PDA

View Full Version : A Possible Photo of the Back Part of the iPhone 5

MacRumors
May 23, 2011, 07:49 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/23/a-possible-photo-of-the-back-part-of-the-iphone-5/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/2_201105240813351.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/2_201105240813351.jpg)
Apple.Pro publishes (http://tw.apple.pro/?uid-2-action-viewspace-itemid-6558) an unverified image of what claims to be the back cover of the iPhone 5. The shell is white with 2 distinct holes in it. One for the camera, and the other presumably for the camera flash. Apple.Pro can't verify the authenticity of the image.

The image comes a week after the revelation (http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/iPhone5-case1-500x481.jpg) of a iPhone 5 case which also had an extra hole that was believed to be for the camera flash. That case has since been removed from the original vendor site.

Article Link: A Possible Photo of the Back Part of the iPhone 5 (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/23/a-possible-photo-of-the-back-part-of-the-iphone-5/)

domness
May 23, 2011, 07:51 PM
Never mind the iPhone case, but is that a Twitter for Mac copy in the background?

I also love the amount of advertisement on some of these images #scarcasm.

wordoflife
May 23, 2011, 07:52 PM
Sure, I'll take that.

irwcll94
May 23, 2011, 07:54 PM
I could even make a fake back part like that...

moebius
May 23, 2011, 07:54 PM
What is in the middle of the apple logo? another hole?

arn
May 23, 2011, 07:55 PM

looks like the photo might have been taken with a white iphone?

arn

rockyroad55
May 23, 2011, 07:55 PM

Reflection of the camera taking the picture?

Megagator
May 23, 2011, 07:58 PM
How effective would a flash be that far away?

arn
May 23, 2011, 08:01 PM

Effective as in illuminating the subject or taking a better photo?

For a) I think it would be effective, since most cameras do have a flash somewhat apart from the lens.

for b) As for improving anything? There was some talk that there might be a slight advantage, but one advantage would be avoiding some issues that the white iPhone 4 had with its flash. Apple slightly redesigned the iPhone 4 camera and flash in the final white iPhone 4s, presumably due to some issues.

arn

wordoflife
May 23, 2011, 08:03 PM

arn

It's hard to see the flash on the iPhone in the Apple logo ... maybe it was shot with an iPhone 5 :eek:

Steelers7510
I'm really not a fan of the flash being all by itself on the right side of the iPhone. I like it being right next to the camera for whatever reason. Maybe it will grow on me... :rolleyes:

ArchaicRevival

I can make it using paint on windows 98.

iPadPublisher
May 23, 2011, 08:07 PM
Starting to feel like an iPhone launch is closer than September. The timing of the recent leaks feels like the typical few weeks before a launch, not the few months others are suggesting.

That's just the vibe I get. Who knows?!

appleguy123
May 23, 2011, 08:10 PM
There is no flash on the white iPhone taking the picture. Maybe this picture was taken with an iPhone 5? Anyone have the metadata?

Cheerwino
May 23, 2011, 08:11 PM
This must be a fake. The iPhone 5 I ordered today from the fellow in Nigeria was all glass and curved. I'm even getting it for free once I deposit Prince Gnumbutee's inheritance in my bank account.

moebius
May 23, 2011, 08:21 PM

arn

Of course! That makes sense.

Thanks.

outlawarth
May 23, 2011, 08:22 PM
Starting to feel like an iPhone launch is closer than September. The timing of the recent leaks feels like the typical few weeks before a launch, not the few months others are suggesting.

That's exactly what I intended to write.

legacy fan
May 23, 2011, 08:23 PM
I'd like to see the apple logo on the back illuminate in call etc like my MBPro. Otherwise the ip4 is rolling fine for me. Bring on iOS 5

HMFIC03
May 23, 2011, 08:24 PM
this must be a fake. The iphone 5 i ordered today from the fellow in nigeria was all glass and curved. I'm even getting it for free once i deposit prince gnumbutee's inheritance in my bank account.

