter of taste... but the cover art is horrible :p

the8thark
May 23, 2011, 01:30 PM
Musician, –noun

The dumb masses. Most people would not know good music if it hit them on the head. And it's a well known fact in the music industry: "You don't get rich by being good, you get rich by being popular". So release any old crap and market it very well and you have a winner.

She has her audiences and her fans. But for those of us who want a little class in our music we steer clear of her and look for something better.

BC2009
May 23, 2011, 01:35 PM

Honestly, you kinda hit the exact reason why I downvoted that comment. Hard to say iCloud will blow Cloud Storage out of the water when we have no concrete info about iCloud yet.

Yes, I guess I focused on the "scared" part rather than the "iCloud will blow Amazon cloud storage away". But I guess my read on the recent Google and Amazon first-to-market rush is that both those companies are thinking that iCloud will be a very big deal. Personally, I am not sure of how great it will be since MobileMe was not the best thing Apple had done, but Google's and Amazon's scrambling makes me think that maybe Apple is going to release something really great.

For me, the selling point will be the ability to re-download whatever movie I want when on vacation without having to think about what I want to sync before hand. My music does not take the most room on my device -- it is movies and apps that take up my space -- I am hoping for something to provide cloud access to movies and application state more than anything.

But still your point is well taken -- I now get why people are downrating that comment so much.

mrochester
May 23, 2011, 01:35 PM
So release any old crap and market it very well and you have a winner.

A lot of people would argue that's precisely how Apple works too ;)

Surely
May 23, 2011, 01:37 PM
I bought it for my wife about 4 hours ago.
1 song has completed all others have failed. That's my only purchase from Amazon cloud music in about a year.

Not too impressed, however the price (should I ever get the album) is great.

To be fair, I'm sure that their servers are getting hit hard because of this.

I buy music from Amazon all the time, and downloads are usually fast with no issues.

mygoldens
May 23, 2011, 01:38 PM

I do not think so, Apple is a day late and a dollar short. Remember what Bill said to Steve, it does not matter who is better, it is who is FIRST!

The iPad is losing and the iPhone is flatlined, why, because Apple is not inovative, they keep playing the same old song, the iPod is IOS, the iPhone is IOS, the iPad is IOS, Mac OS X is IOS............:eek:

What is there virtual cloud, iCloud IOS? :eek:

vartanarsen
May 23, 2011, 01:38 PM
A lot of people would argue that's precisely how Apple works too ;)

nope, Apple does not release crap.
an Aliminum unibody MBP with a glass trackpad is not crap.

Lotso
May 23, 2011, 01:40 PM
Something tells me that she sleeps just fine at night on a mattress stuffed with the $150m she's personally raked in in the past two years. And judging by her concert and how seriously she took the music, I don't question her integrity and devotion to the job. How's Norah doing? She still living on the lower east side? Does anyone notice, or did they all fall asleep listening to "The Fall"?

Really? You think she's sleeping just fine? http://www.safm.com.au/entertainment/music/popbuzz/blog/lady-gagas-backstage-breakdown-caught-on-camera/20110427-c44b.html

You can have all the fame and fortune in the world, but if your not happy with yourself, none of it matters.

Jett0516
May 23, 2011, 01:44 PM
the only thing that would scare Apple is.....if Amazon release the Beatles album for .99 cents. :eek:

mrochester
May 23, 2011, 01:44 PM
nope, Apple does not release crap.
an Aliminum unibody MBP with a glass trackpad is not crap.

I suppose if the logic is that you can be successful just by having a great marketting strategy in the music business, it's not unfeasible to apply the same logic to other businesses.

iMacx
May 23, 2011, 01:45 PM
Great deal, but that cover is awful.

Moyank24
May 23, 2011, 01:47 PM
I do not think so, Apple is a day late and a dollar short. Remember what Bill said to Steve, it does not matter who is better, it is who is FIRST!

