Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

createasaurus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
When I'm at home, I use my desktop, when I'm at work, I use my powerbook. Is there a way I can sync them everyday so the files are identical and updated?

I looked at iSync but it seems to only deal with palm type devices.

thanks.

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
The most convenient way to do this might be to purchase .mac. It can automatically sync your bookmarks, address books, and other settings. But you can use it as a server to hold your Office documents, and grab them off your iDisk when you get to work/home.

reality

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
install LaCie Silverkeeper on both , put all the flies you use on both in a similar dir, and update from the newer versions to the other computer

and maybe the easiest/fastest way to transfer is running the target as FireWire so it sees it as a disk ;)

should work fine & its free software...

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Get dot Mac. Its $99 a year and you get email, homepage, and the ability to sync your Macs bookmarks, documents with iDisk. iDisk even works automatically in when you change a document on one computer, it will sync up to the other computer. With Tiger coming along, you will be able to sync even more preferences this way.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

varmit said:
Get dot Mac. Its $99 a year and you get email, homepage, and the ability to sync your Macs bookmarks, documents with iDisk. iDisk even works automatically in when you change a document on one computer, it will sync up to the other computer. With Tiger coming along, you will be able to sync even more preferences this way.

Since when does .Mac sync documents between computers? If you access the files FROM your iDisk, sure, but iDisk does not sync files on your actual computer. You would need chronosync or you synchronize for that.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
appleretailguy said:
Since when does .Mac sync documents between computers? If you access the files FROM your iDisk, sure, but iDisk does not sync files on your actual computer. You would need chronosync or you synchronize for that.

To his point, if all your documents ARE stored on your iDisk you would be okay. Isn't that the point if you have .mac?

I am surprised nobody mentioned just getting an external HDD and change your home folder on each machine to use the external.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
appleretailguy said:
the iDisk acts as a folder on your desktop where you can store files. And it will automatically sync them with .Mac, then with any other computer that you have your iDisk activated. So yes, your iDisk is on that computer, but its linked to the other computers too. Your iDisk doesn't disappear when you loose internet connection, its still there, you can still store to it. Then when you connect again, it syncs. And with Tiger, you might be able to sync other stuff other than just the iDisk between the two computers automatically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.