+1

propynyl
May 23, 2011, 08:26 PM
I think this stuff is real. Lately the prelaunch leaks (ala iPad 2) have been dead on. But, this is a boring design. Each new iPhone makes the last one look old and retro. How can they ever do that to the stunning iPhone 4? I guess larger screen would work.

haruhiko
May 23, 2011, 08:32 PM
Who cares about the back? Some previous "leaks" have already shown that the iPhone 5's camera flash is on the other side of the back. What we do care is whether there will be a larger edge to edge screen or any curved glass on the FRONT! :D

peapody
May 23, 2011, 08:40 PM
Who cares about the back? Some previous "leaks" have already shown that the iPhone 5's camera flash is on the other side of the back. What we do care is whether there will be a larger edge to edge screen or any curved glass on the FRONT! :D

Well any rumor is better than no rumor.

The more rumors like this that come out, the more I am hopeful the iphone 5 is coming out very soon.

Jamie 360
May 23, 2011, 08:41 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It would be pretty bad ass if the apple logo lit up when the flash goes off!

iCrizzo
May 23, 2011, 08:42 PM
Why is his/her email address and website URL not in Chinese? :confused:

appleguy123
May 23, 2011, 08:45 PM
Why is his/her email address and website URL not in Chinese? :confused:

Don't all URL's(I heard they're changing this soon) use Latin letters?

MacFan782040
May 23, 2011, 08:47 PM
I'd like to see the apple logo on the back illuminate in call etc like my MBPro. Otherwise the ip4 is rolling fine for me. Bring on iOS 5

I thought the same thing at first, but then thinking about it more it doesn't make sense. The light would come from the screen, and that shuts off when you're talking on the phone anyway, and when the screen is on, the Apple logo would be facing the ground if you're just holding it in your hand.

Plus there's all that electronic stuff blocking a "hole" in there unlike in a MBP it's just the screen (no battery, logic board, memory)

Mike Oxard
May 23, 2011, 08:57 PM
It's hard to see the flash on the iPhone in the Apple logo ... maybe it was shot with an iPhone 5 :eek:

The reflection does look similar to the part being photographed. If you look between the "w" and the "." of the "Www." writing, there is the reflection of a dark dot in the same place as the flash on the new cover :eek:

louis Fashion
May 23, 2011, 09:07 PM
Ok loyal MacRumors readers, I just have to ask. Over the years I have seen several form factors, front photos, back photos, cases, shells, etc, etc, which have proved to be "fakes", and I am not just talking about protoypes or design exercises which, indeed, may have had some lawful purpose. I am talking about fakes. Now, think about it, who would just sit around building / photo shopping fake, iPhone or iPad, or what have you parts which are just plain fabrications? That activity just appears to be odd. Back in the day did Car and Driver print photos of vehicles which some basement dwelling dweeb, hacked with a number 2 pencil? Did Popular Science print Photos of some futuristic RCA radio with "moving picture" embedded within? If they did, the rendering was clearly noted as a concept, not a rumor. You have to wonder where these "leaks" which are later found to be fake, come from.

42streetsdown
May 23, 2011, 09:12 PM
well that email address is gonna get spammed a lot now.

trekkie604
May 23, 2011, 09:14 PM
So, white iPhone 4 back plate with a hole drilled into the top right corner?... Why is this news?

wackymacky
May 23, 2011, 09:21 PM
Yawn,

Why do they have to make these stupid photos that are just adverts for their web sites?

You've got a part. Take a photo from front/back and side on so we can see it properly.

Not some slightly off focus, poorly exposed rubbish.

wackymacky
May 23, 2011, 09:23 PM
well that email address is gonna get spammed a lot now.

In fact I feel like spamming them to tell them how irritating I find this picture!

mavis
May 23, 2011, 09:32 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB, JB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The reflection does look similar to the part being photographed. If you look between the "w" and the "." of the "Www." writing, there is the reflection of a dark dot in the same place as the flash on the new cover :eek:

Nice find. But that means it's not actually a flash, because flashes aren't usually black. ;)

I wonder if it's an iPhone 4S back installed on an iPhone 4? If they're the same size/basic external design, the back covers might be interchangeable, although the flash obviously wouldn't work.

designgeek
May 23, 2011, 09:56 PM

arn

I don't see a flash on that one, maybe this photo was taken by a prototype?