The iPad is losing and the iPhone is flatlined, why, because Apple is not inovative, they keep playing the same old song, the iPod is IOS, the iPhone is IOS, the iPad is IOS, Mac OS X is IOS............:eek:

How is the iPad losing? And to whom?

chrono1081
May 23, 2011, 01:47 PM

You are waaaay wrong on that. Thats not even opinion. The iPad is failing? What? iPhone flatlined? Go troll elsewhere.

blow45
May 23, 2011, 01:53 PM
lady gaga is not even worth 1c.

rowuncw
May 23, 2011, 01:54 PM
Great move on Amazon's part. Reminds me of when they dropped the price of the Beatles Stereo Remasters (the recently-released physical CD box set plus DVD) by $30 the same day Apple announced they were coming to iTunes.

Ivan P
May 23, 2011, 01:55 PM
You need to give credit where credit is due. She beat out the Beatles for the most hits in a single album.

EDIT: I can't find the specific article where I read that and information on the internet is all over the place, but from a majority of sites I fact checked on she does indeed have the most number 1 hits from a single album.

To be totally honest, it's not that hard to do anyway - the "official" Beatles albums (those released in the UK, as the band saw it), very rarely yielded even one single; 95% of their singles were standalones that never saw release on any of their 12 LPs/1 EP (I mention Magical Mystery Tour as an EP because it was Capitol in the US that added the many singles onto the second half). Please Please Me, A Hard Day's Night, Help!, Revolver, Abbey Road and Let It Be were the only albums that had tracks released as singles, and even then the maximum number of singles yielded was a mere two (this is following their UK discography, not the butchered US one, remember) - so obviously, when Gaga releases some 5+ tracks from an album various singles she will clearly beat out The Beatles for "most hits in a single album".

Kaibelf
May 23, 2011, 02:00 PM
Really? You think she's sleeping just fine? http://www.safm.com.au/entertainment/music/popbuzz/blog/lady-gagas-backstage-breakdown-caught-on-camera/20110427-c44b.html

You can have all the fame and fortune in the world, but if your not happy with yourself, none of it matters.

Ah yeah, I saw that too. It was at the beginning of her HBO special, right before she went out and spent two hours singing her face off to about 25,000 adoring fans. Also, to put it in context, as tabloids often don't, the reason she was crying was because this was THE concert that she had worked toward her entire life: her very first headlining Madison Square Garden sold-out concert, and she came to see that she not only made it, but that she was a very lucky person for making it. She was overwhelmed, obviously, because this meant everything to her.

haydn!
May 23, 2011, 02:00 PM
Great move by Amazon! Only made worse for Apple by the fact they don't seem to be honouring the 'Countdown to Born this Way' promotion!! Offering people the chance to buy at a discounted rate using 'complete my album' if you'd brought Edge of Glory and Hair!

Sounds great... only it ain't working and still showing full price!!

jettredmont
May 23, 2011, 02:01 PM

So far as I can tell, it's primarily impatience coupled with poor feedback on the process from Amazon.

The process is that you buy the songs, then Amazon's ecommerce server uploads your individual copy of the song to the Amazon "Cloud Drive" server. That second step takes time. Amazon has to (legally) copy each person's individual file of their individual song up there individually to avoid the legal black hole that took down MP3.com (wherein proving you had bought a CD made the encoded files of that CD stored on their server available to you immediately).

It's a clunky process, and Amazon has to expect that people will go directly from buying something to playing it (duh), but they don't give ANY indication that that second step is not instantaneous. Hence, a lot of people go over there and see that only six of the 14 songs have uploaded yet, and freak out.

One explanation here is that Amazon's Cloud Drive upload service is just not specced to handle the mass of uploads they are getting by offering the new album from a popular artist for bubblegum money. Unfortunately, this is the first experience a whole slew of people will have of Cloud Drive, and it will be negative. Getting the music from "Cloud Drive" to my local iTunes player was another super-clunky step (I tried playing from the Cloud Player web service, but can't imagine ever listening to more than one or two songs like that ... the interface sucks like a bad copy of WinAmp/1998.

This combined with the fact that it looks like choosing Cloud Drive as the intermediary here means all my future Amazon music purchase will first have to go over there, and it means impulse music purchases are less likely to go through Amazon.

