Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomtendo

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
Is it safe to close my MBA lid and have it put out the image only on the external monitor?

Would it over heat or anything?

Oli3000

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
Yes, it is safe, do-able, and lots of people do it.

People say it does run hotter though, even just for normal work, as they keyboard is a key way for the laptop to lose heat!

tomtendo

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Florida

People say it does run hotter though, even just for normal work, as they keyboard is a key way for the laptop to lose heat!

So it doesn't damage the screen when the lids closed?

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010

I do it all the time.

The keyboard is not the only way that MacBooks dissipate heat. I don't think that is its secondary function either. There is vent at the back-bottom, near the black strip.

When the MacBook is open, the heat comes out of that vent and the opening between the keyboard and the screen.

Apple even has a support article that gives instructions on how to use MacBooks in this way. They call it "clamshell mode" - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3131

My guess about the increased temperature is that the GPU is working harder to drive a larger monitor, but that's normal.

Don't worry about it.

Last edited:

Peteman100

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2011
Berkeley, CA

Heat dissipated through the keyboard will be small compared to the vents. Forced vs natural convection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.