Either way, I'll take this. It looks legit and it jives with what we know about the camera and the form factor is very similar to the iPhone 4 like we've expected.

Mattsasa
May 23, 2011, 10:01 PM
I hate this uncertainty of the future of apple products!

acslater017
May 23, 2011, 10:16 PM
I think this stuff is real. Lately the prelaunch leaks (ala iPad 2) have been dead on. But, this is a boring design. Each new iPhone makes the last one look old and retro. How can they ever do that to the stunning iPhone 4? I guess larger screen would work.

Yea, an extra 0.5" on the display (and/or edge-to-edge) would help give it a more modern feeling. A slightly tapered design, similar to the Magic Mouse or recent iPod Touches, combined with iPhone 4 glass back would look really sweet IMO.

Other cool/frivolous features inspired by the Mac
-MagSafe connector
-invisible/near invisible speaker grills (or behind the display)
-light-up Apple logo, as someone mentioned
-FaceTime camera indicator
-Perforated Sleep indicator light (or notification light?)
-invisible battery life indicator

But, perhaps the iPhone has reached a plateau of external design. Not that it can't get ANY better/cooler, but that its initial phase of radical redesign has passed. Not unlike the iMac (once it reached its flat panel G5 look), MacBook, Mac Mini, Mac Pro, iPod Classic, etc.

Pink∆Floyd
May 23, 2011, 10:26 PM
Backplate seems wider...

Possible bigger screen?

Brien
May 23, 2011, 10:41 PM

Uhh... (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/25/photo-of-iphone-4s-with-larger-screen/)

Reach9
May 23, 2011, 10:44 PM
I could care less if the flash has moved. This can easily be faked as arn states.
I'm waiting for a bigger screen!

scott523
May 23, 2011, 10:51 PM
It could be a hole for the wi-fi/bluetooth antenna? The band could then support all of the frequencies?

cvaldes
May 23, 2011, 10:52 PM
You can eliminate that uncertainty by ignoring all sources of Apple news apart from Apple.com.

Up to you.

Eso
May 23, 2011, 10:56 PM
What a stupid place for the flash; it's too easy to cover it with your hand when taking pictures in landscape.

NikeTalk
May 23, 2011, 11:18 PM
I'm no engineer or whatever but that flash just seems too far away to be effective on a phone.

cvaldes
May 23, 2011, 11:28 PM
It's the same separation as most point-and-shoot cameras.

cvaldes
May 23, 2011, 11:39 PM
It could be a hole for the wi-fi/bluetooth antenna? The band could then support all of the frequencies?
This makes no sense.

If the glass back attenuates radio frequencies, then such a small round hole would be a definite downgrade from the relatively large antennae on the current iPhone (the metal bands circling the perimeter of the handset).

Besides, on the current iPhone, WiFi and Bluetooth both run in the unlicensed 2.4GHz frequency. Please explain what you mean by "all of the frequencies."

AppleScruff1
May 23, 2011, 11:54 PM
WoW! This looks great. I can't wait to see it.

scott523
May 24, 2011, 12:24 AM
This makes no sense.

If the glass back attenuates radio frequencies, then such a small round hole would be a definite downgrade from the relatively large antennae on the current iPhone (the metal bands circling the perimeter of the handset).

Besides, on the current iPhone, WiFi and Bluetooth both run in the unlicensed 2.4GHz frequency. Please explain what you mean by "all of the frequencies."
Oops, I mean that if the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth antenna is moved to the Apple logo, the steel band could support all of the frequencies of Qualcomm's radio chip (MDM6600?).