Kaibelf
May 23, 2011, 02:02 PM
The dumb masses. Most people would not know good music if it hit them on the head. And it's a well known fact in the music industry: "You don't get rich by being good, you get rich by being popular". So release any old crap and market it very well and you have a winner.

She has her audiences and her fans. But for those of us who want a little class in our music we steer clear of her and look for something better.

Please, enlighten the unwashed losers of the world so that we may know where to find your temple, so that we may bring our personal music selections for your private endorsement. Otherwise, seriously, get over yourself. ;)

Incindium
May 23, 2011, 02:05 PM
Rapture Survival Consolation Prize.

OMG that is the funniest thing I've seen posted on the internets in a long while.

Nice one.

Peteman100
May 23, 2011, 02:09 PM
I still think Google and Apple's music services will be much more appealing options for me. Guess I'll pass on this.

JAT
May 23, 2011, 02:10 PM
Ah yeah, I saw that too. It was at the beginning of her HBO special, right before she went out and spent two hours singing her face off to about 25,000 adoring fans. Also, to put it in context, as tabloids often don't, the reason she was crying was because this was THE concert that she had worked toward her entire life: her very first headlining Madison Square Garden sold-out concert, and she came to see that she not only made it, but that she was a very lucky person for making it. She was overwhelmed, obviously, because this meant everything to her.
You're not...parked outside her window, are you?

saving107
May 23, 2011, 02:12 PM
$0.99 for a years subscription to 20GB of storage, yes please!

I just had my Hard Drive crash (or something got corrupted) on me last week and I spent my weekend replacing the HD in my iMac and then trying to retrieve files from my old HD, I was successful in doing so but it is a pain in the ...

$0.99 to for Amazon to give me a 20GB storage locker for a year is a deal, and I intend to use it.

MagnusVonMagnum
May 23, 2011, 02:14 PM
Musician, –noun

She writes all of her own songs. She sings live every time. She's a classically trained pianist and dancer. She endlessly tours, appears, and promotes her songs and brand. She plays instruments on stage. It's pretty safe to say that, regardless of if you buy the albums or listen to it on the radio, she's about 1000x the musician that most "artists" out there are.

I have way more respect for Lady Gaga as an artist than most. For everyone that thinks she's over the top in dress, etc., they obviously must not have lived through the space rock (e.g. David Bowie) or hair metal days (e.g. Early Bon Jovi, Poison, etc.). I haven't heard much from this album, but I certainly thought Poker Face and LoveGame were excellent sounding (although I thought 'disco stick' was a bad sounding euphemism in LoveGame). But then I like music by the Pet Shop Boys, Delirium and others. My favorite artist Tori Amos also writes and performs all her own music. My favorite band Pink Floyd also wrote their own stuff (well as long as Roger Waters was there anyway; Gilmour had a little help on their last album from his wife with lyrics).

In any case, for 99 cents, I'm more than happy to buy the album and check it out. Getting a year of 20GB cloud drive is just a boon. For everyone saying Amazon is desperate or whatever, I don't really care what you call it. It works. I bought the album and have 20GB of cloud storage. The heck on Apple. Too little, too late. I also don't like VBR AAC since it didn't play on my last car stereo (haven't tried it yet on my new car's stereo; AAC without VBR plays fine on both as does all MP3, VBR or not).

Frobozz
May 23, 2011, 02:19 PM
Pretty cool. For $1 you get a lot of stuff. If nothing else, I tried their cloud player. I'll be putting the album in iTunes and early await Apple's integrated solution for cloud playback.

Amazon has done a pretty good job with their cloud player! C'mon Apple!

frankjl
May 23, 2011, 02:20 PM
Wow is that the album cover?

horrible.

You would think somebody as big as her would have something mroe streamlined. That cover looks like something we will be laughing at in 20 years when we look back at today.

