PDA

View Full Version : 17" Powerbook G4 1.0GHz

Nathan21585
May 23, 2011, 01:05 PM
Ok so just got a 17" Powerbook G4 with 1 GHz and 60 GB hard drive and 512 MB of RAM. Now I am a graphic design student and will be using it until I have the money to upgrade. I will be using CS3 on it and will upgrade the memory and possibly the hard drive.

Do you guys think this machine will serve me well during school or should I try another model?

BTW I also have a PowerMac G5 DP 1.8 GHz that I love and uses CS3 wonderfully but I know it will be a set down with the Powerbook. I just would like something to take to school with me and don't have a lot of money at the moment. Thanks for the help guys.

cocacolakid
May 23, 2011, 01:16 PM
I have no experience with CS and that PPC CPU, but the first thing most people will tell you to do is to max out the ram, assuming you are keeping the PB.

It can take up to 2 gb of ram (2 1gb sticks). That will be a huge help in running CPU intensive design programs.

Here is the Everymac (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g4/stats/powerbook_g4_1.0_17.html)page for that Mac.

Other World Computing sells 1gb sticks of ram for that Mac for as low as $43 each (http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?model=179). You could upgrade one at a time if money is really tight. (OWC might not be the cheapest source, but it's the first I looked at).

The CS3 requirements (http://www.ehow.com/list_6186758_adobe-photoshop-cs3-system-requirements.html) do not mention a specific minimum CPU speed, so you should be fine.

Nathan21585
May 23, 2011, 01:19 PM
It can take up to 2 gb of ram (2 1gb sticks). That will be a huge help in running CPU intensive design programs.

From what I have been reading it actually only takes up to 1GB of RAM.

*Edit* Ok I might have been wrong.

cocacolakid
May 23, 2011, 01:42 PM
From what I have been reading it actually only takes up to 1GB of RAM.

*Edit* Ok I might have been wrong.

EveryMac says Apple only officially lists it as 1 gb, but it can take 2 gb's. There are quite a few Macs like that.

burnout8488
May 23, 2011, 01:54 PM
If I were in your shoes, I'd sell both and buy an older Core 2 Duo 15" MacBook Pro, or something similar. It could be used as a desktop and a laptop when you're at classes. Even a used 13" MacBook would be a huge step up and allow you to use more modern software.

My girlfriend is a graphic design student and I don't know if she could have gotten by using CS3 on a PPC at this point. I don't know how far you are in the program or what school it is, but chances are you're going to have one hell of a time running Adobe Illustrator/InDesign/Photoshop simultaneously. Even using them alone, it's not going to be pleasant if you're working on large posters.

Sometimes even a Core 2 Duo and 6 gigs of RAM isn't enough for her. If you get something you can plop on your desk and connect to a larger monitor/keyboard/mouse at home, you'll have a nice desktop setup as well.

I'm not entirely familiar with CS3, but does it actually run well on the PB? Are the features the same/similar to what they use in class? (I'm assuming CS5 or CS4 at the earliest)

Let us know!

666sheep
May 23, 2011, 02:31 PM
CS3 with 2GB RAM will be useable but slow. IMHO you'll be disappointed with performance of this PB in CS3. I use 1.67 w. 2GB RAM with CS3 and some tasks like tablet drawing, for expample, are not comfortable.
On 1.0 GHz one it will be worse. Maybe CS or CS2 would perform better due to lower hardware requirements.

Nathan21585
May 23, 2011, 02:42 PM
If I were in your shoes, I'd sell both and buy an older Core 2 Duo 15" MacBook Pro, or something similar. It could be used as a desktop and a laptop when you're at classes. Even a used 13" MacBook would be a huge step up and allow you to use more modern software.

My girlfriend is a graphic design student and I don't know if she could have gotten by using CS3 on a PPC at this point. I don't know how far you are in the program or what school it is, but chances are you're going to have one hell of a time running Adobe Illustrator/InDesign/Photoshop simultaneously. Even using them alone, it's not going to be pleasant if you're working on large posters.