From that picture, however, that could very well be a white prototype iPhone taking the picture

godiehco
May 24, 2011, 12:37 AM
if you pay attention to the phone that was used to take the picture you can tell that it has the same back that is used to take the pic. if you see the camera hole there is no flash next to it and it has the flash on the opposite side. ;)

Brien
May 24, 2011, 12:51 AM
It's sorta obvious that the iPhone 5 has a similar design. First off, it's a great design, so if it isn't broke... etc, etc.

Secondly, by only revamping the design every other iteration or so (3G/3GS as an example), they save money as there is less to retool. Making a slightly larger window for the front glass, or moving the hole for the flash on the back glass, isn't really that hard. The internal components will likely change (and by the rumors, a capacity bump, larger screen, the A5 and new GPU in the iPad, and better camera hardware are pretty much shoo-ins) but retain the current design. Probably seams and all. I just hope my bumper still fits this new model.

blocky
May 24, 2011, 12:57 AM
Just saying: The flashes are placed differently on the "leaked" images.

The iphone-case has the flash centered on the same height as the center of the camera, while the new image both instead share the same margin from the phone's top (resulting in the flash being placed too high for the case to work).

rochford
May 24, 2011, 01:00 AM
Not iPhone 5, iPhone 4s

Born Again
May 24, 2011, 01:05 AM
its funny how people say fake

and we've been through this before

these parts turn out real and then everyone falls in love

so it's real - nobody is going to take their time making these dumb fake photos. nothing says photoshop

stop complaining accept it.

MH01
May 24, 2011, 01:29 AM
I thought this was the Iphone 4S. I would suspect 5 would be a more radical design change, and I am sure the current 4 design has a bit more left it in given the white one has just come out.

bushido
May 24, 2011, 02:09 AM
I thought this was the Iphone 4S. I would suspect 5 would be a more radical design change, and I am sure the current 4 design has a bit more left it in given the white one has just come out.

its still the 5th tho, the redesign would be 6

iPhone
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S (name makes no sense to me anyway)
iPhone 6

Wiesenlooser
May 24, 2011, 02:16 AM
I still think that the iphone 5 revision is going to be more major than this. What else would take them so long to get this thing out if it's just a revamped iPhone 4?

Mike Oxard
May 24, 2011, 02:37 AM
if you pay attention to the phone that was used to take the picture you can tell that it has the same back that is used to take the pic. if you see the camera hole there is no flash next to it and it has the flash on the opposite side. ;)

If you pay attention to the thread, you'll see that this was mentioned in posts 10, 27 and 33 :p

This to me suggests it's fake, if you had the whole phone why would you only show photo's of the back cover?

RalfTheDog
May 24, 2011, 02:52 AM

Who cares about the back? I want to know the pixel count for the super secret back display. Will the back display require glasses for 3d or will it use eye tracking like the front display?

b0blndsy
May 24, 2011, 03:01 AM
I can make it using paint on windows 98.

LOL, you are funny

ghsNick
May 24, 2011, 03:05 AM
The phone that took the picture seems to be the new i4s/i5.

This is the original.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e399/nick1189/i5.jpg

Look at the Apple Logo by adjusting your screen/head so your looking at an upward angle.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e399/nick1189/i5Updated.jpg

MonkeySee....
May 24, 2011, 03:58 AM

This is the original.
Image (http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e399/nick1189/i5.jpg)

Look at the Apple Logo by adjusting your screen/head so your looking at an upward angle.
Image (http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e399/nick1189/i5Updated.jpg)

Jeez guys its a white 3gs taking the picture.

People still use these you know :(

Michael Scrip
May 24, 2011, 04:04 AM
I still think that the iphone 5 revision is going to be more major than this. What else would take them so long to get this thing out if it's just a revamped iPhone 4?

That's what I'm wondering too.

Apple was able to go from the iPhone 3GS to the iPhone 4 in just one year... and the iPhone 4 was a completely redesigned phone.

Why would it take so long to move the flash to the other side of the case... especially if it's the same case?

Padraig
May 24, 2011, 04:11 AM
That's what I'm wondering too.

Apple was able to go from the iPhone 3GS to the iPhone 4 in just one year... and the iPhone 4 was a completely redesigned phone.