Moyank24
May 23, 2011, 02:20 PM
I have way more respect for Lady Gaga as an artist than most. For everyone that thinks she's over the top in dress, etc., they obviously must not have lived through the space rock (e.g. David Bowie) or hair metal days (e.g. Early Bon Jovi, Poison, etc.). I haven't heard much from this album, but I certainly thought Poker Face and LoveGame were excellent sounding (although I thought 'disco stick' was a bad sounding euphemism in LoveGame). But then I like music by the Pet Shop Boys, Delirium and others. My favorite artist Tori Amos also writes and performs all her own music. My favorite band Pink Floyd also wrote their own stuff (well as long as Roger Waters was there anyway; Gilmour had a little help on their last album from his wife with lyrics).

You forgot to mention Madonna. I have nothing against Lady GaGa or her music, but let's not forget this has been done before. From the outfits, to the religious imagery, the shock value, etc...Not that there's anything wrong with it, especially if she's successful, but her "act" isn't exactly original.

Risco
May 23, 2011, 02:33 PM

That is incorrect, she is a great musician and great singer. The bad thing is the songs she sings are ****. This was forced upon her as normal stuff don't sell as well.

Before she was famous. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM51qOpwcIM&feature=related

haydn!
May 23, 2011, 02:36 PM
That is incorrect, she is a great musician and great singer. The bad thing is the songs she sings are ****. This was forced upon her as normal stuff don't sell as well.

Before she was famous. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM51qOpwcIM&feature=related

I don't think it was 'forced' on her at all. She writes her own music... she can't blame anyone!

carmenodie
May 23, 2011, 02:41 PM
what a freaking joke!
99 cents for a whole album. Jesus Christ!
What type of marketing is that?
This Ga Ga chick is hot and her albums cost million to produce. And you wonder why the music biz is so effing sh***!
Amazon is giving away a whole album for a buck on an artist, question her talent if you will, that is red hot just to move their freaking tiered cloud service.OMFG!!!
If you want to politicize minutia go ahead. Go and bi*** about the price difference and say Apple is taking food from your ten kid's mouth. Ha ha! I'm not leaving itunes for nobody.

roadbloc
May 23, 2011, 02:43 PM
what a freaking joke!
This Ga Ga chick is hot and her albums cost million to produce. And you wonder why the music biz is so effing sh***!
Amazon is giving away a whole album for a buck on an artist, question her talent if you will, that is red hot just to move their freaking tiered cloud service.OMFG!!!
If you want to politicize minutia go ahead. Go and bi*** about the price difference and say Apple is taking food from your ten kid's mouth. Ha ha! I'm not leaving itunes for nobody.

You are clearly nuts.

chrono1081
May 23, 2011, 02:43 PM
To be totally honest, it's not that hard to do anyway - the "official" Beatles albums (those released in the UK, as the band saw it), very rarely yielded even one single; 95% of their singles were standalones that never saw release on any of their 12 LPs/1 EP (I mention Magical Mystery Tour as an EP because it was Capitol in the US that added the many singles onto the second half). Please Please Me, A Hard Day's Night, Help!, Revolver, Abbey Road and Let It Be were the only albums that had tracks released as singles, and even then the maximum number of singles yielded was a mere two (this is following their UK discography, not the butchered US one, remember) - so obviously, when Gaga releases some 5+ tracks from an album various singles she will clearly beat out The Beatles for "most hits in a single album".

Thats one of the things I noticed when fact checking my statement since I couldn't find the original article was that back then singles were done in a lot different way so its kind of hard to compare. Even still though four number 1 hits (and I'm not sure how many other top 10 hits) from one album is quite an accomplishment.

what a freaking joke!

Amazon is the one losing money on this not the record labels.

I was tempted at the 99 cents until reading the fine print. You get automatically enrolled in a cloud service that starts charging after a year. (From what I understood it to mean anyway).

I generally never like a whole album anyway and just pick and choose songs to download.

EDIT: No, you do not get automatically enrolled in a cloud service and you can move the files into iTunes.

chrono1081
May 23, 2011, 02:45 PM
Mods please delete

SeattleMoose
May 23, 2011, 02:46 PM
....all have in common?

They are all media "HOs"....