Sometimes even a Core 2 Duo and 6 gigs of RAM isn't enough for her. If you get something you can plop on your desk and connect to a larger monitor/keyboard/mouse at home, you'll have a nice desktop setup as well.

I'm not entirely familiar with CS3, but does it actually run well on the PB? Are the features the same/similar to what they use in class? (I'm assuming CS5 or CS4 at the earliest)

Let us know!

I have not actually received the PB yet. Just ordered it off ebay and was wondering what to expect. I know CS3 runs great on my Powermac but I do know that the PB is a step down. I am taking a photoshop class now and its using CS3 but this is not the school where I will be getting my bachelors in graphic design. I guess I can only wait until I get the PB and see how CS3 runs.

burnout8488
May 23, 2011, 05:34 PM
In that case, you can probably scrape by on a PPC until you start working on your bachelors.

Nathan21585
May 23, 2011, 06:22 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

In that case, you can probably scrape by on a PPC until you start working on your bachelors.

Thanks everybody. I will let you know how it goes when the PowerBook comes.

burnout8488
May 23, 2011, 08:29 PM
Throw up a pic or two of it! You'll probably fall in love with it in short order.

Nathan21585
May 23, 2011, 09:42 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ok if I decide to sell my powermac g5 dp 1.8 with 500GB hard drive and 4 GB of RAM how much can I expect to get for it?

Bloodstar
May 23, 2011, 10:44 PM
Ok if I decide to sell my powermac g5 dp 1.8 with 500GB hard drive and 4 GB of RAM how much can I expect to get for it?

Depends - is it the one with 4 RAM slots, or 8?

I'd imagine you'd get a bit more if it had 8... not quite sure, though, offhand.

Nathan21585
May 23, 2011, 10:59 PM

Depends - is it the one with 4 RAM slots, or 8?

I'd imagine you'd get a bit more if it had 8... not quite sure, though, offhand.

I think it's only the 4 slots

Badrottie
May 24, 2011, 03:40 AM
photoshop element is not enough for you?

Nathan21585
May 24, 2011, 01:53 PM
photoshop element is not enough for you?

No I am going to need the whole CS3 Suite to get by in school. I have decided to sell my PowerMac and PowerBook towards a newer MacBook Pro. It just makes the most sense but I hate losing my PowerMac as I love this machine.

Badrottie
May 25, 2011, 03:56 AM
No I am going to need the whole CS3 Suite to get by in school. I have decided to sell my PowerMac and PowerBook towards a newer MacBook Pro. It just makes the most sense but I hate losing my PowerMac as I love this machine.

keep powermac because it loves you so much.

Nathan21585
May 25, 2011, 10:44 AM
Ok I have one more question. The PowerBook that I picked up needs a new LCD. It has the gray and white screen but works fine when connected to an external monitor. If I plan if I plan on just reselling it soon anyway should I get the LCD fixed? I have found some replacement LCD for $50 so not sure if it would be a good idea or not.

stroked
May 25, 2011, 11:26 PM
Ok I have one more question. The PowerBook that I picked up needs a new LCD. It has the gray and white screen but works fine when connected to an external monitor. If I plan if I plan on just reselling it soon anyway should I get the LCD fixed? I have found some replacement LCD for $50 so not sure if it would be a good idea or not.

Was the busted screen disclosed on ebay before you bought it? If not, get your money back. Ebay's buyer protection, works very well.

Nathan21585
May 27, 2011, 01:23 PM
So I finally got my Powerbook in. Its a cool machine and wish I had the money to fix it up but unfortunately it is to underpowered for what I need it for. So back up on ebay it goes and hopefully bring in what I paid for it.

Badrottie
May 29, 2011, 03:51 AM
So I finally got my Powerbook in. Its a cool machine and wish I had the money to fix it up but unfortunately it is to underpowered for what I need it for. So back up on ebay it goes and hopefully bring in what I paid for it.

try add more memory to make it bit faster?