Why would it take so long to move the flash to the other side of the case... especially if it's the same case?

Why do you think it took one year to design the 4? I do agree that the delay of the next iPhone doesn't make sense to me in the context of it having the same basic design.

Michael Scrip
May 24, 2011, 04:47 AM
Why do you think it took one year to design the 4? I do agree that the delay of the next iPhone doesn't make sense to me in the context of it having the same basic design.

I don't know how long it takes Apple to design anything. You're right... the iPhone 4 was probably in development well before the iPhone 3GS was even released.

All I'm saying is that Apple was able to have the iPhone 3GS on store shelves in June 2009... and the iPhone 4 in June 2010.

Each iPhone has had a summer launch consistently for 4 years... but there are rumors that this next iPhone will launch in September.

If that's true... what's the hold up? Is an extra 3 months really needed if the phone looks basically the same?

I dunno... I'm still thinking the iPhone 4S will come out this summer... but it will have its own small event after WWDC. If the changes are simply a faster processor and a relocated flash... there's no reason to take up stagetime at WWDC.

Apple already caught flack for the delay in the White iPhone... and people have come to expect a new iPhone each summer.

Unless Apple is really trying to move iPhones to the Fall...

Mr. Gates
May 24, 2011, 04:49 AM

This is the original.

you ARE Awesome ! Good eye !

Your like MONK

Lesser Evets
May 24, 2011, 05:14 AM

This is the original.

You are awesome.
I was curious what that dot was about.

MonkeySee....
May 24, 2011, 05:19 AM

Hellooooo, anybody with any sense reading this thread??

ChrisTX
May 24, 2011, 05:24 AM

I feel like you're right. With the leak of the actual phone last year, Apple has to be super secretive this year. I expect a "...one more thing" at WWDC.

ChrisTX
May 24, 2011, 05:27 AM
If you pay attention to the thread, you'll see that this was mentioned in posts 10, 27 and 33 :p

This to me suggests it's fake, if you had the whole phone why would you only show photo's of the back cover?

Controlled leaks, this is nothing new. Since Apple never releases vapor ware they do it this way.

centauratlas
May 24, 2011, 05:48 AM
It has to be fake - there is no "transparent mode" available for the case. Maybe I missed it.

:)

Sunreacher
May 24, 2011, 06:02 AM

Reasons it's not the 3GS:

The 3GS is curved, this one is flat
If it was a 3GS, we would see the sleep/power button on the top
Not sure about the 3GS, but my 3G (it is dying :() has a metal ring around the lens, this one doesn't have that. We know other prototypes have lacked the metal ring before.

Themaeds
May 24, 2011, 06:08 AM
This must be a fake. The iPhone 5 I ordered today from the fellow in Nigeria was all glass and curved. I'm even getting it for free once I deposit Prince Gnumbutee's inheritance in my bank account.

hahaha nice

ratzzo
May 24, 2011, 06:11 AM
This can be just as fake as it can be real... in any case I guess it is almost sure by now the flash position will be moved

MonkeySee....
May 24, 2011, 06:15 AM

Not sure about the 3GS, but my 3G (it is dying :() has a metal ring around the lens, this one doesn't have that. We know other prototypes have lacked the metal ring before.

How could you possibly see the sleep/powerbutton from that image :rolleyes:

And its got more of a chance being the 3gs than the "New" iPhone. Reasons why:

Why would you take a shiity photo of the back of the new phone when you have a fully working one in your hand? :confused:

Popeye206
May 24, 2011, 06:21 AM
How could you possibly see the sleep/powerbutton from that image :rolleyes:

And its got more of a chance being the 3gs than the "New" iPhone. Reasons why:

Why would you take a shiity photo of the back of the new phone when you have a fully working one in your hand? :confused:

I agree... plus, Apple tends to keep fully working pre-release equipment in-house (or in local bars)... not with part suppliers. :p

jouster
May 24, 2011, 06:37 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

He didn't say it was a 3GS. He said a 3GS was used to take the picture.

daveydog
May 24, 2011, 06:56 AM
Wishfully thinking, I'd like to hold out hope that we're going to see it soon too, but for those wondering what would cause a delay (if it's only a minor upgrade), keep in mind this is the first (and only) year that Verizon was introduced to the equation mid-stream, and perhaps that somehow has screwed up the cycle....

jonnysods
May 24, 2011, 07:08 AM
Vague pic.