At least Amazon got the price right based on the quality of the artist :cool:

rwilliams
May 23, 2011, 02:47 PM
Amazon has quite the problem on their hands. Thousands, if not more, of people who bought the album hours ago are still unable to download it, and have no idea of when they will be able to. That's not exactly how you want to introduce your Cloud Drive service, nor will it lead to positive word of mouth.

carmenodie

That is one of the stupidest a** comments I have ever heard. You really believe what you wrote? You sound like one of the best, naive people on the net. Ha ha!

lilo777
I still think Google and Apple's music services will be much more appealing options for me. Guess I'll pass on this.

What does it have to do with music services? Can't you just buy the album (and then use any cloud service if you want to)?

carmenodie
May 23, 2011, 02:51 PM
you know who's losing? The artist. Music isn't a commodity like coal and gas. It is an intellectual property.

roadbloc
May 23, 2011, 02:56 PM
I was tempted at the 99 cents until reading the fine print. You get automatically enrolled in a cloud service that starts charging after a year. (From what I understood it to mean anyway).Your posts tend to make sense, but this one doesn't. No-one is forcing you to actually use the cloud service. Just simply do not use it. I haven't.

I generally never like a whole album anyway and just pick and choose songs to download.At 99 cents you can get them all and then delete the ones you dislike, unlike iTunes, which I'm guessing is 99 cents per song.

you know who's losing? The artist. Music isn't a commodity like coal and gas. It is an intellectual property.Utter ********. Why don't you read some posts before posting? Amazon will be the one loosing out. Do you really think the record companies will willingly just loose money? It'd be the first time ever if it is the case.

bobr1952
May 23, 2011, 02:58 PM
Amazon has quite the problem on their hands. Thousands, if not more, of people who bought the album hours ago are still unable to download it, and have no idea of when they will be able to. That's not exactly how you want to introduce your Cloud Drive service, nor will it lead to positive word of mouth.

More like millions but they have a notice on the site now explaining the technical problems and assuring all their customers that they will get the entire album--but maybe not today.

DeaconGraves
May 23, 2011, 03:01 PM
you know who's losing? The artist. Music isn't a commodity like coal and gas. It is an intellectual property.

Any arguments about the artist "losing" originate way way way before Amazon decided to discount this one album.

As others have mentioned before, Amazon is likely taking that economic hit on this sale to attract more people to its music store. At the end of the day it will likely owe the record label as much as it would have owed had it sold the album at full price. And Lady Gaga will receive royalties at the equivalent amount.

Tiger8
May 23, 2011, 03:07 PM

Artists stopped making money on albums years ago... gone are the days when an album sells 34 million copies or something...

Artists now make money on TOURING. That's why U2 tour non-stop, that's why Madonna charges $400 a seat, that's why Gaga herself was on tour for over a year.

mgipe
May 23, 2011, 03:09 PM
What a way to make a splash with a new service!

MacAddict1978
May 23, 2011, 03:12 PM
Seems like the Record Labels may not like this move by Amazon.... they are devaluing the market for paid downloads and I'm sure that makes them nervous.

I have to agree with the other poster... Amazon looks nervous. I'm sure they're taking a financial hit to try and capture some business.

No, this is wildly smart and financially savvy. It's a great use of advertising budget dollars. They could spend millions on advertisements, or pull you in with a door buster deal.

1. It pulls people into their MP3 store, many for the first time. Now they see how easy it is to buy there, cheaper than iTunes mostly ALWYAS anymore.
2. Giving the first year of Cloud service again inducts a user in the service, and when their $20 renewal arrives it's money in Amazon's pocket.
3. The Amazon MP3 store with the Cloud Drive could lure people out of itunes. Imagine people who work in office settings that are maybe allowed to ahve music, but don't have thier itunes at work. Cloud Drive... one of the few practical reasons I can see people using it.

I also think the record label knows what a stinker this album is. It's ok, mostly filler tracks and pales in comparison to the first. They've done everything from promoting it in Farmville to giving a track a day away... I bet Amazon is getting an incentive to do this as well.

bushido
May 23, 2011, 03:18 PM
lol at all those "music experts" in here, genres change over the years which is a good thing and it's great that u still like the beatles or sth from 30 years ago but don't expect the next generation to care about them just bc they were hip back in the day. imagine everyone having the same taste in music, how lame would that be ...