Sooner or later we will get a better look. Hopefully from another drunk apple employee.

RebeccaL
May 24, 2011, 07:12 AM

There's something wrong here. Prince Gnumbutee leaved all his inheritance to me, I received the will by email signed by his attonery. :confused:

On a serious note, I wonder how well would that flash work when holding the phone sideways. That's the place where most people hold the phone.

BLACKFRIDAY
May 24, 2011, 07:15 AM
September release of the phone?

ChrisTX
May 24, 2011, 07:20 AM
Wishfully thinking, I'd like to hold out hope that we're going to see it soon too, but for those wondering what would cause a delay (if it's only a minor upgrade), keep in mind this is the first (and only) year that Verizon was introduced to the equation mid-stream, and perhaps that somehow has screwed up the cycle....

While this is true, that means the rest of the world has to hold out a couple of months longer because of one carrier? Doubtful. Apple has no problem releasing mid cycle to a new carrier to gain some new adopters. I have 3 friends that were fairly devout android peeps but stuck on Verizon that switched once the iPhone was on their carrier. All a part of Apples plan.

BlindMellon
May 24, 2011, 07:22 AM
This is also the second leaked photo showing the flash in that same spot.

Still very squarish. Not liking it.

SHirsch999
May 24, 2011, 07:22 AM

Perhaps some stinkbug mistook that apple for a real one.

bennettave
May 24, 2011, 07:32 AM
I'm no engineer or whatever but that flash just seems too far away to be effective on a phone.

Doesn't seem like the flash-to-subject distance is the one that matters? How would the flash-to-sensor distance affect effectiveness - other than casting larger shadows, or reducing red-eye, etc.

ciTiger
May 24, 2011, 07:49 AM
It can just be a case... LOL

So many ads on the picture you can't even see it straight...:rolleyes:

johneaston
May 24, 2011, 07:50 AM
If you look in the reflection in the case, you can see that the lens and flash of the iPhone that took the picture are at opposite sides, as rumoured.

So, it seems that the new iPhone took the photo.

Or that the iPhone that took it had one of these fake covers on it to really throw us off...

MonkeySee....
May 24, 2011, 08:04 AM
If you look in the reflection in the case, you can see that the lens and flash of the iPhone that took the picture are at opposite sides, as rumoured.

So, it seems that the new iPhone took the photo.

Or that the iPhone that took it had one of these fake covers on it to really throw us off...

get out.

Biolizard
May 24, 2011, 08:15 AM

Doubt it. There's a world outside USA borders and Apple has released the iPhone on networks/carriers mid-cycle before. In the UK in late 2009/early 2010 Orange and Vodafone came on board, ending O2's monopoly.

Fair enough, there was more of a hullabaloo over Verizon because it's Apple's domestic market and because it's CDMA, but still not reason enough IMO.

The delay (I believe) is to align the iPhone with the iPod lineup in September and push the OS cycle back 3 months (since atm the iPad comes out at the end of the OS cycle). Also frees up WWDC for more developer-oriented stuff.
Just my 2p.

zerofour
May 24, 2011, 08:23 AM
Just bring out the next iPhone already, aaaghh!! :D

outlawarth
May 24, 2011, 08:31 AM

This is the original.

Good eye !

Kid Red
May 24, 2011, 08:35 AM
I sure as hell hope this isn't true. I put my finger down at that corner when holding the phone in landscape like you are supposed to do when taking photos and videos. That would be the most logical placement.

ironsienna
May 24, 2011, 08:38 AM
By playing a bit with Photoshop's curves, you can reveal some interesting details. Notice the ring around the camera of the phone that took the picture..

http://imageshack.us/m/11/615/screenshot20110524at143.png

Kid Red
May 24, 2011, 08:39 AM

This is the original.

While I follow you and sadly agree, I don't like the finger holding corner placement of the flash.

cvaldes
May 24, 2011, 08:45 AM
I don't know how long it takes Apple to design anything. You're right... the iPhone 4 was probably in development well before the iPhone 3GS was even released.
We know.

Steve Jobs said it took 18 months to design the iPhone 4. He introduced many of the team members at the iPhone 4's launch.

BlindMellon
May 24, 2011, 08:46 AM
Yep, now there's 50% of the corners you now have to keep your hands away from. I have a hard enough time keeping my fingers off the camera lens. Who's making these decisions at Apple?

OutSpoken
May 24, 2011, 09:13 AM
I believe the claim.

Geckotek
May 24, 2011, 09:14 AM

I'm really not a fan of the flash being all by itself on the right side of the iPhone. I like it being right next to the camera for whatever reason. Maybe it will grow on me... :rolleyes:

The larger off-axis they move the flash from the lens, the less you will need to worry about red-eye. The problem with most point and shoots is the flash's proximity to the lens.

Taipan
May 24, 2011, 10:56 AM

It has a built-in eye so Apple doesn't need to rely on GPS data to spy on us...

3goldens
May 24, 2011, 12:01 PM
OMG from now till September!
eeeh gads, I'm sick of it already!

Reach9
May 24, 2011, 01:49 PM
By playing a bit with Photoshop's curves, you can reveal some interesting details. Notice the ring around the camera of the phone that took the picture..

Image (http://imageshack.us/m/11/615/screenshot20110524at143.png)

Looks like we're getting somewhere with this!

An iPhone 5 took a pic of the back of an iPhone 5?

That's a bit hard to believe, so is it a fake?

maclaptop
May 24, 2011, 02:08 PM

Yes it's very ambiguous. I give Apple credit for being the master manipulators they are. I'm sensing (like others) an impending new model before the holiday selling season. The benefit will be to keep up with the flurry of other brands.

The disadvantage like last year is it's bound to have a problem which Apple will ignore & ship it anyway. In turn, that will likely insure the best iPhone in ages will be iPhone 6. Since the 5 will be similar to the 4, it will save many from falling into the annual replacement trap. In addition, any problems Apple has with curved glass will also be resolved for iPhone 6.

The idea of waiting for iPhone 6 is compelling. The more i think about it, the better it feels to wait for a quality iPhone. It inspires us to have confidence that the 6 will be done right & fully sorted out.

Michael Scrip
May 24, 2011, 02:13 PM
We know.

Steve Jobs said it took 18 months to design the iPhone 4. He introduced many of the team members at the iPhone 4's launch.

Hmmmm... so iPhone 4 development started roughly in January 2009.

With all that hard work out of the way... moving the camera flash and adding a faster processor shouldn't be too hard then :D

hglk
May 24, 2011, 05:42 PM

arn

One with the same Back cover...

Very suspicious...

OrangeSVTguy
May 24, 2011, 06:41 PM

The reflection of the camera camera from another white/black iPhone. You can see the apple in the reflection and the antenna border too.

Looks kinda cool and are the edges beveled? Looks like it to me.

gooddog
May 24, 2011, 09:08 PM
I want to know if they are going to ruin the look of the 5 by making the
edge look like a bath tub as they did with the iPad2.

If so, I will get the 4 and hang on to it forever.

Also, a larger screen may be desired. But the way it is framed ( with no side bezel and fat top/bottom bezels ) looks awful; very un-Apple! NOW, if Apple were to eliminate the top and bottom bezels as well by making the home button virtual and moving the earspeaker/mic to the top and bottom edges, then the entire face would become a black monolith. I would definitely monkey-dance around that and hurl a leg bone into the air.

Of course, I expect royalties aplenty for this design concept and tech solution.--

---gooddog

caspersoong
May 27, 2011, 07:52 AM
Does this lend anything to the curved glass theory?